“Great Location”
Review of Tower House

Tower House
Ranked #20 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here last weekend with my wife and some friends. The Tower House is in a great, central but very quiet location. Convenient to all the tourist sites and to the park and ride bus stops.The bedroom was a good size, though the bed was a little bumpy. En-suite shower was a bit slow, but then I am used to a power shower. Continental breakfast was of a good standard and there was plenty to eat. The place was very clean. The lady who met us on the first day was extremely friendly and helpful; the gentleman on the second day not quite so. But I would stay here again if I was in Oxford

Room Tip: The Red Room at the top of the building is fairly large and has an en-suite shower and toilet
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Tower House

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a quaint B&B right in the heart of Oxford. It is the perfect location to explore the city on foot however we had a room at the front which was noisy with passers by well into the night.

Our room was an ensuite double room right at the top of the building. The narrow staircase made it difficult to bring up the luggage. The room and ensuite were basic but clean. The bed was very comfortable.

The proprietors were very nice and friendly.

Unfortunately I have to list he negatives. Our room ceiling was exceptionally low which was terrible for my husband at 6'4". The shower had no power whatsoever and wasnt exactly warm. The bathroom was so small only one person could be in there at a time.

Breakfast was only continental so we opted to miss it and go in search of a full english at one of the many Oxford cafes.

To sum up this is a nice guest house and very central however I feel the £110 per night was a bit over the top for what we got. I would have felt happier paying £80 per night. My advice would be to shop around as there are plenty of nicer hotels in Oxford in around the same price range especially if you take into account the continental breakfast offering and lack of parking. By the time you pay in a cafe for a full Englsh and add in the cost of parking there are much nicer options for the price.

Room Tip: Opt for a room at the back as hopefully it would be quieter and not on the top floor if you have lar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clare W
Reviewed January 27, 2013

First night in the UK could not have been better. Good English character (and by that I mean kind, helpful, and understanding) and comfortable furnishings. The proprietor was at the door when I arrived and allowed me to stash my stuff a couple hours early (I arrived two hours before my check-in time) and gave me advice on everything from where to park, to how to deal with bus drivers, and things to do in Oxford.

The location was outstanding too. It was Saturday, and everything was close by.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FamilyGuyFromSC
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night and had a wonderful time. We were allowed to check in early morning Saturday which was a bonus as we could leave our luggage whilst taking in the sights of Oxford during the day. The location is second to none and perfect for popping to the shops, visiting the restaurants on George Street at night, or exploring the university buildings.
Our room had huge amounts of character situated in the tower of the old town wall. It was extremely clean and had all the basics and provided a great place to relax at the end of the day with a good quality TV and high speed wifi.
The owner was very friendly and welcoming and we were provided with our own key to come and go as we pleased. It is a very informal set up but that suited us perfectly. There was a continental breakfast available until 9.30 which we missed unfortunately but the little dining room was warm and inviting and it's a shame we missed out. Would definitely stay there again, what a charming little place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonAvA
Reviewed November 28, 2012

A nice place to stay.

Had to go to Oxford for a work trip and stayed in the Jade Room.

The chap running the B and B was a gentleman. I discovered that the dry-cleaner had made a right mess of my suit and asked for an iron. The gent running the place, got his steamer out and saved the day! Above and beyond.

Also, he allowed me to keep my bags in his the B and B the day after checking out, so that I could go and explore Oxford without them. And even returned me my train pass that I'd left in my room.

Basically, I'm a bit useless, but the Tower House was great! And Oxford is lovely.

Edward

Room Tip: The jade room was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Edward H
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night in October 2012.

Some facts:

1. The location is unbeatable and you can't get more central than this. HOWEVER:
2. We paid £80 a night for a room that was so tiny you could barely move in it. We had to get ready for a wedding in here. So small the kettle and tea/coffee facilities, on a high shelf, could only be reached by standing on the edge of the bed and balancing...
3. For this price, I expected a cooked breakfast. All that was on offer was toast, warm yogurt, a few boxes of cereal, croissants on request, and some rather stale-looking ham
4. The carpets are really very grubby and worn
5. The paint is peeling from all of the walls, most notably in the shared shower room, where a flake landed on my head mid-wash. The water pressure left a lot to be desired too, and by late evening there was barely any hot water remaining.
6. The heating was not on at night, and even in the day was very weak. As such, I was really cold throughout our stay.
7. The greeting was far from warm. We were welcomed by the female manager who ranted at us for five minutes about guests using the wrong key and warned us not to make her pick it out of the lock. She did not welcome us, just complained about how much of a pain all of her other guests are. We met Wayne at breakfast on the Sunday and although he was nicer, we couldn't help feeling our request for toast was an inconvenience to him too.
8. The Tower House Hotel is extremely overpriced and it is clear why. People will continue to stay due to the excellent location, and as such the owners need do nothing other than change the beds and take the money to keep their business running.

In short, if you can put up with all of the above to be right in the centre of Oxford, then it is fine and does have a certain historical charm if you can see past peeling paint and grubby walls. I would rather walk ten minutes and stay somewhere warm and clean with a nice welcome.

Room Tip: Ask when booking, if you do book, what size your room is.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CJ0nesy
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our room was facing the street, and we were repeatedly woken up during the night by people shouting (pubs and restaurants are nearby). The ensuite bathroom was barely adequate: the shower had low water pressure, and the bathroom was very small with a low ceiling.

This is an overpriced Bed & Breakfast, and I would not recommend it. The only good thing is the central location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple