“Unique place to stay !”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Unique place to stay !”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel on a Sunday night and took advantage of the deal which included discounted accommodation if a minimum amount was spent on food and drink in the restaurant.

Having read reviews and feedback before booking (something we always do) we knew what to expect and here the rules of supply and demand very much exist. Having said this, we were able to upgrade to a room in "A Block" - which was wonderful and so well converted (considering originally it had been 3 cells - housing 9 men!)

Visit the cell on the same floor as the Restaurant - it has been left intact and gives you an idea of what the cells were like before being converted.

The Restaurant was very busy but the service excellent, good food and wine list. We found the tables just a little too close for our liking (as we prefer to talk to each other and not have to listen to other peoples conversations)

I cannot recommend other websites here but we were able to park our car on a private house's driveway- about a 10 min. walk, for one third of the parking charges found centrally.

All in all would definitely recommend a stay at this Hotel - there are very few places in the world like it !

Room Tip: If you want a real experience stay in an "A Block" room (upper floor) - other rooms are ex...
4 Thank Scene-set
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Scene-set,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, i was so pleased to read how you enjoyed the restaurant making particular mention to the service and the food. We have been working very hard in this area of the business and the team will be pleased to receive the recognition.

The A-Wing rooms really are unique and something you will only find at this hotel. I was pleased you were able to enjoy this.

We hope to see you again soon.

Paul Watson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night, it is a lovely hotel very unique, clean and comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We just felt that it is very overpriced, and quite a shock at having to pay £28 to park the car there. The food was ok but nothing special, I enjoyed the breakfast more than dinner. I would say if you don't worry about money then go for it but we have stayed in just as nice hotels at a much cheaper realistic price.

Dear 277Claire1,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations for the price you paid. Our rates are in line with the market for which we sit yet we are able to offer a truly unique experience with this.

The rates themselves do change depending on the season and the day of the week and i hope that you will be able to take advantage of this for a future stay with us.

As with the rooms, our parking is in line with the market in which we sit and i am sorry you were surprised at this cost.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

An interesting one; good location and interesting hotel (used to be a jail) but very poor value for money when you consider what else is around (I am also comparing to a recent stay in Bath for less than a third of the price).

Nothing really wrong with it; just overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sim0nandMichelle,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback following your stay. I am sorry that you felt we were overpriced, we charge in line with the market in which we sit yet are able to offer a truly unique product for our guests to enjoy.

Clearly, given how much we charge we need to be adding more value to the guest experience and this will be something we are working on over the coming months. Hopefully, if you choose to return you will see the benefit of this.

dublin,ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Just back from 2 nights in this renovated old prison which is unique. The hotel is fabulously restored into a hotel. Rooms are nice and cosy with all mod cons. Its centrally located and convenient to the wonderful city of oxford. Breakfast was fantastic.free wifi a great bonus!
Highly recommend this hotel for a city break...

1 Thank jk3278
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear jk3278,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed being #lockedupforMalLife and we hope you choose to do so again soon!

Kind Regards

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I feel compelled to post a review after a lovely stay in Malmaison Oxford. Its true to say that after reading a few negative reviews on Trip Advisor I was having second thoughts about my stay given that is a 300 mile round trip and was booked as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. I have to say that my fears were totally unfounded - from initial greeting at reception by Tom, and being looked after extremely well in the brassiere by a young Scottish lady (whose name escapes me sorry!).
Our stay in the standard room was fantastic – this hotel is truly unique and well worth a visit and serves food to die for ( especially the black forest gateaux martini!)

Dear R A,

Thank you for taking the time to sign up and log your first review! I was so pleased you have chosen to do so, as are Tom, Anna (the Scottish lady) and the rest of the team. I was so pleased we were able to contribute to making this a special occasion and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at Malmaison because of a recommendation from a book. However, giving its hefty price, all I have to say is that this hotel was terribly overrated and overpriced! £180 for one regular double room a day not including breakfast speaks so much for itself. The hotel's structure was also weird as we need to walk to our room through some set of stairs and doors. I even felt bad to one of the staff that was exhausted for carrying our bags to our room. The interior wasn't that impressive. No free parking, in fact, what kind of luxury hotel charges £28 for a parking space a night?! I opted for a breakfast in the cafe but again the dining room had so little space to move around. I sensed, like all British shops, that this hotel was understaffed, even one of the receptionist was the one to pick my car from I don't know where. I also waited about 20 mins for my car to arrive in the lobby. Not a thing I would expect after paying £28 for an overnight parking. To top it all, dental kits were not provided readily (you have to ask them). With all those complicated design, I never thought that I will have to ask dental kits as it were in my opinion one of the most critical items in a hotel. Having all of those said, I think the location was very good (in oxford castle). The bathing lotions and soaps were also very nice. Staff was also very friendly. But again, don't stay here unless you have some money to burn. Except because of emergency reasons, I might not return here for another night.

• Stayed September 2013
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Becarefuloneating,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I was most disappointed to read that we were unable to meet your expectations during your visit. I was however very pleased to read that you found the location very good, the staff friendly and you enjoyed the toiletries provided. I am sorry you felt that dental kits should be present in the bedroom, as you have stated, we do provide these on request.

The price paid is a standard rate for the hotel, as it is for Oxford. This is also true for the parking, where even the local NCP car parks are comparable in price. The parking at this city centre hotel is valet parking with luggage porter service as highlighted by yourself, and the cars are stored on site either at the front of the hotel or in our secure underground parking. It certainly shouldn't have taken so long for the car to be returned, for that I apologise. Whilst the staff have job roles, the majority of the team are multi-skilled so it does not surprise me that a member of the team was performing multi functions.

Finally, I am sorry that you found the structure weird and the inside of the hotel not that impressive. We are a converted castle/prison that dates back for centuries. We wanted to keep as many of the original features that we could for which the hotel has won numerous national and international awards in design.

Once again, I am truly sorry we failed to meet with your expectations. I do hope that you will choose to visit us once again.

Whitchurch, Hampshire
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Perfect - pull up outside the front door and your met by a man who offers to carry your bags. Your car is driven away and parked in their secure car garage (£28 extra). We stayed the night to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary and we really enjoyed it. The staff are extremely friendly and polite, the room was great (superior double) in the main block. Great cocktails in their bar and the food was great too. Only marked value down slightly as it is quite expensive and you don't get a great deal for your money, however it was a fantastic experience and in a great location walking to bars/restaurants.

1 Thank Tom W
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Tom W,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review. It was a pleasure to read that you had a good time with us and most importantly that you found the team to be friendly throughout. Whilst we know that we have a wonderful hotel, it is the staff that truly make the difference to a guests experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.