“Too many stars in Oxford”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
yorkshire
“Too many stars in Oxford”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel styles itself as 4 star. It is not but it is a perfectly adequate 3 star hotel, well situated for visiting Oxford so why do the owners feel the need to over-state their status? Unfortunately, with the demise of independent and anonymous inspectors, hotels can award themselves whatever star rating they fancy!
We stayed three nights and found its location, about 1 mile from the centre, to be ideal. It also has its own parking which is always at a premium in Oxford and it is on a bus route as well. Cotswold Lodge is a Victorian house with most of the rooms in a 30 plus year old (my estimate) extension.
Rooms small and in need of a revamp and redecoration. Worse for some people is the absence of any lifts for accessing 1st and 2nd floors. No one offered to carry up my cases.
Like much of this winter, February was cold and snowy in Oxford but the heating was pre-set for the whole hotel, taking no account of room variations. We were cold even wtih the stat at maximum. Duvet old and very thin.
The bathroom was colder than the bedroom and was oddly lit with very old LED lamps that took up to 5 minutes to reach full power as did all first generation LEDs. Initially, on entering the bathroom we were gropping around in the gloom! The hot water took for ever to work its way through the antigue heating system, so long in fact that I thought the supply had run out!
Breakfast. In this department he hotel redeemed itself. Excellent buffet style meal with a freshly cooked, hot choice. No stale egg and bacon left on warming plates here. The choice of cereals, breads and fruit were all excellent and the dining room staff were friendly and even remembered us unlike the rest of the hotel staff who were not very knowledgeable and did not bother to learn our name or personalise our welcome.
We did not dine here but I found the bar to be overpriced.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Victorian House are large and better appointed but suffer from road noise. The ext...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotelchris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Slovak first
Dubai
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Having stayed in a few other hotels in Oxford I was very happy to return to the Cotswold Lodge as it offers a better standard and location than other hotels of a similar price in Oxford. The hotel is well located in easy reach of the town centre and has ample parking if you are arriving by car. The rooms are adequately equipped, but as I find with many UK hotels there was no Iron and Ironing board in the room. When I did request these they arrived promptly. The hotel bar is very comfortable and the bar food ordered was of a good standard. Breakfast was varied and included a choice of a cooked breakfsat or standard continental. Overall this hotel offers good accomodation and service and is a favourable choice for business or leisure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Eddubai
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the night and was ideally located for walking in to Oxford, also good as has packing, found the hotel bar &breakfast to but very expensive, areas of the hotel seemed dated and could do with a lick on paint to Freshen it up, staff friendly and remember who we were during our stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My mother and I stayed for 3 nights and were treated very well indeed. Everybody smiled and went the extra mile for us. The rooms were clean, warm and comfortable and the food delicious.

The only quibble was that the beds didn't have feather duvets and pillows. It would have been good to have been given the choice. We would recommend this hotel to friends!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Negatives
-Room size and style, tired decor Cheap + tacky furnishings.
Painfully slow wifi
No heating/aircon
Walls/ceiling paper thin
Carpet was so old worn and paper thin.

Positives
Location + easy parking
Front and rear entrance
Free wifi
Complimentary Shower cap + really nice bar of soap!
Comfy bed

Was really pleased I was granted early check-in. Room was tiny, could just about fit round the bed. Not ideal for 2 people! Decor was dated, bathroom was dated even the vile wall pictures weren't put up straight.

I'm a deep sleeper but even I got woken by the stampeeds of people coming back from breakfast! Then I had a cupboard outside my room where I think the bar store their stock, all I could hear was banging. I could heard the guest aboves every toilet movement.

The wifi although free was painfully slow.

I paid around #120 for my room without breakfast. RIP OFF

• Stayed March 2013
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Once again, we found our overnight stay an excellent experience. The staff were particularly helpful on this occasion - reception allowed an early check in and, when a summoned taxi failed to appear, the manager actually got out his car and drove us in the rain to a college reception. Room as usual was clean and warm and the food good. Will continue to recommend this hotel for its excellent value and exceptional staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is not cheap, not for a stop-over, but it is comfortable, charming, and traditional. I was visiting for the weekend and stayed two nights satisfied because I wanted to splurge a bit. Had a negative first impression when told at 12:30 that I could wait in the bar for 30 minutes while room is prepared, then I had to check back with reception twice and was finally given access to the room at 3:15! Thereafter, however, no problems and service at desk, luggage, bar and restaurant were well above expectation with staff addressing me respectfully by name. Doting attendance at breakfast, friendly and fast in relaxing bar-lounge, luggage delivered to room without asking. Beware: if you are upstairs above another guest room. You can hear other guest's loud conversations and televisions...clearly! Nevertheless, when I am looking for a quality experience in Oxford again, I will consider returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo