“Loud, generous, delicious- probably the best restaurant in Oxford”

My Sichuan Restaurant
Ranked #430 of 625 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Loud, generous, delicious- probably the best restaurant in Oxford”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Oxford is poorly served by restaurants. Not sure why. Perhaps the clientele are dining instead behind college walls, where they can bore each other to death about their latest 'paper' over half-cooked chicken thighs and cheap port?
My Sichuan is big - three rooms, full of large round tables. It's also often full of young Chinese people, busily eating, drinking, shouting, laughing. It is lively, funny, human, generous, inviting - completely unlike Oxford in fact.
Portions are big and good value. This variety of Chinese cuisine is spicy but nothing we've had has been unbearably hot. The chillis in 'pock marked ma's beancurd', for example, were fragrant rather than fiery. Although nothing here is bland. Broccoli and garlic had lots of garlic. Pickled cucumbers are nicely pickled. Lemon chicken is very lemony. Deep fried sweet corn is both sweet and ... corny.
The menu is vast so you'd spend a lifetime working through it. A degree of experimentation and risk-taking is required as the pictures on the menu aren't always clear and the English fluency of the staff is variable.
This restaurant is worth making a special journey to Oxford for - I can't think of another restaurant in the city you can say that about.

1 Thank EnglishViv

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“....well recommended!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I'm unfamiliar with Sichuan cuisine but I love spicy and I like eating offal. I wasn't disappointed in either of those departments. Fortunately, I went for lunch with a Chinese friend who knew his way around the menu and we enjoyed a great selection. My favourite dish was 'husband and wife' which is a combination of ox tripe and sliced beef in a tasty (but not fiery hot) chilli sauce. NB. In case you fancy trying this dish - it's served cold. Generous helpings, quick and friendly service....well recommended!

• Visited July 2012
The Shire
“Interesting, authentic & fun”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A great eat! The food here is a great break from generic Chinese cuisine. Not being well versed in regional food the staff were most helpful. Fiery, fresh and full of flavour I'd highly recommend!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Le-Tardoire
Oxford, United Kingdom
“An absolute must (if you like spicy)”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Authentic Sichuan cuisine is hard to find, but it is worth it when you find it. My Sichuan is a superb example, with an extensive menu of dishes you won't find anywhere else at good prices (for the generous portions). I've been many times and every dish has been spectacular. The only problems are that the choice for vegetarians is very limited and the staff aren't the world's most helpful.

• Visited March 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Authentic but salty”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We ate here a couple of nights ago. It was surprisingly busy on a quiet night, many Chinese diners which obviously speaks well for the aunthenticity of the food.

The building used to be the ticket office for the Oxford Bus Station, I remember it well, before that a school, and the architecture I would think is arts-and-crafts. When you come in you find yourself in a round central hall with a raised glass dome with stained glass illustrations showing the letters of the alphabet. The present occupants haven't messed it up, there are Chinese paintings and other details but the character of the place remains so it's a spectacular place to eat. There are other large rooms off the main hall and the threatened karaoke is carried out (I hope) in soundproofed rooms upstairs. The Bus Station is still there but doesn't disturb at all.

The menu is large, clearly illustrated and full of adventurous dishes. It proclaims "10% service charge" on all prices, in fact this is included in the prices. Our waiter told us it's shared out between the staff, I hope that's true.

We chose (cold) tripe strips, duck breast, deep fried chicken cubes with chili. Surprisingly it was the tripe, normally a dish of horror for southern Englanders, which turned out to be the star - delicate and subtle in a lightly spiced salad. It was all beautifully prepared and the service was friendly and efficient.

My only problem was that much of it was very heavily salted - as a 60+ year old I've been avoiding salt for some years and the tiniest bit tastes like a packet full. Sichuan cooking goes in for strong seasoning - platefuls of (relatively mild) chili, tongue-tingling Sichuan pepper and yes, lots of salt. But as our waiter politely pointed out, you can ask for less salt in the dishes so next time we'll do that. And there will be a next time !

• Visited June 2012