“What a Delightful Hotel”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 15, 2012

What a delightful find - a member of the Classic British Hotels (www.classicbritishhotels.com)having just returned from our second visit to this hotel I write this review to bring the readers attention to this little gem where I am confident you will find a warm welcome and exemplary service from all the staff. It is convenient for Oxford City centre, a short walk or a few minutes on the bus. The bus stop is almost right outside the hotel providing a regular service and is better than driving as the parking charges in Oxford are rather high and when exploring Oxford it is good not to have to rush back to the car in order to avoid a parking penalty. Without exception the staff are both friendly and efficient, Ann Marie (reception) Clive (Head of Housekeeping) are worthy of special thanks along with the new French Chef who cooked four superb evening meals during our stay and not forgetting the General Manager Mr. Fallon who is in overall charge of an extremely well run hotel which serves excellent food and represents good value for money, providing easy access to the sights of Oxford. The restaurant staff provided excellent service without being intrusive. We will no doubt return to this excellent and well run hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel several times and was always made to feel welcome. The staff are friendly and the food in the restaurant is really good quality. Just 10 mins from the city center and perfect for a short stay in Oxford.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the French doors leading onto the outside.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Welcoming and very helpful staff, very high standards of cleanliness throughout. Dining room team excellent, as are the bar staff. General manager very welcoming and interested in one's opinion. Would stay again, recommend to others, thank you team.
Location 10/10 for access.

Room Tip: The Merton suite is outstanding
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MICHAEL C
Reviewed May 4, 2012

My absolute favorite hotel. Extremely friendly staff. Excellent food. Quiet, comfortable rooms. I won't stay anywhere else in Oxford, and I've tried quite a few.

Room Tip: Well worth the price to upgrade to one of the luxury rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I got a last minute deal at the this very nice hotel and stayed there for one night, this Sunday. The hotel looks lovely, generous parking, and a warm welcome (inc. an offer to help with my luggage). My room was twin bedded and on the ground floor. Very quiet, very clean, but really, really warm. Despite immediately opening the window to try and cool the room. I couldn't find a thermostat and actually, the heat did bother me and made it difficult to sleep. Maybe if I'd been staying for longer I might have contacted reception.

I found the bed very bouncey! The thing with beds is you'll never satisfy everyone, but I would have liked one feather pillow rather than the three that were offered. Again, I must stress, I didn't give the hotel the chance to offer an alternative. So please keep that in mind - it may not be a negative.

There was tea, coffee, biscuits and soap, flannel and shower cap in the room, as well as a comprehensive guide to the hotel, and free wifi.

The bar was great, good selection and it was nice to dump my stuff and go for a drink and unwind. I didn't have breakfast so cannot comment, but was a little on the steep side at £9ish for the continental option.

Final point, I really appreciated that because my meeting wasn't until late afternoon the next day, and I'd never been to Oxford, they let me leave my car in the carpark for a couple of hours after I had checked out. It was really appreciated. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on a DBB deal through classic hotels and had a lovely break. The hotel is in a great position for exploring oxford it was just a 10 minute stroll into the centre of the city. The food was delicious and the service was great.We had a standard room which was lovely and cosy on what turned out to be a cold weekend. We really enjoyed the open fire in the lounge with its comfy sofas after a lovely dinner in the restaurant ( and a pint in the bar!!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

What I love about this hotel are the unique rooms. Okay you have to go to the higher end of the room rates, but the reward is excellent in terms of individuality and style. It is true that you could stay at the 5* hotel down the road and be slightly closer to town, but that hotel is decidedly frosty and old-fashioned. This hotel is far better placed for Raymond Blanc's Brasserie and right opposite an alley full of exciting Bistro restaurants and unusual pubs!

The hotel has a thriving restaurant of its own. Sadly we had a date with some relatives and could not go this time. Breakfast is great.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra to get one of the rooms in the main building because that is where the character lli...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family