“Good Food, annoying service”
Review of Arzoo - CLOSED

Arzoo
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Headington, United Kingdom
“Good Food, annoying service”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have mixed views about the only meal I've ever had at Arzoo. I went before Christmas with my brother. It was very quiet. The restaurant looked very smart as it's recently had a makeover. All the tables had Christmas crackers on them but when we were shown our table the waiter removed the crackers! The food we had was pretty good and the prawns I had were just about the largest I've ever seen. My gripe with the place was all down to service. There were too many waiters on duty all hanging around looking bored. The trouble was our waiter forgot one drinks order and the guy we placed our food order with was very unhelpful as to which dish he would recommend.
So although the place looks smart and the food is fairly good it has an awkward and unfriendly atmosphere.

• Visited December 2012

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“An excellent restaurant.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was most impressed with the excellent food provided at this restaurant. Though busy when I visited the service was prompt and courteous. I shall cetainly visit on my next trip to Oxford.

• Visited December 2012
“Full of loud, drunk, boring students”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The food is ok but the main point of this restaurant seems to be large groups of drunken students, standing up to boast about their sex lives, down pints of lager, shout rugby songs, and even throw food at each other. One particular boy stripped to the waist and was trying to down a pint of curry whilst his fellow rowers shouted at him. Do go if you would like to hear students shouting about vomit and masturbation. Stear clear otherwise.

6 Thank Oxsums
Oxford
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have lived in Oxford for many years and were big fans of this restaurant's predecessor, Jamals. OK, it may have had some hygiene issues from time to time, but the food and service were always good.

We had a couple of take-away meals from Arzoo which weren't great, but thought that to give it a fair assessment we should visit properly, which we did early on a weekeday evening with three generations of our family participating.

It really wasn't good. The service was frankly terrible, with long delays even though they weren't busy, and to make matters worse there were a large number of uniformed waiters in attendance, but seemingly doing very little of use. Selected lowlights of the evening were:

(1) The waiter who cleared our starters dumping the dirty cutlery back on the tablecloth while repeating "leave this, leave this" to our party.

(2) One waiter dropping a tomato off a plate near our table, only for the following waiter to kick it into a corner rather than pick it up.

(3) Being asked by three successive waiters, within minutes of each other, whether we wanted more drinks. No, we wanted our food.

As for the food, it just wasn't nice. An impressive looking menu with many unusual offerings, but when the dishes came they all looked pretty similar and many of them were presented in the same sweet, thick, red sauce which was very far from delicate.

I hate to give a bad review, but there are much better options in Oxford and it's a shame to see what has become of this once great institution. I sincerely hope they will up their game.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Elmo223
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Ghastly experience!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked for a friend and me to dine there on its opening night, a Thursday. Arzoo had won awards while he was chef at a nearby restaurant, producing wonderful and inventive dishes, before leaving to start his own establishment elsewhere in the county. We hoped for great things on his return to Oxford. What we got was interminable wait, staff who hovered over us and glared, trying to sell drink to us whilst we waited, indifferent quality food, when it eventually came, on ridiculously large, cold, and odd-shaped plates with no food-warmers to stop it from going even colder; then a similarly long wait before we could get our bill, pestered by the staff meanwhile, who kept trying to sell us coffee we didn't want. The whole process took over two hours of discomfort and frustration. The food was over-priced and the atmosphere embarrassing. We couldn't wait to escape. What a disappointment!

• Visited October 2012