“Absolutely fabulous Sunday roast....”
Review of Port Mahon

Port Mahon
Ranked #225 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Pub
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fabulous Sunday roast....”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I went here by chance, as wanted a Sunday roast & happened to be in St Clements...... Was totally surprised by the quality of the roast..... The pub was busy with a mix of customers, (including a dog, so also dog friendly) nicely decorated with a roaring open fire... I ordered the roast lamb my friend the 12 hour roasted pork belly...... Both were fantastic, lovely fresh vegetables including home made Yorkshire pudding. The price was £9.99 and worth every penny. I will absolutely be going during the week to try out their other menus. (Sunday only seems to have roasts and puddings) there is a nut roast option though. I think this is possibly the best Sunday roast I've had in a pub.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank LolaOxford

• Polish first
“Excellent Sunday roast”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Tantalized by the excellent reviews TPM had been getting for their Sunday lunches, I decided to have faith, and put it to the test by taking my parents a couple of weeks ago. We were not disappointed! The menu is limited (not sure if this is the case all week or just on a Sunday) but this didn’t matter as we were only there for the Sunday roast. All three of us went for the beef which was very good, if a little more on the cooked side than I’d prefer. A small gripe though! The vegetables are plentiful and perfectly cooked, the roast potatoes crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside and there is (joy, oh joy!) absolutely lashings of homemade gravy.

They get extra points from me for the cauliflower cheese (the only other person I knew who did that was my grandmother!) but unfortunately lose one for having a penchant for overcooking (in my opinion) the Yorkshire puds. I know this as I took friends for lunch yesterday and had the same issue. That said, the fact that I’ve been back twice in two weeks goes to show that it’s not that much of an issue for me!

Final points: yes, the food takes a long time to arrive. The first time I went we were forewarned of this by the very nice, professional woman behind the bar. She said it’s because the chef cooks each order individually as they come in, which is probably why everything is cooked so well. Half of our group yesterday had been on long cycle rides and we were all pretty hungry, so the wait this time was borderline torturous (expect about an hour), but when the mounds of food eventually did arrive there wasn’t a single complaint! And I don’t think anyone could quite finish it all, so it’s probably best to go when you’re very hungry!

All in all, a very good place for Sunday lunch. But just be prepared for it to be one of those long, leisurely lunches. Isn’t that what Sunday’s are for?

• Visited August 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food at lovely city pub”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had the roast beef last Sunday. Came served with perfectly cooked roast potatoes, veg, delicious cauliflower cheese and a giant Yorkshire pudding. Followed by creme brûlée with homemade ginger biscuit - both fantastic. Great value.