“Impressive, nice atmosphere”

The White Rabbit
Ranked #7 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a lovely, indipendent pub managed by an enthusiastic group of friends!!
Poole, United Kingdom
“Impressive, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I tried The White Rabbit not knowing much about the pub beforehand. From the moment I walked in I was impressed. The layout was decent, the music was great, and the general atmosphere of the place was calm and welcoming, making for an all round relaxing and pleasant visit. Will definitely come again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Josh S

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best in Oxford yet!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've been a drinker in Oxford for quite some time, and so I was very keen to see the newly refurbished White Rabbit. Having now been there I am highly impressed, enough to inspire me to give feedback!

I met a few friends there on very busy Friday night - a standard affair for a weekend in the city centre. Despite the slight trouble at finding a table, once we had I immediately felt comfortable in the groovy atmosphere. I was pleasantly surprised by the music playing, which was scores above anywhere else I'd been to. We'd actually initially planned to go to a few more places after, but we decided to stay on (until closing!). A very enjoyable night.

Although it was busy, the service was good, and it seemed people around us who had ordered food didn't have to wait for long. I am definitely planning on going in at a quieter time to try the menu as I've heard lots of good things about it!

• Visited May 2013
Reading
“A mixed experience”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Second time we popped into this great little pub with a refreshing atmosphere and a great sense of character. A real breath of fresh air as opposed to all the miserable big chain pubs of the city centre. Well worth a pop in. Drinks wise, apart from the poor lager on draught selection (morreti was good), the selection was great, quality spirits!! and a very well balanced wine list a vast improvement from the last visit hats off to the staff for those changes!

However, I put my hat right back on unfortunately, because I have rarely seen such an apathetic, disinterested and poor quality display of service. The staff slumped on a stool behind the bar, more interested by the mac (on the bar???) than by his customers, as glasses weren't collected, the bar looked messy and plates were left in front of customers who'd finished, this all on a quiet sunday afternoon.

A real shame, disinterested uncaring staff is something I have grown to be accustomed to in the chain owned pubs that sadly are everywhere, but to find it in "family" run pubs makes my argument that quality of service, general motivation and staff happiness is much better in real local pubs fallible.

In my opinion still worth a visit to this lovely pub, and maybe (hopefully!!) my experience was a one off!

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Ben H
“Just a Good Place to be”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

One Day Trip To Oxford and just happy about the atmosphere. Good local Beer and yummy doughballs with garlic butter.

• Visited May 2013
Swindon
“A great pub”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Visited early evening for a bite to eat and was very impressed. It is a small place but characterful and nicely done out. The beers were interesting - from a local independant brewery - and in excellent condition. The food menu was limited. It was basically just pizzas but they were good, freshly made and good value for money.
Thoroughly recommended.