“A little disappointing, but nice breakfast.”

Hollybush Guest House
Ranked #64 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Oxford, UK
“A little disappointing, but nice breakfast.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

It was tough to decide whether to give this bed and breakfast a poor or average rating as I don't want to seem harsh, but I have rated it poor because I thought about my first impressions on arriving and also whether I would go back or recommend it, which I don't think I would.

I stayed for one night quite recently. The guest house is eays to find and conveniently located close to a bus stop. If you want walking distance to the city centre then this isn't for you, but the buses run very frequently and get you there swiftly. There is a car park which can be hard to find in Oxford so that is a plus.

The room was probably what I found the most disappointing. It just looked quite tired and when I walked in I didn't think "Oh wow how nice" but more just "Oh...". I think because of the older furniture and the marked paintwork it made the room look a bit dirty, but I'm sure it probably wasn't. There was an en suite which was fine, but again did need updating and sprucing up. There was a hospitality tray and kettle, but not too much space if you wanted to put clothing away. The road noise at night unfortunately meant I didn't sleep well at all. The room was facing the road and the 'pillow end' of the bed was actually against the window (!) so that probably didn't help. Maybe other rooms are better, but if you can't sleep with noise, I wouldn't recommend rooms at the front! The road does have traffic all night.

The breakfast was nice and that's what I would say gives this place plus points. There were some cereals to choose from to start, and then there was a choice of cooked breakfast or eggs and toast and this was tasty.

The landlady was polite and friendly but didn't really chat much. I think overall, I found the decor a bit of a let down and the room I was in was too noisy. I have stayed in several B&Bs all over the country, but for the price I don't think this was worth it in comparision to the others.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room facing the road...very noisy at night!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed in 6 B&B's on our holiday and this was somewhere in the middle.

Good - easy bus into the centre of town. Parking out the front including letting me leave it there whilst we explored the city the next day. Excellent breakfast. Room 2 was quiet even though it was on the street.

Not so good - plumbing, our group had 2 rooms and neither toilet would flush without a lot of mucking around. Looks like damp has been painted over in one bathroom (room 2). Room 1 smelt like it had just been painted.

No maps offered of the city, we got one at every other place we stayed. No wi-fi.

Overall if they fix the plumbing I'd have no problem staying there agai as it is clean and on good street.

• Stayed September 2011
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Hollybush is a good value for those on a budget. The average lodging in Oxford is a bit on the high side, and the Hollybush provided a nice balance between cost and proximity to the city centre. Access is simple via a city bus, direct to the centre. The rooms are, as mentioned by others, quite small (it appears that the large rooms of the past were subdivided). However, our room was comfy, with all the comforts of a good B&B. The host also gets bonus points for her offer of some toys for our toddler.

Although our room's window faced the busy Banbury Rd., the extra paned window helped so much that we had a nice, undisturbed sleep. The breakfast is a fine full English, with some cereal to start. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

The owner of this guesthouse seemed nice but I was literally shocked when I saw the room. I booked a standard single (non-ensuite) and it was a rip off - for almost £50 I got the smallest room you can imagine (not even 2m wide I think). If I had a suitcase, I wondered where or whether I could have placed it in the room. There was something like a desk as well, but I literally had to remove a shelf in order to be able to open my laptop on it (wireless wasn't working either -- apparently it worked downstairs, but I didn't bother to check). If you are claustrophobic, don't choose this gueshouse. Apart from the shocking size, I have to say the room looked shabby, the carpet was old and stained, and it generally looked depressing. It was worse than rooms in student halls in terms of both size and quality of furniture. It was also noisy, facing the ringroad. I could not wait to leave this place. Breakfast was nice, however, fresh coffee, orange juice, and other cooked options. Shower room was nice too, and much more spacious compared to the room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Great location on regular bus near Summertown in Oxford. Rooms good although no ensuite in our room. Great breakfast on both days. Easy, free parking (tricky normally in Oxford). Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Inca06
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

I stayed at Hollybush for 4 days. The owners are very welcoming and rooms are clean. The English Breakfast was superb too! The free WiFi was a convenience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

I fisrt stayed here with my daughter in 2006 and would have written a very different review; it is certainly declining in terms of standards since then; needs a good freshen up ; we asked for twin roomand wer given a double bed and fold up bed with a very thin matress with all the usual lumps and bumps which made it difficult to sleep on- not really what we had paid for and were told we would get ; traffic noise outside the window is a bit of an issue despite double glazing
i agree with comments re the owner - more than a little casual and offhanded; the location however is brilliant - straight bus trip to the centre of the city; next time I'll do some more searching to see if other places near by are available. There is no lack of places near including the place next door!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family