“Comfy and not bad for a night”

Hollybush Guest House
Ranked #65 of 83 Oxford B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Comfy and not bad for a night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our room was quite big and had a nice ensuite bathroom. The room was equipped with a tv/DVD player and the Wifi connection was really good. Breakfast was pretty good and we felt content afterward.
The only thing which stops me from giving it 5 stars is the fact the shower was a bit dirty.
Overall, not a bad place and the landlady was quite nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusannahPK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked this b&b on the Internet and chose it because it was near a friends house and seemed to be located on a good bus route.
Let me tell you more about my stay and my awful experience there.
The first thing you need to know is that the landlady was the daughter of the owners. .
She apparently didn't know how to run a business and seemed very confused and unhelpful .
I booked a single room .
When I got there , I found myself in this small tiny room that made me think of a prison cell. Plus, it was really noisy and poorly equipped.
The next bad thing I noticed was the fact that you had to share both the bathroom and the toilet with four other rooms.
The first night, i went to a party with a friend and came back quite late.
My friend couldn't make it home safely so I had to bring him in.
Other guests apparently complained and the landlady told me that if I needed a two person bedroom, it would be 20£ more.
I made it up to her, excused myself and gave her the money to show how sorry I was and promised it wouldn't happen again.
From this point , everything went wrong.
The lady becam arrogant , suspicious, rude and condescending.
She managed to make me feel very I welcomed, refused to clean my room and to give me cleaned towels.
So I helped myself from the cupboard to get some clean towels.
The lady turned mad, locked the doors of every other room, apparently fearing I would bring my friend back in.
She apparently went paranoid to a point where she knocked at my late at night to confront me and saying that I was an intruder trying to sabotage her business.

This stay made me regret to have picked a b&b.
I will never ever go back there again and felt the need to testimony how this lady made me feel so unwelcomed .
She did a poor job at keeping a pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Molopolo

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This place seemed a little overpriced for its location and condition.

On the plus side, the room was comfortable, though a little small. It was clean and quiet (it overlooked the back yard). The breakfast was also very good. The owner was pleasant and helpful with my questions.

On the negative side, the B&B is a ways out of town--you need to take a bus or walk quite a distance to get there if you don't have a car. Also, the B&B is about a mile from the nearest restaurant. At 50 pounds, it seemed a little overpriced for the location and the room size.

A Warning: If you are walking the Thames Path, as I was, be aware that there is another Holly Bush in Oxford--one that is right next to the Thames Path. I thought I had booked there but, after walking all day, had the rude surprise of learning that the Holly Bush at which I had a reservation was this Guest House, which is not anywhere near the Thames. While this was my mistake--not checking the address carefully--the owner was unsympathetic and unwilling to release me from the required two- day's notice to cancel without a full charge. She was aware I was walking the Thames Path (Holly Bush Guest House is NOT near the Thames Path) and she was aware of the other Holly Bush on the Thames Path. I was also not the first person to have made this mistake. She could have at least double-checked when I supplied my credit card in good faith that I really wanted to stay at the Holly Bush out of town instead of the one right next to the Thames. The last thing I wanted to do after walking all day (and wanting to enjoy downtown Oxford) was to schlep myself to a place out of town, but I did, as I didn't want to waste the 50 pounds. I did very much appreciate the fact that they offered me a ride back to the Thames Path the next morning but really, at the time of the booking, I made it clear I was a Thames Path walker, and I would have appreciated the courtesy of a double-check.

As an aside, the Holly Bush next to the Thames Path had an extremely helpful owner who assisted me in finding the right bus to the Holly Bush Guest House. The Holly Bush next to the Thames is a pub, with frills-free (and probably loud) rooms, but is is next to the Thames. I had a nice pint there while I was deciding what to do about the mistaken booking.

So, overall, a pleasant enough visit, but only average, and overpriced.

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 1 night - traveling as a couple. We got room 4. Thought it was an excellent warm, friendly and very convenient place. Would have given it 10 stars if possible.
1) Cleaniness: Lovely made room with clean bathrooms and toilet. Nice soft bed - clean bedding.
2) Atmosphere: Very friendly, warm and welcoming. Cute decorations, cosey dining room, generally very pleasant.
3) Location: Located on the main road, just 1 min walk from bus stops that run very frequently to city. Only takes about 10 mins to city. We left our car onsite and took bus to Oxford.
4) Comfort/sleep: Despite being on the main road, barely heard any traffic. Comfortable bed and extra warm Donna.
5) Services/extras: The owner not only did the laundry but also folded them all neatly for us while we were exploring the city!!! There is free parking on sight. Wifi is of good quality. The place had a fantastic breakfast - honestly one of the best I've had. The full English breakfast comes with perfectly cooked eggs, the usual gambit but also lovely home made jams!

Overall, will recommend this place to friends and will stay here again next time.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank L K
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We needed overnight accommodation which we picked from the internet. Easy to find, older property but bed was very comfortable, everything was provided, washing facilities in room were modern and tea/coffee provided in room. Given a warm welcome and our luggage was taken to our room, good advice given on very good and regular bus service into City Centre (not worth taking the car) and bus stop is just two minutes from guest house. Lovely breakfast with everything on offer but you just had to ask if you wanted something different or some more. On a busy main road but we were not disturbed by road noise due to secondary double glazing. Would definitely go there again if we needed to. Good value for money and it was warm.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nannydorset
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Small friendly guesthouse. Willing to help in any way - I had to leave early in the mornings and were happy to prepare breakfast early.

Room Tip: I had a shared bathroom and it was fine