Tower House
Orbitz.com
$112
$100
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$96
$80
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
$105
$99
Official Site
All reviewsturl street kitchenshared bathroomjade roomjesus collegeyellow roomexeter collegesocial enterpriseperfect locationold buildingcontinental breakfastensuite roomgloucester greenby uk standardsquiet streettop floormodern bathrooma wonderful place to stay
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a very enjoyable two night stay at the Tower House Hotel in Oxford. The location can't be beat. It was walking distance to the bus station (we came from London on the bus) and though a bit further, we also walked to the train station to travel down to Southhampton when we left. This was even pulling our suitcases.

We got to Oxford around noon and went straight to the Tower House where we were able to leave our suitcases in our room. The maid was just finishing up cleaning and they let us check in early. The fellow in charge, Wayne, was nice.

I would give the place an Excellent, but as with many places in Europe, there was no air conditioning, no fan, no phone, and no clock. Also, there was a fat duvet on the bed, but no top sheet (another common occurance in England). With it being so warm in the room, it made it less comfortable sleeping. If we'd only had a nice, thin top sheet!! These things are expected in Europe, but still make it slightly less than excellent, yet very, very good!

The room (Jade on the second floor) was comfortable and attractive and had three nice, double-glazed windows that look out over Ship Street (the side street off one of the main streets in Oxford). I loved the fact that on the other side of Ship Street is a high wall and the gardens and buildings of one of the colleges - Jesuit College. We could also see students passing on the street just below us. It was delightful!

There was a tea-making set in the room with good quality Twining tea and some coffee. The included breakfast just down the street (very close) at Turl Kitchen is absolutely wonderful! The people there are so nice and they have tables reserved for Tower guests. They offer a large selection of food. The first morning we got poached eggs, sausage sandwich, yogurt & fruit mixture, danish roll, and hot tea. The second morning we scaled down since that turned out to be really more than we could eat. We sat at a table looking out the big street-side window and watched as Oxford students in their flowing black gowns walked or biked to class.

Although the cost of this room was the most expensive of any of the six hotels we stayed in Europe (at 110 GBP per night for May 19 & 20), I believe prices in Oxford are above average in cost -- and this was one of the two nicest rooms we stayed in as well.

We absolutely loved Oxford and visited perhaps ten of the colleges during our stay. Some of them are free to visit, and some charge a few pounds, but they are so lovely and each has its own personality. There are about 40 colleges in Oxford. If you enjoy history and architecture, I'd suggest you might want to stay three nights and see even more colleges than we had time for.

We loved eating at Turf Tavern - see my review of that restaurant.

I would recommend staying at Tower House - and would do so again if we ever have the opportunity to visit the wonderful town of Oxford again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoyfulWriter
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My adult daughter and I were there to visit with family, and found the location perfect for getting around the city. This is a very quaint and charming 17th century hotel, in the heart of the city. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The nearby Turl Kitchen served several choices for breakfast, by friendly and engaging serving staff. We stayed in the Jade room which was quite adequate for two people, and nicely decorated in keeping with the period. The hotel is in need of an uplift, mainly with the carpeting in the rooms, entrance, and stairways. They are a little tired and shabby. New renovations are planned by management. I don't recommend it to those with mobility issues; no lifts, nor to those used to big hotels, but otherwise, the Tower House offers a wonderful chance to experience a lovely piece of Oxford history.

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms, 4 of which are ensuite. Our ensuite room, the Jade Room, was right on Ship Street, and although there is a lot of foot traffic, we didn't not find it disturbing at all. There is no A/C, and no lifts
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

An old and charming house just off Cornmarket in central Oxford. For one night this was good accommodation for us, although if staying for longer I might contemplate booking an ensuite room since the shared bathroom needed some repair of the ceiling. The staff was very friendly and lent us umbrellas. There was also free wifi in the house. Breakfast was served in a next door café (included in the price) and we could pick and choose what we liked from the menu. The café was nice and we were very satisfied with our food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to Oxford fo the graduation of my daughter. I stayed at the 'yellow room' for two nights.Although a bit dated the hotel is in a very good location at the heart of Oxford. Excelent breakfast at cafe/restaurant 'Turl St Kitchen' which was included at the price of the room. Fine servise with very nice staff members both at the hotel and the restaurant. Andoubtedly a nice experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Waited on the street for twenty minutes to be let in, in the middle of the day. Otherwise fine service. Both staff members I dealt with were very nice.

I stayed in the 'yellow room' for one night. The floors and ceilings were low and slanted with age, which did not bother me but could be a turnoff to some. The bed was comfortable, and the sheets were clean but in need of replacing. No deadbolt on the door, which is a real issue for me, especially as the style of lock in the doorknob is simple to pick. The fan was really loud and impossible to sleep with, so I turned it off and slept in warmth. These issues aside, the room was nice and calm (and would be far more pleasant in less heavy weather); a lot of wear is to be expected and appreciated in a hotel of this provenance.

My issue was with the attached restaurant, 'Turl St Kitchen'. I first went in the middle of the afternoon only to be curtly, even rudely, told that they weren't serving food at that hour. I went back for dinner well after the main rush, and I was told that I could not be served because the restaurant was 'far too busy'. It was indeed busy, but there were at least four free tables, and the website and staff both told me that hotel guests are meant to have some priority. Regardless I was again abruptly turned away. Finally, I went back in the morning for the free breakfast; the coffee was bitter and the food was simply of lacking quality. If not for the admittedly charming ambiance, it would have been an overall negative experience. I would recommend Tower House to anyone, but not its Kitchen.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo