“Yuck yuck yuck”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Perth, Australia
“Yuck yuck yuck”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel in December 2010 - mistaaaaake! There was mould in the room kettles and in the bathrooms. Also, an elderly lady who worked at the counter was consistently rude to both of us - she accused my sister of attempting to 'make a sauna' in the bathroom when the fact was that the bathroom fan didn't work and the entire room steamed up from a short shower. She also failed to recognise us as guests multiple times, saying ' why are you in here?' and rang my sister at 11 pm because she 'hadn't seen her come in on the camera'. First of all, ringing a guest at that hour is inappropriate. And secondly, why were staff keeping tabs on us via camera? All in all, a very negative experience. Don't. Go. There.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jess C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Victoria is a Bed & Breakfast and not a hotel. Think of it like that and I feel it is acceptable. It is in need of refurbishment -and there is a notice apologising that it has started - and it is fairly dark. Our room was comfortable but had no shower, only a bath which was just about adequate for my size. On the plus side the staff we met were very friendly and helpful - particularly the receptionist who gave very detailed information on what Oxford had to offer.Breakfast was fine. I suppose the great advantage of the Victoria is its location and free car parking.. It is certainly within walking distance of the Town centre.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a shower ?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last night and it will certainly be the last time I ever stay here!!!

The decor is such a mess than you leave reception with a blinding headache! I counted 9 different, gloomy, horrible patterns all over the reception area, so I knew it didn't bode well for my room....

When I got into my room, I was pleasantly surprised, that whilst it was still an assault of all the different patterns, the room was light and bright and recently decorated.

However.... The tea tray that had cups, kettle, tea n coffee etc, was sticky and dirty, so the rim of the cups were stuck to the tray. When I lifted them off, I found that they were dirty all inside the cup too!!

The glass shelf in the bathroom above the sink needs a good scrubbing.... As the dirt has built up in the corners....

To add insult to injury, I went out side for a cig at midnight, when I tried to get back in the latch had been put down on the other side of the door, making it impossible to get in... I called reception 3 times before constantly ringing the front door bell, to get someone's attention. When I finally did get someone to help me (the owner I presume) he was the most rude arrogant, hotelier I've ever met!!

When I finally got to bed, it was lumpy, I could feel the springs digging into me throughout the night.....

Honestly, if I were you and this was your only choice of hotel, then I would sleep in the car and set fire to the £93 it cost to stay here for some extra warmth!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Mattchew26

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I read the reviews before going to this hotel. Reputation is not good. But I Think if it's a normal b and b, I can still accept. But the situation is really worse. I think no traveller want to leave bad comments except it's really terrible
Location: you can walk to downtown on sunny day. On rainy day, sorry
Price: you can find a better b and b in downtown. I regret after I walk around Oxford
Room: quite cold there carpet is dirty and shower room is a small square of 4 sq feet. Wait for long time for hot water
Service: the owner doesn't allow any person to eat wash on the room. The owner is impolite and rude, like others say.
The check out time is 10:30. All rules are Not reasonable
I feel uncomfortable and dangerous to stay there and leave early

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Loretta1990
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our stay here was problem-free and the staff who dealt with us with friendly, helpful and pleasant. The room we stayed in could do with a re-fresh, in fact the entire hotel interior could but it's not bad at all and it did the job perfectly well for us. The hotel is walking distance from the city centre (if the weather's ok) and is on a good bus route or a very short taxi ride (£6) if it's raining. Breakfast was decent quality and there was plenty available. Overall we were perfectly satisfied with our stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2012

For a very reasonably priced hotel in Oxford it's perfect.

The beds are a smidge on the hard side, but not unbearable, the linen is clean and good quality. The bathrooms could do with a wee bit of a wipe, but there was nothing manky hiding in the shower, which was adequate and warm.

The breakfast was good, with plenty of choice and appeared to be freshly cooked.

The staff are friendly and helpful and there is free wifi.

We have stayed twice and had two different rooms which were equally satisfactory.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mspolly
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed for a week here while visiting the Literary Festival just a river walk away at Christchurch. The staff were helpful and friendly especially the gentleman presiding over an appetising breakfast - fresh fruit salad second to none. Our twin room was situated at the back of the semi-detached house across from the hotel entrance. It had been recently redecorated and was warm, clean and bright. It was quiet and felt private. We particularly appreciated the lighting level both being keen readers. The room was cleaned daily and towels and bedding changed frequently.
The car park was organised and well marked out for ease of use. Much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends