“Excellent Pub - in the Centre of Oxford”
Review of Wig & Pen

Wig & Pen
Ranked #104 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pub - in the Centre of Oxford”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I would just like to say, I am Oxford born and bred and I have seen the name changes of this pub over years and it has had its ups and downs, but I have never had a bad meal or snack at this pub - The new refurb is lovely (it was well overdue) don't know why the name change but hey ho, Went for a pre-theatre meal and one tinsy critism - there was only one person behind the bar for a while whilst others were chatting or stocking glasses. This was at about 6pm (and it was quite busy) ~Anyway, ordered drinks and our meals and they were out and served in about 10 minutes which was lovely, the food was hot and very tasty. The waitress was very pleasant and chatty. I will be returning - Its not a la carte but great value food. !

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank debscoops

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Valentines weekend trip leaves bad taste in the mouth !”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I ordered steaks medium rare, what came was 2 overcooked dry steaks they had to go back the staff were only too pleased to replace.(They didn't seem at all surprised). round 2 my steak was medium rare however my wifes was just the same overcooked and dry, she didn't want to make a fuss, but enough was enough I wasn't going without saying something, the staff were helpfull offered us free desserts but as there was a delay already we had to run and get our train back to London...so we left with a complimentary slip as we were unable to get some money back as I had already paid by card ?? I don't think I will be back somehow, If you like cheap okayish food and are used to chains like W***spoons with a 50/50 chance of it being a good day for the kitchen staff,then this place is for you. If not then walk on by... MUST DO BETTER...

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Just74
gesouth, Owner at Wig & Pen, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am afraid that this review may be a case of mistaken identity. We had no such incident of steaks being sent back this past Valentines weekend or indeed for as long as I can remember. We do not give out complimentary slips and in any case any guest we serve does not pay for their food before having it as we run a full restaurant style table service in the bar so credit card payment would not have already been taken. I can assure you that had something like this happened on the weekend our staff would have been horrified rather then resigned to the fact this was common which here it certainly isn't. I have contacted the writer of this review personally to ask them to double check it was our particluar Wig & Pen in Truro, Cornwall that they visited or whether it as another pub in Truro and the names have been mixed up. I have also contacted Tripadvisor to let them know that this particular review does not pertain to us as nothing of this nature has happened here in the last few months or indeed ever as I recall. I assume this review is simply an innocent case of mistaken identity. We had a very busy and positive Valentines week last week so it is a shame factually incorrect information has been posted about us, I hope Tripadvisor will remove this soon.