“Great location for visiting Oxford” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Mullions

Red Mullions
Ranked #2 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location for visiting Oxford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This B&B worked out nicely for our visit to Oxford: a large room with renovated bathroom, parking, great location across from the bus stop and a delicious breakfast the next day. The inn's owner Luke also gave us great advice about how to make the most of our time (and the remaining daylight) after we arrived in town later than planned. The bathroom was perhaps the nicest surprise here, well-renovated with a large shower stall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
redmullions, Manager at Red Mullions, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear washingtondcgirl,

Thank you for getting 2013 off to such a possitive start for the team at Red Mullions with such a glowing review.
The painting of all the public areas and the replacement of the doors is also complete. Of the16 bedrooms all bar two have now had their bathrooms refurbished.
We look forward to welcoming back sometime soon.

Kind regards

Luke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here last night (room 15), at short notice as I had to visit my Uni, but I was found a room. From arrival to departure very friendly staff, decor was better than you find in many large hotel chains, didn't have breakfast but the smell was tempting. Parking a bit tight if you have a big car, but avoid trying to get in during rush hour as Oxford drivers don't seem to be polite and let you cross the road!!!!

I should be keeping this quiet really as there wont be room for me next time!!!!!

I would be more than happy to stay again when back at the Uni, and good pub just up the road too

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
redmullions, Manager at Red Mullions, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Hi Simon S,

Thank you for leaving such a favourable review. Room 15 is one of the 3 new rooms we have added recently.
We look forward to welcoming you on your return to Oxford.

regards

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

So pleased to find this very well run and comfortable guest house so close to the John Radcliffe Hospital where I visited every day for 8 days. Just 5 minutes walk.
Room and amenities splendid with en suite bathroom and an abundance of hot water. Excellent breakfast with a choice as good as a 5star hotel but always served by the Host in a friendly manner,
He was helpful, informative and very kind at a very strenous period for me and I really felt at peace when I returned each night after my hospital visits. If I ever returned to Oxford I would always seek accommodation at this welcoming house

Room Tip: My first room was No 12 on the ground floor and was excellent
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Maureen H
redmullions, Manager at Red Mullions, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hi Maureen H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
Really sorry I was not here when you left. i sincerely hope that hubby is recovering.
I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Warmest regards

Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Whenever I have to stay in Oxford this is always the first B&B I try. It's popular, so I'm only able to book in occasionally. Other places I've stayed don't compare well. My room was clean and stylish. Breakfast is good. So glad they use free range eggs. Have yet to ask if the bacon and sausages are British, i.e. from well treated pigs. The owners are lovely. Herbal tea in the room would be good. I love this place and am loathe to recommend it because it'll become even harder to get in.

• Stayed December 2012
Hi Cheddar-George,

As we have added 3 new rooms your chances of getting a room has increased however, I do suggest you book well in advance. The sausages are locally sourced and I have it on good authority that the pigs are very well treated.

We look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good location, great room (14), pleasant owner, decent service, and better than average breakfast after a quiet nights sleep in massive comfortable bed.
On site parking very helpful.....but rubbish shower with little or no flow unless you sat on cubicle floor, and no bath alternative in a small bathroom!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crbarton
redmullions, Manager at Red Mullions, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear crbarton,

Thank you for your review.

The shower pressure issue has been resolved.

kind regards

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very pleasant stay - and to be recommended. I needed to find a guest house close to the John Radcliffe Hospital at short notice recently while my infant son was in for a major operation, and was very grateful that someone had recommended the Red Mullions Guest House to me. The friendly and easy-going owner proved very helpful, understanding and informative from the outset when I made the room booking by telephone; and the warm welcome continued on arrival and throughout my short stay. Due to repair works that were ongoing (repainting of doors / rooms on the second floor) I was given a nice room up on the top floor with a separate bathroom for the first night. And on the second night (at no additional cost) I was moved downstairs to one of the newly refurbished en-suite rooms on the ground floor, to faciliate some of the ongoing renovations. Both rooms that I stayed in were comfortable and well-appointed, especially the newly refurbished en-suite room on the ground floor (which was probably akin to a decent 4* hotel bedroom). There was ample car parking for guests outside the property. The guest house was really well located for hospital visits - just 5/10 mins walk away. It was also conveniently located for all the local facilities (shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs, take-aways, supermarkets, etc.) in Headington, as well as being right next to one of the bus stops serving both Oxford city centre and the Universities etc. The cooked full English breakfasts were very tasty, well proportioned and freshly prepared to order. Overall I would heavily recommend this guest house - for me it proved to be an oasis of calm during an otherwise stressful and emotional few days. Many thanks to the owner and staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated en-suite rooms on the ground floor wing towards the rear of the p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank The_Monkey_Keeper
redmullions, Manager at Red Mullions, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hi The Monkey Kee,

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We really do appreciate it.
We are in the process of changing all the room doors and most of the bathrooms have been or in the process of being refurbished and should be complted by the end of the year.

I look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Oxford.

Regards

Redhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this B&B for its good reviews on this website and for its good location/transport links and, overall, we were pretty satisfied with it. We had a pleasant double room with ensuite shower and this was warm and comfortable, with good double glazing against the noise of the busy street outside (which we barely heard). There was plenty of drawer and hanging space, a flatscreen tv and (nice touch) a dvd player, with a selection of dvds downstairs to borrow from. A good hairdryer was also provided, and it was no problem to have an extra towel when I asked. Breakfasts were excellent. There are 2 points that let this place down a little though:

1. Cleanliness of glasses/tea trays in the room: on arrival we found dirty glasses in our room, and the kettle was dusty. It also looked like tea cups and spoons were only rinsed out under the tap during our stay, rather than replaced and put through the dishwasher when the room was serviced. I thought this was a little shoddy, a shame because a tea tray is usually a nice touch and, on the positive side, they did provide water and nice biscuits.

2. The state of the internal doors, ie the doors to the bedrooms. All of these look like they've had a good kicking over the years and could do with replacing, or at least a lick of paint! They're quite chipped and battered in appearance and let the place down. The decor in the breakfast room also looks a bit tired.

Neither of these points is deal-breaking but, for £100 a night, I would expect such things to be spot on.

To finish positively, though, the owners are very friendly and helpful, both before and during our stay, with local information, taxi numbers etc. And the location certainly is convenient, with a bus stop right outside and frequent services to/from Oxford centre. I would still stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caroline C
redmullions, Owner at Red Mullions, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Caroline
Many thanks for your well thought out and balanced review, in particular the positive elements. I would like to respond specifically to the 2 points you have noted that let our guest house down.
1 - no excuses necessary, this is wrong and has been addressed and now features permanently on our daily checklist.

2 - you are quite right the doors do appear and have had a good kicking over the years! We found painting them regularly a rather inadequate solution over the busy summer periods and has only proved to cosmetically improve the appearance on a short term basis sometimes days due to the high footfall and damage caused by luggage. The good news is that we have started a door replacement program in Sept '12 and this was impossible to continue throughout October due to the high demand for rooms combined with the need to take the room out of use (for a day or two) and the associated noise / mess with a complete replacement of fire rated bedroom door. This work continues from this weekend and is a phased program to replace all bedroom and other chipped communal doors over the coming weeks. These new doors are hopefully far more robust than the one's we have inherited.

I'm so pleased you do state that these 2 reasons alone would not deter you from staying again and your comments about expecting every detail to be spot on are not unreasonable. We would love to have you visit Red Mullions in any future stay in Oxford and once again many thanks for your balanced review which I trust will be of use for other viewers and potential guests.