“Great coffee.”

Quarter Horse Coffee
Ranked #7 of 28 Coffee & Tea in Oxford
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We serve speciality coffee and loose leaf teas. We offer baked goods, sandwiches and soup. Come in for our handcrafted drinks, retail coffee and tea items, and free WiFi. We look forward to seeing you.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great coffee.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've been here several times and their coffee is always fantastic. I mostly order latte and I love its smooth taste. I'm not a specialist of coffee but I can tell I just love it!
I like its small, independent atmosphere too. Feels like (and I believe it is really) they are serving honestly good stuff.
It's often busy when I have the time to go in, but once one of the staff took his time and helped me choosing coffee beans to bring home (I was a little overwhelmed with the detailed description of tastes of different coffee beans, but that was very helpful!).
I don't know what it is, and it doesn't bother me much, but I always smell this slightly strange subtle smell when I enter the café. At first, soon after they opened the café, I thought it's because the café was so new (new building materials sometimes smell) but now I guess it's something to do with the quality coffee. Anyway, that's a minor point. I hope they'll stay serving on Cowley Road for long.

• Visited June 2013
Nathan R, General Manager at Quarter Horse Coffee, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoy our coffee and make the effort to come in even when it is a bit busy and the space is full. We do offer a lot of coffee beans to take home, and it can be a bit confusing. I am glad we could help you out and I hope we see you soon and can help recommend more great coffees for you. Thanks again.

Nathan.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Why is this so highly rated??”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The good: The service is very good and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.

The bad: The wi-fi is poor, but, above all, I honestly thought my coffee was very bad. As a coffee connoisseur - I have a Lavazza, cafetiere and Nespresso machine in my house - I expected great things judging by the reviews. To be honest, I thought my coffee was a touch burnt and didn't taste particularly fresh. For a place that calls itself a coffee shop, there isn't much of a selection either.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank richardsimonson
Nathan R, General Manager at Quarter Horse Coffee, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Richard,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that your found us nice and knowledgeable. We try very hard to make every one of our customers feel comfortable in our shop.

Let me address some of your concerns. Firstly, I agree that we have had some problems with our WiFi. This should be fixed as of yesterday. This has been a problem with our provider but I recognise that is not really of great help to someone coming to our shop intending to get some work done. Thanks for pointing this out, and it gave me more incentive to sort it out with our provider.

Secondly, I want to apologise for your coffee. I am sorry that you did not enjoy it and I hope it was just a one off bad extraction. Our coffee is hand crafted with every order and I hate to say that sometimes mistakes happen. I can assure you that our coffee is very fresh and is brewed within 2 weeks from roast, as well as ground to order.

Thirdly, I am not sure how to address your critique of selection. Do you mean the beans that we carry or the drinks that we offer? I think this is a good place to point out that Tripadvisor may not be the best place to carry on this dialogue.

I would like to invite you to come back in if you have time. Share a coffee with us and have a bit of a chat. Midday during the weekdays and any weekend is the best time to catch me. Let me know who you are and the coffee is on me. I would love to get your feedback on another cup.

I hope to see you soon. Thanks again for the review.

Nathan.
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Lovely coffee, brilliant service. Always recommended. Chai lattes are delicious. Top tip: Try the polenta cake, gorgeous!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TempleStDental
Thanks for your review. We hope to see you soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best Coffee in Oxford”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great little spot on the Cowley Rd. This place serves awesome coffee - very strong and smooth - and the staff seem to know most people that come in. Seems like once you find this place you keep coming back.

There are a limited number of sandwiches available, but they are all very fresh and handmade in-store, so I count it as a good thing!

• Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked our little shop and we will be changing our sandwiches in the future so please come back and check out what we create. We hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Proper coffee in Oxford”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I used to work in London at Barts hospital and had the pleasure of a really good coffee shop (Dose) on my way to work. It helped spur my interest in coffee and pretty soon I was trying to be a home barista.
It's really not that easy to do! I really came to appreciate how these guys need to take a lot of factors into account when making your coffee. You really do need someone who knows what they're doing.

I moved to oxford for work having been a student here and on walking down the Cowley road I saw this shop. Like one of the other reviewers I had to look in and I soon saw that they were using Square Mile coffee - arguably the best coffee roaster and blender in the UK. The espresso I had was delicious (the barista knows what he's doing) and I bought some beans too so that I could once again try and improve my skills at home.

I've now been back several times to buy beans and have an espresso and the staff are really really friendly. They're clearly trying to set up a local favourite here and I think they've already done it. Its definitely the sort of place to come and have a few coffee over a book or with friends.
It's places like this that are making Cowley road somewhere to visit if you're coming to Oxford.

Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Radders12345
Nathan R, General Manager at Quarter Horse Coffee, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. The first coffee shop I worked at in London was Dose. It helped me become a better barista and I am glad that we share this great coffee shop of our past. Now we can look towards the great coffee of the future, here in Oxford. I look forward to seeing you again and discussing the struggles and joys of home barista-dom.

Nathan