“Prepare for your taste-buds to be in overdrive!”
Review of Sichuan Grand

Sichuan Grand
Get food delivered
Ranked #518 of 671 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2016

Not your usual westernised Chinese restaurant! Indeed, rare are the non-Chinese diners.

Dinner is served quite early - indeed from around 21.30 they start shutting down ready to sit down to their own meals. The menu is exotic and the food is delicious: cumin lamb, dry-fried pigs' intestines, twice-cooked pork, sliced pork lavishly (they are not exaggerating!) topped with chilli and pepper are favourites of mine.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (180)

Reviewed June 1, 2016

The best things about the restaurant are the location and the building -- it has a nice ambiance. However, on my visit the service was very slow, and they brought the food with the wrong timings. In addition, the food was too greasy and oily. For example, the aubergines seemed stale. I could not distinguish them from sponges soaked in oil of some mysterious kind. I think I will not visit a second time.

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank O9858ZGgiuseppem
Reviewed May 22, 2016

Original Sichuan cooking. Good spicy food, great service and mostly chinese customers. Tells a story. Well worth a visit

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed May 17, 2016

We booked for 9:30pm and when we got there and ordered starters the waiter said we would have to order main and have it at the same time because the kitchen closed at 10:30pm

Eventually after speaking with manager they agreed there was time to eat starters first. We got half way through our starters when most of the main course arrived. The rice was very cold do we sent it back only to get it back two minutes later and it had obviously been microwaved but came in more or less one lump and tasted awful so we left it. We were almost finished and still hadn't got a pork dish we had ordered. I asked about this and was told they had forgotten it and would cook it for me. I informed the manager that it was too late as all that was now left was cold. We told her the rice was cold and inedible and she asked if we wanted to take it away to heat up at home. I felt sorry for the waiter as he spoke very little English and had just started working there. He seemed really fed up and kept apologising for the bad food and service. Another large waiter appeared with the bill and was the most miserable person I have ever seen. We did not pay for the rice or pork nor leave a tip. Would I recommend this restaurant yes but only to someone I really hated. Avoid it at all costs- you have been warned

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Johnl24769
Reviewed May 11, 2016 via mobile

Food very average but the service plumbs new depths in incompetence. One of our dishes went to the wrong table 10
Minutes after our original food
arrived.
We suggested the bill should be adjusted 4 times... When we got the bill it was still on and the staff became rude telling us we'd eaten it and had to pay. I refused. Please don't patronise this restaurant. The staff had no idea of what was on the menu, no white wine by the glass... And no English spoken by any of the staff. Try Jin Jin on the Cowley Rd instead.

Date of visit: May 2016