“a truly third wave coffee shop!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Quarter Horse Coffee
Ranked #8 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Oxford
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We serve speciality coffee and loose leaf teas. We offer baked goods, sandwiches and soup. Come in for our handcrafted drinks, retail coffee and tea items, and free WiFi. We look forward to seeing you.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“a truly third wave coffee shop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I didn't taste cakes and pastries but they looked pure and tempting. Their espresso was great ( a blend from Square Mile coffee roasters in London). Not bitter at all, full bodied with a lasting and satisfying finish. I had a flat white as well the next day and it was at the right size with the right quantity of milk :). By far the best coffee house in Oxford, a town with a long history in coffee. They have a Synesso Hydra (I had never seen before in England) and they know how to use it. The interior is quite simple and cosy but without sofas with wooden tables and the music is independent too! It surely worths a visit (per day).

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank MKLad

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best coffee in Oxford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Forget all about Costa and Starbucks. This place is in another league. Best coffee around, great atmosphere.

“Good coffee, nice atmosphere and staff who know their stuff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Quite unassuming from the outside, this is a gem of a coffee shop. The staff are very friendly and knowledgable and clearly know how to make a decent cup of coffee! Haven't tried any of the food yet but will come back to try some as it looked good on my first visit.

Would have given 5 stars but the decor isn't rally my thing and is a bit austere for me... I know some people like that but not quite to my taste.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, England
“Relaxed and friendly environment, quirky.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

The only mark-down I give for this place is the lack of a toilet being made available to customers and the advice being to go to the nearby Nando's and use their facilities... which didn't quite work out as Nando's was very quiet and I didn't think I'd get away with it. So, instead, I chose more busy establishment further down the road - and used their facilities. Far worse acts of exploitation are carried out within a close vicinity of where I relieved my bladder - but even so, I don't think it is really "fair" in the grande scheme of things to exploit other's facilities in lieu (no phonetic pun intended) of providing your own.

After this initial adventure, I returned. I ordered the winter root vegetable soup with barley, which came with great bread. My girlfriend ordered the salami and cheese sandwich - also made using great bread. Both snacks were good and the value was ok.

The place is lifted to my taste (so far, this - my second visit), by the ambiance, simple decor, friendly atmosphere and so on. If you are irritated by students and open laptops at tables - or about sharing a table, then you might struggle here from time-to-time. Coffee beans can be bought, cake-type things, and there is some art on the walls.

If you were having a bad day and feeling cynical about life, you might interpret the cosiness amongst patrons and staff as smugness - rather than snugness... but hey - you'd have to be having a really stinky, life un-affirming day (but just watch yourself there, Quarter Horse Coffee!).

Try it - you might like it!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pedrov_dog
Nathan R, Manager at Quarter Horse Coffee, responded to this review, February 8, 2015
Thanks for your review. Sorry for our lack of bathroom. I am glad that your enjoyed our space and our coffee. I hope our closeness to our customers is always positive and not neglecting others. Thanks again for writing the review and hopefully we will see you soon.

Nathan.
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The best tea and coffee in Oxford. The only place I know that really care about the coffee they serve. Great place to relax.

Thanks for the review. We do care that you get the type of coffee you want.