“Very pleased!”

Tower House
Ranked #21 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2012

A nice place to stay.

Had to go to Oxford for a work trip and stayed in the Jade Room.

The chap running the B and B was a gentleman. I discovered that the dry-cleaner had made a right mess of my suit and asked for an iron. The gent running the place, got his steamer out and saved the day! Above and beyond.

Also, he allowed me to keep my bags in his the B and B the day after checking out, so that I could go and explore Oxford without them. And even returned me my train pass that I'd left in my room.

Basically, I'm a bit useless, but the Tower House was great! And Oxford is lovely.

Edward

Room Tip: The jade room was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Edward H

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night in October 2012.

Some facts:

1. The location is unbeatable and you can't get more central than this. HOWEVER:
2. We paid £80 a night for a room that was so tiny you could barely move in it. We had to get ready for a wedding in here. So small the kettle and tea/coffee facilities, on a high shelf, could only be reached by standing on the edge of the bed and balancing...
3. For this price, I expected a cooked breakfast. All that was on offer was toast, warm yogurt, a few boxes of cereal, croissants on request, and some rather stale-looking ham
4. The carpets are really very grubby and worn
5. The paint is peeling from all of the walls, most notably in the shared shower room, where a flake landed on my head mid-wash. The water pressure left a lot to be desired too, and by late evening there was barely any hot water remaining.
6. The heating was not on at night, and even in the day was very weak. As such, I was really cold throughout our stay.
7. The greeting was far from warm. We were welcomed by the female manager who ranted at us for five minutes about guests using the wrong key and warned us not to make her pick it out of the lock. She did not welcome us, just complained about how much of a pain all of her other guests are. We met Wayne at breakfast on the Sunday and although he was nicer, we couldn't help feeling our request for toast was an inconvenience to him too.
8. The Tower House Hotel is extremely overpriced and it is clear why. People will continue to stay due to the excellent location, and as such the owners need do nothing other than change the beds and take the money to keep their business running.

In short, if you can put up with all of the above to be right in the centre of Oxford, then it is fine and does have a certain historical charm if you can see past peeling paint and grubby walls. I would rather walk ten minutes and stay somewhere warm and clean with a nice welcome.

Room Tip: Ask when booking, if you do book, what size your room is.
3  Thank CJ0nesy
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our room was facing the street, and we were repeatedly woken up during the night by people shouting (pubs and restaurants are nearby). The ensuite bathroom was barely adequate: the shower had low water pressure, and the bathroom was very small with a low ceiling.

This is an overpriced Bed & Breakfast, and I would not recommend it. The only good thing is the central location.

3  Thank LMJ666
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent a couple of days at the Tower House recently and had a lovely stay. The hotel has a great central location. The room was very nice, a good size, clean and well kept with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.

The breakfast was good and the hotel staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. We would stay there again and recommend it to others.

1  Thank Jude C
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Had a wonderful two day stay at Tower House. We were welcomed by Wayne, the General Manager who was absolutely the best and most patient of people for dispensing all kinds of information. Be it, what to see, historical and/or archaeological, Wayne had the info at his fingertips. The location is completely central and mere minutes from everything. The en suite room we had was large and very very comfortable. It was built in the 1600's and is definitely as "Oldly Worldly" as Oxford itself. The Continental Breakfast offered a great variety and was more than enough to start the day. I highly recommend the Tower House and look forward to staying there again on our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robert F
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Tower House along with my son and his girlfriend for their graduation from Oxford University. We found the location to be right in the centre of Oxford. The two rooms were both lovely and the owners very friendly. We have no hesitiation in recommending the Tower House to others and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

A fantastic central location ,friendly welcome, ensuite room spacious and clean continental breakfast was excellent plenty of variety. An old building filled with antiques, We would certainly stay there again and have no hesitation in recomending The Tower House.

Room Tip: We arrived by train 10 min walk to the Tower House if you want to walk around Oxford this B&B is...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple