Tower House
$383
$371
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$100
$149
$121
$115
Official Site
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$91
PremierInn.com
$137
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsturl street kitchenshared bathroomjade roomjesus collegeyellow roomb bexeter collegesocial enterpriseperfect locationold buildingcontinental breakfastensuite roomgloucester greenby uk standardsquiet streettop floormodern bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed for four nights in the Bastion room. A nice, big double bed; window looking out towards a backyard (and you can just see Balliol college over the rooftops, approx. 100 m. away); big closet with lots of hangers; a chest of drawers with tea- and coffemaker (tea and coffee were available, as well as milk, sugar, even a small packet of biscuits on arrival); a nice, round table with chairs – excellent workspace! Also, a good en-suite bathroom with a shower: not exactly spacious, but perfectly fine, and with an easy to understand shower (and enough hot water to get me going in the morning, too). I checked in on a Sunday, which wasn't a problem as the Turl Street Kitchen handled the check-in procedure. Breakfast at the Turl Street Kitchen was very nice, and the staff there is friendly and the fare is excellent. And the atmosphere is nice, too.

Wayne, the manager of the Tower House, was very helpful all through my stay, and there was no problem stashing my suitcase in the lounge on check-out day for the extra hours before I headed off to the airport.

I've stayed at the Randolph, and I actually prefer the Tower House – it may not have the aura of the Randolph, but it's excellent value for money, a real gem of a place. Just make sure you know what you're booking: there ARE rooms without an en-suite, so double-check when you make your reservations that you have the one you want!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dick_Claesson
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Although I did not stay at the Tower House in the end, I am amazed by the great service and the prompt communication (via emails) immediately after I made the booking online. Charis, the hotel staff, checked with me the time of arrival so that they can arrange in advance. As I was planning to arrive on a Sunday, but the reception is only operating from Mon to Sat, Charis has arranged the check-in to be handled by the sister resturant next door. My booking initially overlapped with another booking such that I had to change rooms for the second night. Although I was fine with that, the staff made an effort to move some bookings so that I could stay in the same room for both nights. Overall, although I am not staying at the Tower House due to a change of plans, I am very pleased with the service and would definitely stay here the next time.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a very enjoyable two night stay at the Tower House Hotel in Oxford. The location can't be beat. It was walking distance to the bus station (we came from London on the bus) and though a bit further, we also walked to the train station to travel down to Southhampton when we left. This was even pulling our suitcases.

We got to Oxford around noon and went straight to the Tower House where we were able to leave our suitcases in our room. The maid was just finishing up cleaning and they let us check in early. The fellow in charge, Wayne, was nice.

I would give the place an Excellent, but as with many places in Europe, there was no air conditioning, no fan, no phone, and no clock. Also, there was a fat duvet on the bed, but no top sheet (another common occurance in England). With it being so warm in the room, it made it less comfortable sleeping. If we'd only had a nice, thin top sheet!! These things are expected in Europe, but still make it slightly less than excellent, yet very, very good!

The room (Jade on the second floor) was comfortable and attractive and had three nice, double-glazed windows that look out over Ship Street (the side street off one of the main streets in Oxford). I loved the fact that on the other side of Ship Street is a high wall and the gardens and buildings of one of the colleges - Jesuit College. We could also see students passing on the street just below us. It was delightful!

There was a tea-making set in the room with good quality Twining tea and some coffee. The included breakfast just down the street (very close) at Turl Kitchen is absolutely wonderful! The people there are so nice and they have tables reserved for Tower guests. They offer a large selection of food. The first morning we got poached eggs, sausage sandwich, yogurt & fruit mixture, danish roll, and hot tea. The second morning we scaled down since that turned out to be really more than we could eat. We sat at a table looking out the big street-side window and watched as Oxford students in their flowing black gowns walked or biked to class.

Although the cost of this room was the most expensive of any of the six hotels we stayed in Europe (at 110 GBP per night for May 19 & 20), I believe prices in Oxford are above average in cost -- and this was one of the two nicest rooms we stayed in as well.

We absolutely loved Oxford and visited perhaps ten of the colleges during our stay. Some of them are free to visit, and some charge a few pounds, but they are so lovely and each has its own personality. There are about 40 colleges in Oxford. If you enjoy history and architecture, I'd suggest you might want to stay three nights and see even more colleges than we had time for.

We loved eating at Turf Tavern - see my review of that restaurant.

I would recommend staying at Tower House - and would do so again if we ever have the opportunity to visit the wonderful town of Oxford again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoyfulWriter
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My adult daughter and I were there to visit with family, and found the location perfect for getting around the city. This is a very quaint and charming 17th century hotel, in the heart of the city. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The nearby Turl Kitchen served several choices for breakfast, by friendly and engaging serving staff. We stayed in the Jade room which was quite adequate for two people, and nicely decorated in keeping with the period. The hotel is in need of an uplift, mainly with the carpeting in the rooms, entrance, and stairways. They are a little tired and shabby. New renovations are planned by management. I don't recommend it to those with mobility issues; no lifts, nor to those used to big hotels, but otherwise, the Tower House offers a wonderful chance to experience a lovely piece of Oxford history.

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms, 4 of which are ensuite. Our ensuite room, the Jade Room, was right on Ship Street, and although there is a lot of foot traffic, we didn't not find it disturbing at all. There is no A/C, and no lifts
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

An old and charming house just off Cornmarket in central Oxford. For one night this was good accommodation for us, although if staying for longer I might contemplate booking an ensuite room since the shared bathroom needed some repair of the ceiling. The staff was very friendly and lent us umbrellas. There was also free wifi in the house. Breakfast was served in a next door café (included in the price) and we could pick and choose what we liked from the menu. The café was nice and we were very satisfied with our food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family