“Nice cafe, nothing special!”
Review of News Cafe

News Cafe
Ranked #312 of 673 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Not bad value for money but a little cramped. They were busy when we went and they missed a few things, such as tap water, but the food was OK

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My Lovely Companion spotted the sign for this place from the main street - it is easily missed its really very good. The prices are essentially average greasy spoon range (I'm not quite sure what the earlier reviewer complaining re cost means...although I was only here for breakfast?) yet the decor and the service are considerably above. I imagine it's catering for the student populace as the place was full of them when I was here at 11 on a Sunday - it may also explain the contemporary music choices and Sky News. All wood floors and civilised lighting. Tables are small and well laid out. MLC had the salmon and cream cheese bagel under duress, because she actually wanted what I had - the builders breakfast. It was superb, actually. Really good. Hers was "all right, but not what I wanted" she grumbles - though that's probably my fault for inveighing her into having a more passably heathy option, rather than the food itself. There are numerous papers around, and the black and white photos on the wall - a nice touch - are all newspaper/press themed as well. This is a five start place really, save for a couple of little touches. The first was the tea, which is expensive, especialley considering that it arrives in a microscopic teapot accomoanied by a rather delicate glass cup with cutsie wire handle. Cme on people - Builders Breakfasts are not known for their delicacy. Go nuts with huge mugs. You're not actually a bistro even though your styling looks a little like one. And the other point was that the place gives a fairly wholesome vibe...a sort of highbrow Oxonian atmosphere that I sort of associate with social consciences and ethical concerns. So I rather expected the meat to come from happy pigs from down the road, whereas in fact it comes from 'some place in Newcastle' according to the rather perplexed waitress I asked this question to. A minor point. A really good place for breakfast. Just sort the tea out!

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Pre Christmas shopping breakfast .
Builders breakfast is a must . Proper tea as well . Good honest food .
We will return :)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

we discovered this café by accident but we were very glad we did. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the décor of the place. The food was very tasty and I would definitely recommend this café to any visitor of Oxford.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great find down a side street, the café had a fresh menu and food, good value and efficient service without being pushy. There was a freely available wifi service, without having to ask for the password and no pressure to vacate your table.
Returned the following day and enjoyed different dishes, with the same excellent produce.
Would recommend the café to anyone who wants good honest cooking and service.