“Average”

Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything just very average really - from the food to the decor nothing really inspired or stood out but nothing to overly complain about either

1  Thank Gavin S

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Looking at some of the earlier reviews, I get the impression someone has been trying to organise a systematic smear campaign! Let me emphasize that I am not connected to the restaurant in any way, and I do not know any of the people who work there. I just visited Bamboo earlier this week, with a group of 12 teenagers, virtually all of whom ordered different dishes. The ingredients were fresh, the grilled meat was piping hot, the cooking was excellent, the staff was quick, friendly and helpful, the menus were crystal-clear, the décor was pleasant, the toilets were clean, and the prices were surprisingly reasonable. We all had a really good time, and I'd recommend the place to anyone who want to try Korean cuisine.

1  Thank Jos V
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Hi! We tried BamBoo for the first time last night - for a takeaway.

They were immensely helpful and in perfect English explaining what every dish is where the menu might fall short. I'm not that familiar with the cuisine but like the occasional bit of kimchi...
we left about 10-15mins later with nicely packed bags of takeaway which visually looked amazing; packed into sturdy paper recyclable/ re-usable bags and good pots/boxes! (some Styrofoam though!)

The food did the job; I had a cabbage-y fried pork and tofu type of stew; there was too much (very generous for a rugby player sized guy like myself!) but it was so tasty I finished it all like a typical greedy piggy... The kimchi was up to spec - not too sour and not just the correct spice!

My friend had a pork, rice and fried egg affair which had the pork done in a kind of bacon-ey style without being too salty; very delicious! he got a complimentary miso soup too...

The restaurant seemed fine to me - obvs we didn't stay long! Despite the lack of music but it was full and serving mostly Korean/ Asian clientele chattering away which is always a good sign. Some of the décor I found a bit tacky but completely appropriate for what the place is (eg the dark wooden chairs with the white oval insert discs in their backs and all the lanterns.) Also: not fair of me to comment re this; to each their own tbh. and what's cool in terms of Asian interiors are vastly different from what is considered on trend here.

This is generally a MASSIVE improvement to Café Coco's and their pretentiousness that was here before! I will deffo go again and support them.

Few comments:
- please replace the smaller Styrofoam takeaway pots with recyclable ones, please. -
- and think about starting to deliver takeaways too... I'll can easily work myself through the menu over a couple of years... ;-)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food is great, lots of korean people eating there i guess is a good endorsement...Atmosphere nothing special, bit kitsch furniture and a lots of big mirrors (?) I had a dinner with my partner: kimchi pancake, fried vegetables, chicken katsu, and a big hot pot with noodles, tofu, beef and assorted vegetables. Price 57 pound including two soft drinks and the service (10% of the total). Friendly staff, even if I've never been served by four different waiters during the same dinner as it happend at Bamboo...At the end we were totally full and satisfied. I did not appreciate the bill in korean, looking at the prices you can detect possible mistakes, but i'd prefer a more understandable language...Anyway recommended!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited Bamboo with my partner in August 2013 and it far exceeded my expectations; I don’t think it deserves the poor reviews it has had on Trip Advisor. Firstly, the service was excellent. There were many Korean waiters and waitresses (who did speak English, in contrast to previous reviews), but there were English waiters too, so I think the previous problems people mentioned below with service have been improved upon. The prices and selection were good, and the menu was in English as well as Korean (also in contrast to some reviews below). The vegetarian options weren’t always immediately obvious but the waitress was happy to suggest these – so if you’re vegetarian, do ask whoever is serving you. The food was quite quick to arrive and was pretty good; many Korean people were eating there so that’s a good endorsement… All in all, a good experience and I would eat there again.