“Great atmosphere, ok food”
Review of White Horse

White Horse
Ranked #504 of 671 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Description: Hello and welcome to the white horse pub's trip adviser page... We are a local pub that serves food all through out the day from 11 AM till 10 PM, 7 days a week, ranging from sandwiches to pub classics. We offer a variety of deals on meals, such as curry and a pint Wednesdays and we are famous for our big plate specials... So come on down for a drink and some food, meet our friendly staff and let us know how we can help you today.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you are into Inspector Morse, you just have to go raise a glass at this interesting little pub, run by very friendly young people and seemingly packed at all hours. I had a pint of Oxford Gold and sausage and mash for dinner, and enjoyed the atmosphere and the beer. The food was ok, I've had better.

1  Thank KMFinRome

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am new to Oxford as postgraduate hospitality student from oversea. I was so positive and looked forward to study in England mainly because of its reputation in education. Today...I ate at the White Horse restaurant and bar, the staff especially restaurant manager set the PERFECT example of what NOT to do in the hospitality world. The 9 postgraduate students will never go back to White Horse ever again.

Why?
The waitress was so rude when I asked for take away bag; she looked at me and basically shouts “NO” with bad attitude.
The restaurant manager came to me said I was so rude to his staff and did not said “please” when asked for service. The manager did not ask in regard of what had happened. He came to my table and took my place with food away and said will pack it with extremely tone of voice and certainly not present attitude. After 2 minutes later, he came to me at the table said he wants me to leave the restaurant NOW!!! (he shouted). I was so shocked because I did nothing wrong. I was not even drinking any alcohol. I was simply… just wanted to eat my food and then an early night. The manager asked me to leave the restaurant 4 times within 5 minutes (every customer starred at me). I was not sure what was going on and so I talked to my friends and they confirmed that it was 100% NOT my fault but rather the manager. The manager of the white Horse restaurant and bar behavior was inappropriate to all aspect. I am in Oxford, the city of educated people and I know that not all English is bad and discriminated on the nationalities. I am here to learn good side of it and not to let the minority destroy the positive image. The food is an average range and nothing special about it. The true is.... even if this incident never happened i will not go back as well.

1  Thank Kun_Ying_2012
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I've used this pub for years, I must admit I've seen a decline. The food is what you'd expect from a hungry horse the staff & service is above average & the beer is cheap. Nice atmosphere when the football is on. My one and only
gripe is they have no control over their car park it is full on contractors vans students cars and cars left whilst their owners travel to London. So when you fancy a quick bite there's nowhere to park. It's has been raised with the manager however all he says it's down to head office if your on foot give it a try.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We ate here twice during our week stay in Oxford, largely because it was close to our B@B.
The food was good if unexceptional.
The atmosphere is mass market pub.
The service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I spent many an hour here years ago and it used to be a great place, as soon as we sat down and I saw that it was a Hungry Horse my heart sank.

No garden anymore, just a few tables out front, very dark inside and it would have been a lovely day to sit outside, had the only tables not been next to a busy road.

Ordered food and it came quickly (too quickly to have been freshly cooked in my opinion!) my meal was wrong and I informed the waitress, who asked me if I wanted to 'keep my chips' I explained that I wanted them with my meal, my friends meal was also left and we both had to eat alone, my meal then came back and I'm pretty sure the chips were the same as had come out previously.

Food was edible but really no more than that, my friend said her chicken was very dry and the bacon was full of fat.

Won't be heading back here, which is a shame as it used to be nice.