Malmaison Oxford Castle
Agoda.com
$112
$101
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$102
$85
  • Pool
$166
$133
$127
3,219 results
All reviewsconverted prisoncell roomsroll top bathcell blockunique hotelexercise yardsuperior cellpizza expresssunday stopoveroriginal cellsmain prisonporridgespecial occasionbirthday treatcooked breakfastcar parkingcity centre
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Spent 3 nights on business in a Superior King room in late February. Property is located a 5-10 minute walk from the train station and was a former castle / prison. Bus stop located right out front. Rate included breakfast which was delicious with a choice of continental options and made to order hot options (waffles with bacon). Did not sample the restaurant or lounge at the property. Located within walking distance of many of the universities and main shopping and restaurants in Oxford.

Rooms were situated like a maze but plenty of signs to guide you. Room was large with an adequate kind bed. Bathroom included a separate shower and tub although the shower was extremely small and tight (and I am not a large person) so difficult to manage inside. Definitely not a shower for two! No issues with the wi-fi.

Would recommend to anyone staying in Oxford.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear michekara,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, We look forward to sseeing you again.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Have wanted to stay at this hotel for a long time and, let's face it, not everyone would want to admit to people that you've spent the night in prison but we are very glad we did!! The hotel was easy to get to using the park & ride system which was quick, friendly and efficient to use. The bus stop was right next to the hotel, which was an added bonus - not far to carry any luggage! The hotel certainly has the wow factor right from the moment you first see the building and the staff at check-in were friendly and helpful. Our cell room was even better than we had hoped for - the conversion to a hotel has been done really well and you get a real sense of the history of the building from the retained features. We loved it! Had a great meal in the brasserie with staff that could not have done more for us - food was fantastic. Worth mentioning the Visitors Room bar area which was very atmospheric and a relaxing place to spend time. We can't wait to visit this Malmaison again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayneHCalne

Dear JayneHCalne,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read your commetns and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The bed was like sleeping on the floor, After a night of very little sleep we checked out very early. The lady on reception said they have had lots of complaints and have mattress comforters... Wish they had told me that when I checked in. She also said they are in the process of changing all the beds, so if you are staying here I would recommend asking for a room with a new bed.
Apart from this hotel is in a great location, good bar and very quirky.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mackay-7

Dear mackay-7,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, i was pleased to read that with the exception of the bed everything else was good. It is a shame that your exerience with the bed resulted in your two star rating of the hotel since the impact of Tripadvisor is great on many hotels and it is the star rating that drives this.

With each bed in a home chosen out of a guests preference many people are used to a certain mattress. Within the hotel we must cater for everyones needs, as such it is felt that having a slightly harder bed is preferable for guests as a guest may request for additional padding on the bed to combat this. Most of our guests enjoy the bed and comment on it being a good quality mattress and product, and should we be made aware that a guests finds the bed hard we will do all that we can to soften it for them and that is the sentiment which the receptionist meant to explain with her comment.

We do hope that you choose to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Me and my husband really love this beautiful boutique hotel and have stayed here on a few occasions to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The place is wonderfully quirky and the rooms are spacious,clean and very comfortable. The food in the brasserie is really delicious too.
Unfortunately on our last visit my husband was taken ill but the manager and staff (also other guests) were extremely kind and helpful when this happened. Have always found the customer service to be absolutely top-notch here, and a lot of other places could learn a lot from them as they can never do enough for you. All in all it is a fantastic place to stay!

Room Tip: The cell rooms have the the most character!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear 293Lise,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time locked up with us. I was particularly pleased to read that the staff paid special attention to you during your husbands illness and that you felt this was handled well. I will ensure the rleevant member of staff receives recognition.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Warm Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here for one night. The hotel itself is fabulous it's very unique and great for a new experience absolutely loved the fact that oxford castle was right next door to the hotel and was brilliant to visit. The food was delicious and once your mange to place an order food the food came very quickly. Cocktails were also great and bar staff super friendly. However I felt that for the price we were paying we were not treated well at all. The staff all seem to have a terrible attitude problem and are rude. We waited 30 minutes for somebody to take our dinner order and again at breakfast I had to go up to a member of staff and ask them to serve us. Again after dinner we were left waiting another half an hour for plates to be cleared what made it more frustrating was numerous staff walked past but blanked us. At breakfast I had to again go on a search for staff as there were no glasses provided for drinks. Any time I asked the staff for anything I was made to feel I was pestering them. We asked reception if it was possible for coffee and milk to be delivered to our room when an hour later it turned up there was no milk when I asked for it the woman huffed asked me if I really needed it and stomped off down the corridor. Finally our room although lovely was next to the bins and recycling centre we could hear the bins being filled up and staff shouting to each other at 1am and were woken up at 7am by the bins being emptied. Considering we paid £250 for one night stay it wasn't exactly cheap we were not made to feel special the staff were rude we spent more time trying to get served for a hotel
Charging these prices I expected to be treated better. The hotel charges 5* prices yet offers nothing that makes you feel like your staying in a 5* It felt that unless your in a suite they don't care about your opinion or your stay. The whole experience does not justify the expensive prices they are charging a complete rip off

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Mim123456

Dear Mim123456,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your experience at the hotel. I am sorry that we failed to meet with your expectations on this occasion. As you may have read through other reviews, generally speaking we get the service right with many great comments about the attitude of the staff in particular. I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case, as you have rightly stated for £250 no one should be left to feel wanting.

I have passed your comments to the relevant Head of Departments and Managers and we will certainly ensure this is fedback to the teams also for immediate improvement.

We do hope to see you again.