“Excellent choice”

Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Shanghai
“Excellent choice”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I chose this hotel after reading the various reviews so I felt I should also post one after my stay. All in all it was an excellent choice, with newly decorated rooms, superb central location, wonderful concierge and a lovely breakfast. The only slight negatives were that it was a little difficult to find at first (eventually we called concierge and they guided us perfectly), that there was no lift (we had a lot of luggage and had to bring them up to our room via the stairs) and that there is no air con, meaning that if it had been summer I'm sure it would have been too hot. Even for late Sept we had to open the window as otherwise it would be too warm. But don't get me wrong, these are mere minor inconvenience and, summer aside, I would most definitely come back again. It was an excellent choice overall and I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear ShanghauGuru,

Thank you for taking the time to review Vanbrugh House Hotel. I am so pleased that the hotel and its staff were to your liking, and that you will definitely return and recommend to others.
The hotels central location can require navigation on occasion and it pleases me that reception guided you in as intended.
I do take on board your comments of the minor inconveniences, but being an historic grade 2 listed building, lifts and air conditioning are not permitted by the planning authorities.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Oxford.

David Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
UK
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our room was gorgeous (the Lewis Carroll room) - very calming colours and beautiful luxurious fabrics. We went for a little midweek escape to celebrate our first anniversary - sipping prosecco recliing on the chaise longue in our room was delightful! The food in the restaurant is excellent and the wine list very approachable in terms of choice and price. Would definitely recommend eating at the hotel - we were the only people dining which was a shame - but it meant we had complete choice of table and opted for a very cosy table set back in an alcove. Very friendly service from everyone there. A stone's throw from all the colleges and beautiful Oxford architecture. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: Room 12 the Lewis Carroll room is a superior double - fabulous room - street view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear loulouandgeorge,

Firstly may I wish you both a happy 1st anniversary from myself and the team and I am glad you chose Vanbrugh House for your mid-week escape! I must admit the Lewis Carroll room ( room 12) is one of my personal favourites.
Thank you for your comments on the restaurant. Our menu is intended to offer quality and choice, whether you are wanting 'Tapas' style sharing items, dishes from the a la carte or our very popular afternoon tea.. I have passed your kind words on to the head chef and the front of house team.
Thank you for taking the time to write your 5 star review and we hope to see you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

A lovely setting near a church, up a quiet street in the heart of Oxford. Well-appointed rooms & suites, sensitively decorated in keeping with the historic building.

What stood out for my wife & I was the genuine passion for warm, courteous, first rate customer service displayed by every member of staff we encountered, both front of house & housekeeping.

The full English breakfasts really set us up for a day's sightseeing - delicious & plentiful, the local sausages worthy of particular note. The basement dining room works better in appearance as a breakfast room than an evening dining room, though having said that, the evening menu is good value & we thoroughly enjoyed our delicious evening meal there.

We would highly recommend Vanbrugh House for a romantic Oxford break & hope to return for our anniversary.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs Glover,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review on trip advisor and also your personal feedback with myself. Your comments really are appreciated and I will be bringing your points to this weeks management meeting. What really makes it all worth while is the customer service recognition. All the team are really passionate about the hotel and our guests, and I am glad this shows.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night. It is situated in a quiet backstreet with access to shopping areas at both ends. There are a couple of pubs in the street but these aren't loud in the evenings. It has a small intimate basement restaurant if you fancy a quiet meal. The only thing I would say is beware that out of 22 rooms only 2 of these have baths! The are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is tastefully decorated. If you're driving to Oxford, the hotel has no parking so the best park and ride to use is Seabrook to the west, you can leave your car overnight at just over £2 per day. The nearest bus stop is only a block away. All in all, great location and great hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a bath make sure you specify in the booking!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Adam P,

Thank you for your 5 star review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your time spent at Vanbrugh House and its central location was really appreciated.
With such a great location, Oxford has a lot to choose from when it comes to dining. So our intimate restaurant is popular with residents and non residents alike, whether for a meal or a relaxed drink with friends.
The park and ride suggestion is a very valid point and one we recommend highly to our guests.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise trip for my husband's 50th birthday celebrations. What struck us both, the moment we arrived was the wonderful welcome we received. The very lovely Natasha on Reception gave us the best welcome we have received in any joitel we have stayed in - she struck absolutely the right balance between being personal without being obtrusive. Indeed all of the staff we met over our two night stay were quite exceptional - friendly, professional and helpful.
The hotel is in central Oxford, easy to find, convenient, immaculately clean and very comfortable. Using Oxford's "Park and Ride" is straightforward and excellent value compared to city parking.
The rooms are stylish, extremely comfortable and full of character. Our room was at the back of the building and was very quiet. We had two great nights' sleep.
Would we go back? Most definitely!
Thank you all for a wonderful visit!

1 Thank Margot1967
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Sarah,

What a fantastic review ! I am so pleased that yourself and your husband enjoyed the time spent at Vanbrugh House Hotel. It is most certainly comments such as these that makes it all worth while!
I am glad the staff enhanced the quality of your stay and I will pass on your kind words to Natasha and the team immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Vanbrugh House Hotel, and found it's location, ambience, and hospitality to be excellent! Everyone on the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, especially Mikaela Alexandru. We'd highly recommend it to any visitors planning a trip to Oxford.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street, as they can be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear 50coveview,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to Mihaela immediately. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Oxford!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last night. We booked quite late in the day and so the only room left (in Oxford city centre!) that night was a deluxe double on the top floor, facing the street for £250 per night.

Plus points:
- location (also a negative - see below)
- comfortable and plush room
- very clean
- friendly and helpful staff
- the Wifi actually worked (unlike at the Macdonald Randolph!!!)

Now for the negatives:
- location - no parking (to be fair, don't book any hotel in central Oxford and expect to get cheap and freely available parking) and extremely noisy. As other reviewers have said the rooms get very stuffy so we had to leave both windows open. This resulted in a terrible night's sleep as we were constantly kept awake by drunken idiots, night clubs taking out waste and (so we were told when we checked out) a couple of miscreants trying to steel bikes (badly as it turned out - they woke the entire street and the police promptly arrived to cart them away).
- breakfast was poor considering the price charged (continental breakfast consisted of a small selection of pastries, three packet cereals and a dusty bowl of muesli - we asked for yoghurt which they went and found in the kitchen)
- there is nowhere to sit down and relax outside of your room
- the bathroom, whilst clean and finished to a good standard, was far too small.

If we weren't paying so much for the room some of these issues could be forgiven or overlooked. As it is I would struggle to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a rear facing room away from Oxford Students Union
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Teamlines
Dear Teamlines,

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. I am pleased that the rooms were to your liking and the staff made your stay more enjoyable.
However, what does concern me is your comments on the quality of the breakfast. Our continental breakfast which includes cold meats, cheeses, fruits, cereals, pastries and juices is, I would hope, offering quality and choice. This is most definitely our intention.
In regards to the rate paid for your visit we aim to provide the guest with affordable luxury. Our prices are by no means as expensive as other hotels in Oxford at this time of year.

Thank you for your comments.