“Very nice BUT....”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Just returned from a night at the Malmaison, Oxford Castle.

Good points: 1. The location (right in Oxford town centre) 2. Quirkiness (having been a prison) 3. Food (great quality, good range of choices, helpful staff) 4. Looks good (refurbished to a high standard)

Bad points: 1. Penny pinchers (you have to pay an extra £2 extra for a hot breakfast and whilst there is a bottle of water in the room it is NOT complimentary they charge you £1.65 for it!!) even Holiday Inn provides complimentary water! 2. Cleanliness (there were stains on the furniture and carpet in our room and the sink looked like it needed a clean) 3. Cold showers (I advised reception and they said the pipes are thin because it used to be a prison - apparently this was the cause, nevertheless part of an authentic experience..)

Overall we would go back because the hotel itself and the staff are great however I get the impression that the Malmaison chain just want to get every last penny out of their guests to the detriment of the experience. Less money spent on huge tubes of complimentary shampoo and more money spent on a simple bottle of water in each room would go a long way.

Advice: Don't upgrade your room if you want to stay in a cell, we upgraded and so were not in the cells, which would have been a great experience. Book car parking early - expect to pay approx £28 per 24 hours.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Charlotte W
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Charlotte W,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your experience at the hotel. I was delighted to read of the positive points you have made, particularly with regard to the service you received around the hotel.

I am sorry that you felt the additional charge for the hot food items at breakfast should not be required and that water should be offered complimentary. I will feed these comments back to the Brand team to use to shape our future decisions.

With regard to the room cleanliness and hot water, please accept my most sincere apologies. Cleanliness is of utmost importance to us and I will reiterate this with my Housekeeper. It is unusual for us to have issues with regard to obtaining hot water, yes the pipes are thin however this should not affect our guests getting hot water to the room.

I look forward to seeing you in the hotel again in the future, we will continue to work hard on delivering a great guest experience that offers the value for money you should rightly expect.

Paul Watson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,092)

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My wife booked an overnight stay to celebrate my 60th birthday last week, how surprised was I when she took me straight to jail! Put any thoughts of discomfort aside, the tasteful renovation of the prison is luxurious but they have maintained the character of the building as it once was. Our 'cell' was on A Wing and was in fact three cells knocked into one. Beautifully appointed bathroom and very comfortable bedroom. We dined in the restaurant and again found welcoming staff and excellent food. This is a real experience and something out of the ordinary. Thank you also for the FREE cocktails you gave us when you discovered it was my birthday!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear PotsandPieces,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. Happy birthday by the way! I was delighted that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and that you had a great experience.

We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very unique hotel that has taken a fabulous building and made it into an even nicer hotel. The location is great but in/out if Oxford is just never easy but that is not the fault of the hotel. Relaxing stylish chic hotel

Room Tip: Sorry mistyped pool entry, don't think they have one
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Attymassers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Such a lovely hotel - plush and comfortable and with the theme of the old gaol it really feels different and novel without being commercial. Close to the City Centre but a little apart which I really enjoy. Also has a great Brasserie and bar area for dinner or a nightcap. Staff always very pleasant and obliging. A lovely hotel in a great spot in Oxford. Fab development!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Karen B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel. I was particularly pleased that you enjoyed the Bar and Brasserie and that the staff were pleasant and obliging throughout.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our room was in the far corner of the old block and, whilst interestingly converted, was unfortunately very badly designed with a huge outside security light shining through a shower room which had frosted glass on the inside and outside resulting in a permanently floodlit bedroom, even after we had tried covering the glass with towels and bathmats. Our troubled sleep was then rudely interrupted at around 7.00 am by the cacophony of rubbish skip been shaken and emptied right outside our window. When reported to reception in reply to the perfunctory "how was your stay?" it was clear that little notice was taken of the comments so that future guests could be spared. We were shocked to discover that without consultation our car had been moved from the space outside the hotel to a subterranean car-park for which the hotel expected to charge over £20 for one night. When added to the £30 which was added to our bill for breakfast, despite having been shown to a table without any warning that the disappointing spread came at a premium. It is after all very unusual for the greeter not to mention that your breakfast is not included, and very rare for a restaurant with the aspirations of a Malmaison to offer such a limited buffet of croissants and cereal. Because we were so unhappy with our stay, the staff did remove the additional £50+ from our bill, but I doubt we will return t what is otherwise a fascinating hotel in a great location, as the experience left us with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, which was not wholly down to the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Avoid the old gaol house block
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Wentworth40,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not fully meet with your expectations. I would be most interested to know exactly which room you were staying in for a floodlight to be shining light in to your room. If you don't mind to do so, please email me on pwatson@malmaison.com so that I can investigate this further for our future guests.

Our car park is a porter service as we must transport cars to the underground car park as well as manage the parking at the front of the property. Clearly it should have been explained to you as you gave your keys to the porters and reception that this is so.

I am sorry that the breakfast team did not explain that you had booked a room only rate. We do have breakfast inclusive rates available on all available booking channels at the point of reservation as well as the opportunity to purchase breakfast on the day.

I do hope that we see you again at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I drove here with nervous thoughts about where I was staying . Let me tell you this hotel is amazing. The experience started at reception, to the valet parking and onwards to the bar staff. The room was amazing and despite the comments re lighting was fine to work from with good wifi. The conference room was good for our small meeting too. Remember when you book this is a boutique hotel experience. If you want a traditional style hotel this is not for you! Well done malmasion another bespoke hotel!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sjc997,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the moody feel the lighting creates.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel so much, we do hope that we get to see you again in the future, perhaps for a leisurely visit next time!

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 9, 2013

As somewhere to experience it is interesting, you don't get to spend the night in a posh prison generally, but that is where the pleasure stops. The service was lacking, doors creaked, information cards in the room were worn out, the room service information was on a torn off piece of A4 paper, lighting in the room was so dim that it was hard to read, the pile of cigarettes outside the door to the building we were in was disgusting and so on.

Considering the cost of the place they could do so much better. Yes it is generally clean, but places like around the corner of the glass shower door had caked on detritus. We also felt that, considering the price, we should not have to pay premium rate to phone the hotel, even after we had booked!

We completed the comments cards, both sides, and haven't heard anything. If a customer of mine had put a single comment about my business I would have been in touch to say that we would at least look into it.

I know a considerable number of basic B&Bs that can be more highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Mal Maison translates to ill house. How apt.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mike S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

We have been getting some great comments regarding our team recently, naturally I was most disappointed to read we let you down in this regard. We are awaiting new information cards and room service menus die in the New Year, generally on inspection these are still in good order in the rooms although it did become clear a number of rooms required our closer attention and replacement.

I will liaise with the Castle Management with regard to external cleanliness, particularly at this time of year with so many parties taking place for the festive season which always leads to an increase in discarded cigarettes.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are working tirelessly to improve our service and experience at the hotel to ensure a seamless and consistently great experience for all of our guests.