“Simply Brilliant”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was a birthday treat for my wife, i booked on the "Sunday Stopover" and paid extra for an upgrade at the time of booking if one was available, well worth doing. From the moment we booked in it was 1st class service all the way with the extra special touches they had done for my Wife. We Had to eat in the brasserie as part of the room rate but we were not disappointed with the quality of the food the rump steak was simply superb and my wife had Goan tiger prawn which again loved it. We had cocktails on the roof terrace which on a sunny day is a must. The cell room we had very spacious and great decorative order and great coffee i must add . The mattress was hard but eventually we got off to sleep. We will be back without a doubt and taking friends with us. This hotel is a great place, brilliant location, fantastic staff. So glad i booked the Malmasion oxford. Once again i have to thank all staff for a brilliant time.

Room Tip: Book a cell room to get the full experience of being an old prison.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Nicholson_11,

Thanks for the review, I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us. As I have highlighted in many other comments and remarks, it is a pleasure to read the reviews based around the team and the service. We know we have a fantastic hotel however it is the team that gives it its heartbeat.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Warmest Regards

Paul

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Oxford Castle

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Pon:
-Classy but inclusive ambience
-Quality food
-Swank
-Waiter was one knowledgable don

Not pon:
-Sun (couldn't see face of yat)
-Too many waves pin cocktail

Overall pon good vibes

Storm of shadow

• Stayed: June 2014
20  Thank Shun H

Dear Shun H,

Thanks for the great review - I'm pretty sure I must be getting on a bit as I have absolutely no idea what 'pon swank' is but it looks super cool and many people find it helpful so maybe I'm alone in my lack of understanding!

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Paul

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel itself is a converted prison; complete with original prison doors. Don't let this put you off though as the facilities and rooms are not that of a prison.

The hotel is full of character and I found it to be very comfortable. I stayed here on a Friday night, the hotel does have a bar that is popular and this is where I spent my time drinking with friends.

the cocktails where a little pricey but its the sort of place where you would expect the drinks to be expensive so it doesn't come as a shock.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee G
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After a spontaneous trip to Oxford last minute, we booked the Malmaison into a "House of Correction" room. Price was on the higher side but when we arrived it was definitely worth it. Lovely room, original stone walls with a modern twist. The bed was very comfortable (and huge), with more than enough space in the room itself. Staff were very friendly the entire stay. We had breakfast in bed which was lovely, my only criticism - there was no coffee/tea option offered with breakfast. Location wise - very central oxford, easy to get to the universities and botanical gardens. Parking was quite expensive due to the central location. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy F
Reviewed June 5, 2014

There is a calm, balanced luxury over this incredibly well performed transformation of the old prison. It has it all, attractive rooms, with elegant quirky solutions, thought through anemities for your comfort, clean. The staff is attentive and friendly and the food recommendable. This is my second stay for work purposes, I will surely return and if possible also for a private stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Charlotte K
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed here last weekend and we opted for an upgraded room called Solomon Wisden. Whilst the room was a great size as was the bathroom it just seemed to lack a the wow factor I was expecting. The bed was a bit hard and the bathroom needed a few issues fixing like the shower handle falling off, the pressure being a bit low and the toilet seeming to block. We did mention this the following day and the staff said they would look into it. I also think the room needs a makeover to set the standard of being pitched as a boutique hotel. It felt like a typical 5 star hotel to me which lacked character.

The valet parking was great and the location is absolutely spot on, you literally couldn't get a better position in Oxford if you want to go out and explore, eat, drink and be merry.

The next day we had lunch in the garden but found the service to be very slow and staff were unsure of which menu to give us. It was a shame the service was not consistent and I think it is a nice place to stay, but if the service was a bit more slick then I wouldn't have felt it was overpriced.

I might stay again, but I would choose a cheaper room and then choose the upgrade option which was emailed to me a few days before my arrival as I think that may have been a better deal.

Oh and lastly they really need to offer a cooked breakfast as part of room service. All bran is a rubbish cereal, something upmarket would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spinnyminnie
Reviewed June 4, 2014

So I booked my reservation for a 2 night stay at Malmaison through Hotels.com. When I arrived, they only had me booked for only 1 night. There was availability for the second night, so they made the adjustment at check-in. The amount I was charged for the 2 night stay was GBP 355.00. I found my Hotels.com confirmation and thought I should forward to the hotel, to confirm that I had initially booked a 2 night stay. Unfortunately, the amount I was quoted through Hotels.com was GBP 480. After I arrived in my room, the front desk called me to say they would have to charge me more than they initially quoted when I arrived, as the Hotels.com reservation was a higher rate per night. I asked if it could be adjusted, as I now knew the second night could have been a lower rate. Reception told me they could not, but offered me free breakfast. I'm honestly not sure who's fault it is - Hotels.com or Malmaison. The bottom line, unfortunately, is that I'm extremely aggravated and am not sure I would risk coming here again. It's a lovely place, but I feel like someone has taken advantage of me.

Room Tip: If you book through a third party OTA (online travel agent), I would highly recommend contacting the...
Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business