“Top notch food & drink with a superb atmosphere”
Review of St Aldates Tavern

St Aldates Tavern
Ranked #185 of 635 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: St Aldates Tavern is an independent freehouse pub in oxford city centre. We pride ourselves on freshly made food from ingredients sourced from the local area, a quality real ale selection and relaxing atmosphere. We also have The Tank Room - A cracking place to catch all the big games on are giant screen!
Oxford
“Top notch food & drink with a superb atmosphere”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Having eaten here twice, once for lunch and once for dinner - I thought I'd slot it in to my Easter Sunday plans with my family visiting Oxford. We were welcomed in from the cold with smiles from all staff and guided to our table upstairs in the Blue Room where we were met by a very attentive bar man/waiter. We took our time convincing members of the group to try various ciders and wines then, again deliberated on the menu - everything sounded so tasty! We went for some unconventional choices, mixing starters, sides and mains to fill our table with things to try. The food was excellent, we all tried each dish and left with a big smile on our faces, feeling extremely satisfied and ready to brace the cold once more. Prices are extremely reasonable with great portion-sizing too, I would definitely recommend to visitors for it's great central location.

1 Thank Olivia O

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top class Ale 5 and star food!!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Visiting Oxford for my second time I was recommended St Aldates by a friend. I have to say I was not let down! With a huge variety of ales, great food and atmosphere.

The extremely helpful barman (Spanish I think) had great knowledge on all the ales. He let me try a few out, all of which were in quality condition. I decided on the local ale Pride of Oxford.

Now onto the food, having only seen and tried one mea. It's hard to say that the whole menu is as good as the Pulled Pork. One of the best dishes I've had in a while.

If you're ever in Oxford I couldn't recommend st aldates enough!!

1 Thank Jk9jk9
Aylesbury
“Superb”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Quite simply, St Aldates Tavern serves up some of the tastiest food I have every eaten, at prices that should make many restaurants/bars in Oxford ashamed. We had ham hock with sauerkraut, roasted cod with ratatouille, roast chicken and roast pork (this was a Sunday lunch). The quality of the ingredients is immediately obvious; good fresh thick cod (rather than codling), one of the most flavoursome free-range chickens I have experienced, and beautiful fresh vegetables. At £15 pounds for two courses, St Aldates represents serious value. This isn't fine dining al la Masterchef, but honest hearty seasonal British fare cooked to perfection. The staff are friendly and attentive (but not overly intrusive). What more could one ask?

However, St Aldates is still very much a pub with a good selection of ales and bottled lagers (not the usual Green King IPA, London Pride and Becks) and a pub atmosphere. We'll back next weekend to watch the boat race in the function room!

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Slowly becoming a gourmet favourite on the Oxford scene”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The refurbished St Aldate's Tavern is fast becoming my favourite lunch and after-work dinner spot. With an ever changing menu of inventive and creative choices served and presented to perfection, the chef's dedication and attention to detail is superb. From a delicious butternut squash and rosemary soup served with the homeliest of fresh baked breads, to a whole baked sea bream served with harissa paste on a bed of roasted vegetables, to the most beautifully presented fish and chips, this is a place that keeps me coming back for more. The setting and service is also beautiful,I can't recommend this place highly enough. The St Aldate's Tavern has taken the crown from the Turl Street Kitchen in terms of gourmet dining in the centre of Oxford.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“the pull of the pulled pork”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our first visit to Oxford We happened upon the St Aldates Tavern we called in for a quick beer,and ended up staying to eat.Great friendly service and a welcoming atmosphere.
We decided to try the pulled pork sandwich, after enquiring what sort of bread it was served on we were informed it was a lovely home made bun,not easily identified on the menu.When it arrived it looked and tasted fantastic served with a gorgeous homemade coleslaw,just the thing on a freezing cold evening. this was one of the best pub meals we have had in a long time. If you are visiting Oxford this bar is a must. great value, great grub and great service.