“Perfect combination of comfort and convenience”
Review of Red Mullions

Red Mullions
Ranked #2 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, VA
“Perfect combination of comfort and convenience”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We arrived the day after the heavy January snowfall, thankful simply to be off the road and in a warm place. We were welcomed, assured that we could keep our room an additional two days, carefully advised about local restaurants and transport into central Oxford, and generally given everything we needed. The room was spotless and comfortable--really good bed linens--there was free wireless, shops and restaurants were a quick walk away, and the bus stop for the ten-minute ride into Oxford was directly in front of the guesthouse. Breakfast was excellent and copious. We were "stranded" at the Red Mullions for three nights, two more than we'd expected--but it was the perfect place to be. I'll be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2009

This could have been so much better and I would still recommend Red Mullions if needing to stay in the Headington area. The room was very clean and well appointed including a nice set of tea, coffee and biscuits on arrival, TV with DVD and free wireless access. Breakfast is cooked to order and the host is a pleasant chap who will help finding whatever you need locally - the Cafe Noir restuarant and the Black Boy bar and restaurant come highly recommended to travellers and deservedly so.
The thing that spoiled it for me was being situated in close proximity to one of the main boilers. That's not a bad thing in itself but when the stupid thing ends up waking you up both mornings by springing into very noisy action at 4.20am(!!), it becomes almost a joke with it switching on and off every five minutes. After a complaint the next morning, I was told the timer wasn't set for earlier than 6.30am and would be checked and a service call logged. After returning in the evening, I was then told an engineer couldn't make it that day but would be arriving the day I left. Great. Anybody with a sense of customer service would have switched the faulty timer off and just put it on manually when waking up the next morning - it would have been about that time given that breakfast started at 7.30am. The rooms of my other colleagues on business weren't affected by this problem and seemed to enjoy their stay. I would have normally given the hotel four stars and you'll do too as long as you don't get put in room 11!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
hbahlhbahl, Owner at Red Mullions, responded to this review, April 11, 2010
We value all feedback so thank you for taking the time to complete a review.

I thought you would be pleased to know that we have invested money on our business following your specific comments in relation to your stay in Room 11. We have re-located the boiler in question as a result of your honest and constructive feedback.
Perth WA
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The location suited me well - frequent buses into town. The rooms that face London Road are extremely noisy at night. The shower was also incredibly loud, the water didn't flow properly and was cold in the morning (the pump/flow/temp box on the wall of the shower sounded like a machine gun). There was a strong smell of mould in the bathroom. A teaspoon on the hospitality tray in my room was filthy. Luke was very hospitable and professional but even if the rates were more reasonable, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank GingerMonaro
Gibraltar, Europe
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Red Mullions is well located for someone visiting Oxford and then relying on public transport to get around. The hotel is clean - has signs of wear and tear, but it is clearly very busy. It was a house converted into a B and B - so I was aware of the other guests around (not like an impersonal hotel) I wondered if others could hear my TV on - but no one complained).

Breakfast seemed a bit cramped - we only had an hour at the weekend, and I had to wait for a table. I was told that "breakfast is always very busy" - well if they would give guests a bigger window of time, it might make it less rushed - I for one would have gone later. Maybe this is typical in this sort of establishment.

Overall a pleasant stay but it was expensive. Oxford seems expensive. I think another time I might stay further out, hire and car and use the park and ride.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We had a delightful weekend stay at the Red Mullions Guest House. It is outside of Oxford in Heddington about 2 miles outside of Oxford, but on bus routes. The rooms were tastefully decorated. The staff very attentive and quite helpful with questions. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingClinton
paignton
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I recently stayed for a few nights whilst my husband was attending the N.O.C. for surgery,a stressful time for me made better by the excellent care and service shown to me for the duration of my stay nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere was always pleasant,regarding location,the guest house is perfect for hospital visiting and no worries re;parking the car easily when returning ,a real bonus in a busy area such as Oxford,my sister joined me for a short while and we had an easy time hopping on the bus into Oxford,so handy for sightseeing in general,many restaurants nearby Thankyou Pami,Harminder,Luke&Marja,you work hard and deserve success .................Vivian Alderson

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Essex
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed for a weekend in the family (top-floor) room. The room was comfortable and well-equipped, although some minor maintenance issues were found, the management seem too be on top of them.

Location is GREAT a short bus ride from Oxford town centre, and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for the bus across the road. With off-street parking this makes Red Mullions ideal for exploring Oxford.

We ate out at the Britannia - nice food and good service.

Overall, very happy and found the price quite reasonable. Wi-Fi was a nice bonus.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple