“Good hotel, central location and good attentive staff”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband for one night recently on the cocktails and dreams package. The hotel was very impressive on our approach and check in was smooth and we managed to get our room earlier as we had arrived at midday. There was a problem with the heater thermostat which meant our room was extremely hot but maintenance was eventually able to sort this.
Our room was a superior double in A-wing it really is strange to think these 'cells' would have held 9 prisoners.....
Dinner and service in the brassiere was excellent would highly recommend the mal burger.
Advisable to book car parking. We did and found this easier than trying to park in central Oxford.

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,095)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is my first Malmaison experience and I loved it!

I was a bit dubious about the converted prison theme before I got there but as you drove up you get blown away by the setting. Limited parking is available, but we pre-booked and were parked LITERALLY by the front door by a valet, brilliant.

Next came probably the only thing that lost my 5th star, the check in. VERY disorganised and freezing cold because the huge doors wouldnt shut. I kept getting up to close them.

When we got inside though we were thrilled. The prison theme is just amazing and a perfect venue for some amazing photos. The room was huge, tastefully decorated with plenty of functional items, beautiful crisps and nuts, water and wine and a stocked mini bar. Not one of those useless usual hotel things, a proper one.

The bathroom was superb with a ceiling shower head and possibly the best toiletries I've ever had, complete with cosmetic pads, cotton buds and flannels and sumptious towels.

We also used the cocktail bar which, although pricey, is fantastic and I presume used to be the old visitors lounge. Highly recommended is the Mojito Royale!

Its location is perfect for the centre of Oxford, it being only a 3 minute walk away.

I did have a minor gripe with their being no heavier blankets available in the room, but that's my own fault for not pre-booking. I have to sleep with heavy weight on my legs on the duvet was standard hotel style. Im sure they would have sorted this out if I'd asked.

Breakfast was the best run in any hotel I've been to in the past few years. Delicious food, lovely setting and wonderfully efficient and friendly staff. It seemed a totally different, fresher and livelier venue than the cosy romantic restaurant that it was the night before. Incidentally, the evening meal was fabulous, again - not the cheapest, but you don't come here to watch the pennies.

All in all a wonderful trip I didnt want to leave.

Room Tip: We were in the hospital wing, but make sure you ask for a room on the prison wing if you want the tr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We wouldn't normally price the prices charged by Malmaison but as our usual place was fully booked we decided that for the novelty factor of staying in a prison we would, but never again. I wasn't made aware that parking needed to be booked in advance which was annoying to say the least at that price. Reception was dark and I actually had to ask the girl sitting at a table if she was the receptionist! I was impressd with what they had done with the prison but the rest of the decor was just too black and purple and felt unwelcoming. We certainly didn't feel welcome in the over trendy bar. The room was nice and a good size but we have stayed in equally nice rooms for much less. Breakfast was good and the breakfast staff much more welcoming than anyone else we met. Overall expensive and disappointing.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

What makes Malmaison stand out is the staff who put each foot right on every interaction. Very well done! I loved it here and will stay again the next time I am in Oxford. A unique environment, it was a novelty as well as a luxury

Slight criticism – although the rooms are luxurious, I couldn’t work out how to get a breeze through and didn’t want to leave the balcony doors open overnight. What I thought was the air con actually turned out to be the bathroom fan! Although there is an air con blower in the room, I can only think that it is controlled by reception for both heat and cool. It would be helpful if there were information on this. In addition, the light around the bed made reading hard going for moley old eyes like mine – a spotlight would be a great addition

The food was very acceptable and the overall experience was fab with otherwise comfortable rooms, a fresh but luxurious décor, plenty of towels etc. I loved it!

And however much you are paying the staff – give them a pay rise!

Room Tip: I liked the new rooms - and not so many ghosts.....
1  Thank no1kat
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Check in and out very slow. The rooms are not ideally designed in terms of lighting and where electrical sockets are. No socket near the bed to plug your mobile in so you have a choice of not charging your phone and having the alarm next to your bed or charging your phone and having to get out of bed to turn it off. Lighting in the room was too dark to see in the mirror to dry your hair. Socket outside the bathroom meant you were a long way from the mirror in the bathroom to dry your hair. I recognise lighting creates mood, but please think of practicalities and provide appropriate task lighting.

We were having a business meeting - service in the restaurant was very slow for lunch. The food however was excellent. The following day we opted for a buffet. Generally ok but sandwiches had been too early and the bread was very dry.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank suepat1
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Loved the concept of the hotel in the prison. The design was trendy/modern which we liked, and the lounge on the 3rd floor has a good vibe.

We only stayed one night, but the service seemed good. The first room we were given was on the ground floor and right on the carpark, so we asked for a new room. They were able to give us one on a higher floor and in the prison wing, which was apparently an upgrade, for no charge - so that was nice of them.

That said, I agree with earlier comments about the temperature in the room (warm!) and lighting, though we had the different issue of NO overhead lighting. Also, the bed was really uncomfortable - like a board on springs.

Breakfast included, good location very close to one end of High Street.

1  Thank Raj R
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We arrived here for 2 days, landed up extending our stay to a third night, the food was good, shame the car park wasnt working due to a fault on the lift, the cocktail bar was a bit pricey. Good location with a wetherspoons out the back of the hotel. Prison enviroment was awesome

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple