“Good Place where to stay”
Review of YHA Oxford

YHA Oxford
Ranked #3 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Oxford
“Good Place where to stay”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Quite good. I think that the price for a single bottle of water (a half a litre one) is too expansive, and that's a very bad thing. The room where we slept is nice, the bathroom is small but quite comfortable for having a quick shower. The staff is amazing: really nice, professional and easy going guys. The price for a week is fine, neither expansive, nor cheap. The thing I mostly appriciated is the place where the hostel is situated: near the railway, not so far from the centre of Oxford and near the bus station, too.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed for one night , couldnt wait to leave the room as there was mould on the windows and in the shower which made me feel quite ill , my friends reported their rooms were fine so I obviously got a bad room. Communal areas nice and comfortable , lost of comfortable places to sit and chat , even a study we could have a meeting in. Breakfast was good and plentiful , good value. Would not go back due to poor quality of room and shower , theres really no excuse for mould and damp

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

wish I could give this place the thumbs up but I left one day early today and was furious as I had stayed at this hostel before when the place was clean enough for humans or animals to be housed!
I was shown my room. The corridor where my room was stank! Then the room stank worse of drains. The bathroom was the cause, it was flooded and looked like no one had cleaned the floor for months. I felt like buying some cheap bleach and leaving them a note saying "please clean with this!". I had the bed next to the bathroom which stank. Then the light stopped working, and since there was no window, people had to wee or poo with the door open a few feet away from where I was trying to sleep. I complained at the desk twice about the lack of light and they said "Oh yes we are aware of the problem and we will be seeing to it today" but it was obviously an ongoing problem. I had the £4.99 breakfast. The eggs were nice, the grilled tomatoes tasted of fish, the coffee was cold,the tables dirty and sticky even though I was there early. The kitchen was also very dirty and to make the ambiance worse people were stealing food from other guests.
I complained about the stink in the room and the terrible state of the bathroom and the fact there was no light. I asked to leave after my first night and if I could have my money back for the second night and second costly breakfast. They said no . This was after I was standing at the desk and was being ignored for some time while the staff chatted to some guy standing behind me in the queue, which did not improve my mood. They said I could change my room but that it would be a problem. I asked if I couldn't even get my breakfast for the next day refunded and they said no. So I gave them my key and came back home. My clothes still absolutely stink when I unpacked. I think if environmental health went over there they would see and smell how bad it is is. I have been youth hostelling all over Europe and never encountered anything this bad in terms of dirty smelly bathrooms and rooms. Last time I stayed there was three year's ago and everything was clean in the bathroom, the kitchen, the restaurant. I have no idea how they can continue with this kind of lack of sanitation. I felt like I was in some kind of prison. I have cancelled my holiday in Oxford which is very upsetting but at least at home I can use a bathroom and don't have to witness other people going to the loo.
Really not good!

Room Tip: if the room smells complain immediately it's the drains flooding and very unhygienic
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Really not good!

Room Tip: If it smells bad you are in the part with no hygiene, the other side of the hostel may have adequate...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in early December.

When I first got there I was given a room which when I first walked into smelt of urine and when looking at the bathroom it had water ALL over the floor (presumably the plumbing wasn't working). Thankfully the staff were lovely enough to move me to another room which was much better. Our rooms had more than adequate storage space and a separate toilet and shower.
The lounge room is comfortable and the library a pleasant surprise. Didn't use the kitchen so can't comment on that.
Shame that Internet is still only available at the reception, but glad to see YHA finally offer free internet to its members.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed at YHA Oxford during the first weekend of November. The hostel was really centrally located, about a five minute walk to the train station and a ten minute walk to the bus station. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. I was in a six person room, which had its own private bathroom. The beds were clean, relatively comfortable, and each had their own light. The restroom was clean, but smelt quite bad, as did the shower room. After about two nights, the room started smelling quite bad as well, so that is something to be prepared for. There was a lot of moisture in the room, so everything felt damp. The breakfast was a full English breakfast, along with different pastry items and cereals, so there were plenty of choices. All in all, it is a good choice if you are going to be in Oxford for a quick trip and would like to meet other people.

Room Tip: Just watch out for rooms that have a strange smell.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I found this hostel really good. It was clean, staff very friendly and always ready to help.The only bad note was the kitchen, quite small if you consider the total amount of guest this place can host. Having a meal in a decent time was impossible 'cause the kitchen was full of other people but a lot of good points: comfty beds, cleaned rooms and nice commun area.A bit noisy cause is close to the railway station but that's normal...a silent railway station does not existe anywhere in the world!!

Room Tip: rooms on the west side ( if you are facing boatley road) are quiter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo