“A little bit if pricey luxury”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

So I booked here for my 1st wedding anniversary.... We entered the entrance and my first thought was WOW until I saw the long queue for check in! After 45 minutes we were checked in.... The room was ok it didn't fully impress me but was a higher standard than I have had before. There are extras (mini bar /snacks) that are charged at an expensive amount...... So to be fair it was a once in a lifetime experience but I wouldn't pay that much again to stay

• Stayed: March 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,091)

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have stayed in many Oxford hotels over the years and have never been more disappointed. The staff were very good, however it took three attempts to get a decent room with barely adequate air conditioning. The rooms are tired, dirty marked carpets, AC not working properly, bashed furniture, cracked sinks, broken towel rail. As this has only been a hotel since 2006 and supposed to be a flagship hotel it falls short for maintenance and house-keeping, it's the little things that add up to a miserable experience.

The food is somewhat lacking too, though they did manage a 350gsm strip steak well though at £30.00 a pop a little over priced, as it came with just a huge mound of watercress, as did the beef carpaccio the previous evening which had been stacked one plate over another for hours as the only way to eat it was using a knife to scrape it off the plate. The breakfast was quite good though I would avoid the coffee offered and ask for a decent cup from the bar.

The grounds are lovely and relaxing first thing in the morning and evening, well kept. Overall the hotel is a lovely venue the staff fantastic - I will return and hopefully they will have sorted out the house-keeping and maintenance issues.

Room Tip: A wing/block, but make sure A/C are working correctly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Karen c,

Thank you for taking the time to write, I am sorry that overall you were disappointed with your stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the staff, though understand your concerns with other aspects of your experience. Please be assured that we are working hard to continually upgrade the hotel - in part some of the challenges is the sheer volume of visitors we have with the popularity of the hotel, in part it is due to the nature of the building itself. In both instances, we are working hard to continuously improve the product and services provided.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed June 13, 2014

The rooftop terrace is lovely with stunning views and good music! Staff were very friendly although ordering one jug of pimms took at least ten minutes followed by another ten waiting for it despite it being not particularly busy at all. This was a shame as the grounds and surroundings are lovely and it has a very calm and romantic feel about it. The lower level roof terrace has lovely large bean bags, quite a trendy place for quiet drink!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We visited Malmaison for Dinner in April for my partners 40th Birthday (table of 12 for private dining) Nothing was too much trouble and the service was nothing short of excellent. The food was simply divine and the waiting staff were amazing... thank you to the guy that agreed to wear a fun mask to deliver our cake!

I had close contact with the events manager Cerris leading up to the party, she is an absolute credit to the business. Thank you Cerris!

If you are visiting Oxford, or are looking for an outstanding venue then Malmaison is your place

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Ipav,

Thanks for the great review, I'm always delighted to read about our guests great experiences particularly when they are driven by the service provided by the team.

Warm Regards

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a weekend break. I have been to the Randolph before, but my companion was keen to try this place (and an American business colleague of mine was very enthusiatic about Malmaison Oxford) and I am glad we did venture into the prison!

We had a superior double in the A-wing - essentially three cells knocked into one room. Very smart, well converted, with all the key features you would expect housed in the novel charm of a prison cell. Maybe a little bit small, but if you stay in a former prison that's to be expected.

The bar was trendy, busy, and with a good selection of cocktails. We ate in the restaurant once and the food and service were excellent.

As I was driving the availabilty of parking was key. It's expensive, but this is car-hating Oxford and so you should expect that.

My only gripe was the room service breakfast - I would have preferred a cooked option. But it was not a major issue.

Overall, a fun, convenient, and good quality place to stay in Oxford.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was a birthday treat for my wife, i booked on the "Sunday Stopover" and paid extra for an upgrade at the time of booking if one was available, well worth doing. From the moment we booked in it was 1st class service all the way with the extra special touches they had done for my Wife. We Had to eat in the brasserie as part of the room rate but we were not disappointed with the quality of the food the rump steak was simply superb and my wife had Goan tiger prawn which again loved it. We had cocktails on the roof terrace which on a sunny day is a must. The cell room we had very spacious and great decorative order and great coffee i must add . The mattress was hard but eventually we got off to sleep. We will be back without a doubt and taking friends with us. This hotel is a great place, brilliant location, fantastic staff. So glad i booked the Malmasion oxford. Once again i have to thank all staff for a brilliant time.

Room Tip: Book a cell room to get the full experience of being an old prison.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nicholson_11,

Thanks for the review, I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us. As I have highlighted in many other comments and remarks, it is a pleasure to read the reviews based around the team and the service. We know we have a fantastic hotel however it is the team that gives it its heartbeat.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Pon:
-Classy but inclusive ambience
-Quality food
-Swank
-Waiter was one knowledgable don

Not pon:
-Sun (couldn't see face of yat)
-Too many waves pin cocktail

Overall pon good vibes

Storm of shadow

• Stayed: June 2014
20  Thank Shun H

Dear Shun H,

Thanks for the great review - I'm pretty sure I must be getting on a bit as I have absolutely no idea what 'pon swank' is but it looks super cool and many people find it helpful so maybe I'm alone in my lack of understanding!