“Graded on a good value deal but............”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Graded on a good value deal but............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked a two night 'deal' including breakfast and evening meal, which overall was good value for money. Our greeting at reception was warm and helpful, the included meals were delicious and very well presented, the staff helpful and efficient. We like 'old fashioned' so the very traditional style of this hotel suited. The 'but' was about the room, labelled Pembroke (not the same as the 'Pembroke' image on the hotel's gallery though which is odd), it was a good size, had excellent storage and a very comfortable bed, very traditional in style which suits us but it was a little shabby and came with a substantial cobweb. The lighting was very poor, nice for relaxing in but not to see anything clearly, the bathroom lighting little better sadly. There was intrusive noise from the plumbing which seemed to be from the power shower system. The major drawback for me was that this room is on the second floor in a part of the building that does not have lift access. This wasn't made clear on booking and doesn't seem to be on the web site, help was offered with the luggage but that didn't detract from my struggle with the stairs. A major plus point is the location, it is a 10-15 minute walk into Oxford, on good bus routes with ample parking, so overall the location worked very well for us. Would we stay there again? Possibly for the location and the food if we could get a good price and be sure we had lift access to the room.

Room Tip: Check on the availability of a lift
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Slovak first
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We paid £150 for room only and a further £17 for breakfast. The room was small and unexceptional, there were no touches of luxury that you might expect. The breakfast was well cooked but with a half slice of black pudding and half a mushroom I would not describe it as plentiful. The hotel is well placed for central Oxford and most of the staff were pleasant.
I would not stay there again simply because it is poor value for money in my view

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philip R
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our trip throughout the UK. We were fortunate enough to get a room without a reservation.
Upon entering the building we were greeted by a warm and friendly reception. We found our room, which was on the front side of the hotel overlooking the parking lot. The room itself was bright, clean and inviting until I walked into the bathroom. The bathroom was a little on the dark side, meaning, I wish there would have been more light. However, it was not to dark for me to see the hair from the last person who used it. Once that was taken care of I was good to go.
There was more than enough food for breakfast the next morning. We asked the waitress not to bring us everything that was on the menu, as we know it would not be eaten. What we did eat was delicious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for my inlaws birthdays.

The hotel was ther choice as they wanted something a little more special. All I can say is this hotel wasnt any more special than other lower priced hotels I have stayed in.
The decor was extremley dated and shabby and was a bit like staying at your grandmas house.

We were all very disappointed with our stay and the breakfast was simply unacceptable.
We paid for the cooked breakfast option and placed our order. When it came it was tiny - e.g a quarter piece of bread as a portion of fried bread and it was cold.
We put it down to being busy and hoped the next day would be better. The next morning I by passed the full on cooked breakfast and just asked for scrambled egg on toast. Out come one piece of warm bread with the crusts cut off?????? on a big plate with what looked like porridge and tasted vile. We ended up complaining about the disgusting breakfast and they took these off our overall bill.

I would not recommend anyone to stay here and certainly would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I can honestly say that the Cotswold Lodge is one of my favorite hotels. If I return to Oxford, I expect that I'll stay here again. My room was lovely and quite large - especially in comparison to the room that I had when I visited London. I had a bathrobe and a pair of slippers waiting for me when I arrived. My room faced the street, but it was very quiet. The room stayed quite warm despite the chilly temperatures outside.

I never turned it on, but I had a flat screen television. The bed was very comfy despite my miserable jet lag. The hotel had a turn-down service and they left chocolates on my pillow every night. They also had a selection of teas and a hot water pot in the room. The electrical outlets in my room were a little odd. I had to reset all of them a couple of times to get them to operate properly. I'm still not sure what that was about. Most of them worked fine after a couple of resets. (There were a lot of outlets in this room.)

My bathroom was a nice size. The lights needed to warm up for a couple of minutes before they reached their full capacity. There is no regular plug-in for a hair dryer or that sort of thing in the bathroom. There is a plug for a razor. Fortunately, there was a full-length mirror in the wardrobe in my room. That was located near an electrical outlet so I was still able to access a mirror while using a hair dryer.

The staff was wonderful at both the front desk and in the restaurant. I ate breakfast at the lodge all three days and it was delicious. There are two options, a cold breakfast buffet that features fruit, pastries, and cereals, or a hot option that you order off the menu. I generally ate the cold breakfast, but I tried the English breakfast one day and it was fabulous. The bacon was extraordinary.

It was a bit of a walk to get to the Cotswold from the bus station and the train station, but it was manageable, even with my large suitcase and other goodies. (I traveled with a lot of stuff on this trip.) Oxford is generally a very walkable town. I took my time walking to the train station at the end of my visit just so that I could take more photos. Oxford is lovely!

Room Tip: The Trinity room was wonderful. It was a corner room facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HokieKitty
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel has much to recommend it. It is fairly central, clean, has excellent food and, though the price is high, it is reasonable for Oxford . The beds are comfortable. Breakfast is generous and the staff attentive. If they got a few more things right it would be really excellent. The staff are effective and some are welcoming and friendly. We arrived earlier than the check-in time but they managed to get us into our room early so that we could freshen up for the lunch we were attending,

Mostly, the things that need doing would need some more investment - basins whose mixer taps that mix would be good; fans in the en-suite that are not deafeningly noisy would be a real enhancement; faster brightening and overall brighter lighting in the bathrooms; forced air heating instead of radiators would make it airier (it is find but this would be better). Coffee that felt less 'british' and retained more of a fresh aroma would be great. And, while they are at it they could straigthen the pictures on the walls a bit and clean the muslin curtains a bit more often.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the newer rooms if you have acute hearing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on a three-day business trip. The main building has a classic, stylish feel. Check-in went smooth, my room was in an adjacent building. Bit smallish room, but there's a nice comfy bed and there are many amenities available. No minibar fridge though, but that was not so bad for me. The room was clean and also offered the eco friendly towel change option that more and more hotels are using nowadays.
The hotel bar has friendly staff and offers a variety of drinks. It has a typical pub feel, but a bit more upmarket.
Overall my stay was very pleasant!

• Stayed October 2012