“Great hotel but not great service”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The location for the hotel is fantastic and well worth a visit if a little expensive, but the service does not match the hotel. Whilst the staff try hard some do not speak great English which sometimes leads to problems, which is a real shame as I would love to stay more often.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Oxford Castle

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked a surprise for my partner, i had booked a table for dinner as well as a night in the hotel, the restaurant food was good, service however was bad, waited 45 minutes from my starter to my main course, the starter plates weren't cleared until the mains were brought out, the dessert that i ordered came out wrong and my partner ate hers as i was waiting.HOWEVER The Reception staff were amazing and the hotel room was lovely, i had asked for flowers in the room and i couldn't have asked for anything else there were a few marks in the bath which the general manager was very responsive over and paid our tab for dinner, i would recommend the hotel and food but service in the restaurant could be a lot better for the caliber of hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked the malmaison to celebrate my birthday with my boyfriend - we stayed on the Sunday brassiere deal. When we arrived we had a great welcome, check in was easy and we were even an hour early for check in! We had room 508 in the house of correction- I chose the house of correction as I had read reviews about dark rooms in man building. Beautiful room huge window, small room but this is expected and part of the character. At about 4pm we had a knock at the door even though we had a 'do not disturb' sign up (we were both a bit worse for wear from our travelling!) it was a cleaner who wanted to check our mini bar- instead of asking if she could she simply walked in past my other half without asking. We found this very rude and although we did check in early- we would have been happy to have waited if the room was not ready. We were very impressed with the bathroom- spacious and bright. On closer inspection there was three long dark hairs by the tap in the bath. Another dark hair was also on a hand towel. After removing the hairs (eurgh) I enjoyed a bath using the fantastic thermometer gauge! We went down for dinner at 8.15, we were greeted by the lady who had checked us in, very polite! When ordering our food I went to order a potato side for the 'half chicken' dish, the waiter instructed me this dish came with mash so therefore I did not need the side which I thought was great he had told me. However- when my dish arrived no mash was present? And I simply had a plate of chicken I caught the waiters attention and he went to ask the chef- the waiter then came back to tell me it did not come with mash and the chef was very busy so unable to provide alternative. He was very apologetic- and offered a free dessert wine with the pudding (but I don't drink wine!). However I was still left with a plate of just chicken!!! Thankfully my boyfriend Lent me some potatoes!! Finished up the meal with creme brûlée- which was nice but I felt a strawberry or some raspberries would not have gone a miss with it. I really did enjoy my stay at the hotel but I felt the hotel was being let down by some parts especially the restaurant. It's in a beautiful location and it is very interesting inside.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sbharrison93
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The old jail in Oxford has been turned in to an excellent hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and the en-suite bathroom is very well equipped. The soft duvet and pillows contributed to a sound night's sleep. The breakfast was plentyful and should really be included in the room price. Three cells are joined to make a really comfortable hotel room. The only snag is the authentic room entrance that is too low for most people.

Room Tip: Room number has no correlation with floor number. Even the reception sent me to the wrong floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful place. It's an old prison converted into a chic hotel by the Malmaison team. We were staying in the 'A Wing' where the rooms, from what I could tell are made up from 3 cells joined together (one cells for the well-equipped bathroom and two for the bedroom).

Bed perhaps a little on the firm side but others may like.

Good breakfast, good service (apart from slightly slow check-out), great architecture (and really interesting to see inside a former clink), and thoroughly recommended. Try it!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Initially there was an error with our booking and the hotel was fully booked so they put us in the fantastic macdonald randalf hotel!!

We were also offered an upgraded complimentary stay!

Could not fault the service!
Apologetic from start to finish and we were given a complimentary breakfast and a suite room (which we turned down In favour of a cell room)

Such an unusual hotel and right in the heart of Oxford. Breakfast had quirky options such as breakfast muffins rather than sandwiches which were all lovely touches.

The cell room had a heated bathroom floor and large double bed. The room is quite dark so if you read in bed bring a book light- not a problem for us and we couldn't fault a thing.

Nice bar on the 3rd floor for late night drinks and the living room restaurant next door is a great alternative for those looking for dancing / live music.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Ignore the reviews from people moaning about the booking criteria and therefore didn't even stay...! I took advangage of one of the many offers the MalMaison was offering on its website which meant you could book a room at a very big discount as long as you spent £75 in the restaurant and bar, which really wasn't going to be an issue! We opted for the two tier room, with the lounge upstairs and the bathroom and bedroom downstairs. The room was immaculate, although the massively large shower (I do not have the dimensions to hand but it easily went back 10 feet) with only one shower head at one end seemed a bit of a waste of space. The food was lovely as well, and the cocktail lounge had an amazing atmosphere with a good variety of drinks. For a quick stop over in Oxford the hotel is a bit expensive, however if you are making romantic trip I would highly recommend it. The location is also very good, although parking is restricted so make sure you reserve a space early.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple