“Very Good Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #78 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
New Delhi, India
“Very Good Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed at two hotels a day each before moving into Happy Lodge. and then I stayed there for 10 days at stretch. The owner was really friendly and very accommodating, and she will make you feel like home. The room was clean. spacious and airy especially the double room. I would reccommend Happy lodge anytime.

Vineet Bhardwaj

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bhardwaj_vineet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

I've stayed in 3 types of rooms at Happylodge and very much enjoyed the whole experience there.The rooms ware clean and well ordered, with a lovely view onto the street below and an excellent bus service. Access to computer facilities was also appreciated. Hope to be back in the not-too-distant future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Happy Lodge is by Oxford's standards a budget price hotel. As such it meets the basic requirements of being generally clean and possessing a comfortable, if somewhat firm, bed. Happy Lodge also has good parking and is on an excellent, reliable bus service. However, in other respects and based on our experience, it fell short of acceptable standards in the following respects: customer service was cursory; our en-suite was too en-suite with only an ill-fitting glass panel door separating the bathroom from the bedroom; the shower had no power, there was little knee room between the toilet bowl and the toilet sink and the bathroom light was literally on the blink; the televison had extremely poor, analogue reception; the bedroom furniture was ill-matched and partly damaged; the wardrobe door could not be opened properly. On the whole I expect you get what you pay for but on this occasion I felt decidely short changed. Modest proprietorial investment would produce a much improved experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank visitor1Yorkshire

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

very friendly and accomadating . . . found room very clean and tidy and warm not like some i've stayed in.breakfast was good, well worth a visit

• Liked — clean and tidy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2008

Paying a room price that is much lower than other Bed and Breakfast lodging places in Oxford, I expected to see Happy Lodge as an average place just for passing nights. So, when I arrived at the place, I was surprised to see a well-kept house with a driveway behind well-kept bushes at the front. I also expected to be given a small and cramped room, but again, I was surprised when the owner of the place showed me a big room upstairs. The room was not only spacious but also clean and tidy. It has a clean bathroom for my exclusive use. The owner is a extremely nice and friendly lady who is willing to answer questions about the City of Oxford and its vicinity. I was served with a typical English breakfast. While having breakfast, I found that right outside the breakfast room window is a beautiful garden with a variety of plants and flowers. I had a walk in the garden and discovered that it has an indoor swimming pool. The pity is that it is not in use. There is a lounge area upstairs outside my room. There is also a micro-oven with which guests can heat their food. It is a truly thoughtful arrangement, but some guests cooked a lot in the oven, giving the lounge area a strong smell of food. I missed breakfast one morning due to oversleep. I was surprised to be told by the owner that she would take a few pounds off my bill. This was another nice surprise. The lodge has sets of antique furnature that gives a sense of history typical of Oxford. All in all, my stay at Happy Lodge was a extremely pleasant experience full of nice surprises. I think it is a best kept secret at Oxford for visitors who want to balance budget and quality. I would recommend the place to anyone who will visit Oxford.
Milton, Texas, USA

• Liked — reasonable price and quality of service
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Cowboy2008
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

This B&B was disgusting! We were told there were no double rooms, only a family room left but when we got there it didn't seem like there were any other guests, there were no other cars and no noise at all from anyone else, think she was just on a con !!! We were lucky enough to only be staying in Kidlington due to a friends party for 1 night, we only lived 35 minutes away so I decided it would be safer NOT to use the bathroom and to wait till I got home to shower etc, there were dirty FOOT prints all over the mats in the bedroom too. The whole house stank of horible cooking, which I also stank of after leaving ! All the furniture was out of date and looked like it was all picked up from a 2nd hand shop but worse ! AND we had to pay £60 for this rubbish quality ! We would have been better off in a Travelodge, simple, but at least it's clean. We decided not to risk breakfast. Don't bother staying here, you WILL be disappointed

• Liked — Nothing, it was close to the location of our party and that's about it!
  • Disliked — Dirtyness!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah L
yebass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

I arrived and was immediately hassled to pay for my entire stay, the woman basically ripped my wallet out of my pocket and started fishing around for my credit card. My room was ok, although the TV was broken. The toilet in the hallway had no toilet paper and no hand wash. There was no cooked breakfast available, instead I was given a choice of out of date bran flakes or nothing. I would not recommend this B&B, I certainly will not be going back.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business