“My alma mater - beautiful, friendly and always in my heart”

St Catherine's College
Ranked #112 of 177 things to do in Oxford
Auckland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My alma mater - beautiful, friendly and always in my heart”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was lucky enough to enjoy the honour of studying for my Bachelor of Arts Honours degree as an undergraduate at St Catherine's and called it my home for three years.

Many changes occurred during that time - including the trees in the - bizarrely circular -quad... and the construction of the lovely new accommodation blocks.

I have, of course, been back to visit many times since, and am always proud to bring friends and family to see my college.

The 60's architecture of the original block, designed by Danish architect Arne Jacobsen really sets it apart from other Oxford colleges: but it is certainly no less beautiful.

Populated with his iconic '3107' chairs, Arne-designed items are everywhere: from the light switches to the cutlery in the Hall. (It's possible that this is only reserved for special occasions these days, as I believe the 'shrinkage' rate was quite high...).

There are a number of intriguing features to explore... the bell tower, an outdoor theatre, and the peculiar quad with its almost open ended design and hedge-wall-hedge-wall structures... great for playing hide and seek, or just jumping out from!

Be sure to check out the amazing bronze sculpture by Dame Barbara Hepworth too... and see if you notice an uncanny resemblance to the late (great) Kenneth Williams...

Visited January 2011