“Great staff awful facilities”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great staff awful facilities”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The staff were warm friendly and helpful, however I was in a room were things were just not right;
The toilet seat was broken, the heating system was very noisy waking me up every time it did anything. The soap dispenser in the shower wasn't working, I had to mend it myself while showering.
They only gave us one towel dispite booking the room for two. Add to the misery, every move the folk in the room above made carried right through.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Slovak first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've stayed at the Cotswold Lodge a number of times, usually in preference to other Oxford hotels. It is one of the best. It's close to the city and to the shops of Summertown and North Parade. It's got parking for free and (slowish, but functional) internet access for free. It has a full bar and excellent restaurant. Many hotels have some of these amenities. None I've come across, though, has the first-rate care and attention of the Cotswold Lodge staff. All of the staff are wonderful. I stayed in one of the college-themed rooms this trip (Lincoln). It was gorgeous: huge curtained bed, armchairs, luxury bathroom. I didn't even need earplugs to sleep, the room was so quiet. During my stair, I had room service, which was prompt, serving very high quality food for reasonable prices. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Oxford.

Room Tip: All rooms are very good and the location is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was within walking distance of Oxford town centre, had good reviews and was in our price range.
It lived up to expectations with very friendly staff who were happy to help and an excellent breakfast. The only negative as far as we were concerned was our terrible mattress on the first night (it was changed for our second night). Even though this caused discomfort and a poor night's sleep the staff were very helpful and tried their best to help with extra duvet's to make the bed more comfortable. They also gave us a discount for the first night.
I would however recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Oxford and would definitely return there myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the 3rd time we have had our reunion at this hotel and never been disappointed. The hotel is very flexible and catered very well for our requirements and combinations of meals. It is also extremely convenient - a 15 minute walk into the centre of Oxford. Will definitely be ack.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My biggest complaint about this hotel was the heating. On arrival in the hotel I had to sit in my room with my coat on as it was so cold! The heating, we were told, was on a timer & would come on late afternoon, but if we needed it there was an electric heater in the wardrobe! When we returned from a late dinner it was cold again as the heating has switched off! There is something wrong with a hotel that does not put it's guests comfort first. You can be economical with heating without requiring them to wear a coat inside! This was such a shame as the room was pleasant, the location good & the staff helpful. Breakfasts were very good & made to order for a change. I would not stay here in winter again.

Room Tip: Don't go in winter or pack your thermals!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here while visiting my son, and was very happy. I got a deal on "laterooms" booked via tripadvisor, so the double was 115 - not cheap, but this is the middle of Oxford. We had a superior double, which was spacious, nicely decorated, and very comfortable. It is true the bathroom lights are very dull, but you just have to leave them on all evening, and they are then fine. The only slight wrinkle was a drumbeat from music from the next house where students live. Next time I'd complain to the reception so they could do something. Otherwise, comfy, with a homely feel. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Opt for superior
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ruthie81
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Friday night reunion in Oxford for my husband with some ex-colleagues and stayed at the Cotswold Lodge a 15 min walk
from city centre. Our room the Keble room, very spacious. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was spacious with a great shower and plenty of hot water. I liked the smaller sitting were we met for drinks, it had lovely comfy sofas and an open fire. Staff are great and nothing is too much trouble. We skipped cooked breakfast as we are trying to be healthy! The breakfast buffet has a good selection of cereal yoghurt fresh fruit etc and the cooked breakfast looked very nice. The hotel is situated on the Banbury Road which is a leafy suburb of the city the further out you get. There was a monthly
farmers Market in a side street opposite the hotel. Lovely hotel to stay at for a weekend break. Why not treat yourself.

• Stayed October 2012