“Best bagels”

Ranked #10 of 18 Dessert in Oxford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great choice of ice creams, food and deserts. The bagels are amazing. And if you go past 9pm on a Monday, there's half price sundaes!

The only bad thing is that it's ALWAYS full. There is never anywhere to sit, which is not good at all.

1  Thank sickkgirl

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Went out of my way to visit GandDs when I was in Oxford for a few days as I had heard lots of good things about it and I wanted to go for a chat with my mum. I paid nearly £5 and only after we were served did they tell us they were closing in 5 minutes for their Christmas party (about 6, when I thought they'd be open until midnight). They did have a sign on the door to be fair but it was obvious we wanted to sit down (my mum did sit down) and I think they should've said before we spent the money that we would have to take it out. Who wants to take ice cream outside in the middle of December? Also the music was so loud I immediately regretted my decision to take my mum there as I wanted to actually talk to her and I wished we'd gone to a Costa or something instead. In the end though the music was no issue as we had to leave!

Anyway they were trivial issues, the main problem was that the ice cream was horrible! I love ice cream and I have never been known to throw food away before but both my mum and I threw our ice creams in the first bin we came across. Between us we had 3 different flavours as well so not just one bad batch or anything.

Hate being so horrible and I don't want it to seem like we were just cross because we didn't read the sign but I have literally never thrown away food that I've paid for, even if it's not as nice as it looks or I thought it would be I can usually power through!

Sorry guys :( Staff seemed nice!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've been to this place a few times over the years. It's not bad per se, but the service generally leaves something to be desired. The quality of the ice cream does NOT match the (increasing) prices. The sundaes used to be good, but I'm guessing that increased competition has caused them to cut costs somewhere, and I've recently had a few pretty terrible sundaes, paying over £5 for a banana served with a homeopathic amount of ice cream. The quality of both service and product at G&Ds has greatly decreased over the years, which is sad.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Every now and then I think, maybe this place has got better, and give it another go. I've not been right yet. Service is slow and unfriendly irrespective of how busy it it, I've been with and without a baby so its not an anti-mum thing.
The ice-cream always seems fairly bland the bagels are stale and toppings again, bland. It seems like a good idea to go here for ice-cream on a hot day but it disappoints. Maybe now there are a few more dessert parlours close by they'll up their game. Its not a good place for little ones, most is hard to access with a buggy, Its a place to take a laptop.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Not quite as nice as Ice cream in Italy but G&D's is probably the closest in Oxford :) Very cosy inside.