Review Highlights
Oxford in an afternoon

My husband and I cannot imagine a better experience than we had with David Gunnell during our... read more

Reviewed October 15, 2018
DHKKGK
New York City, New York
Another wonderful tour with David Gunnell

I took a group of people to Stratford-upon-Avon today to meet our tour guide David Gunnell. We had... read more

Reviewed September 6, 2018
jamaal823
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

All reviews david gunnell stratford upon avon highly recommend david walking tour wonderful morning hour tour oxford city four hours wonderful tour two hours harry potter private tour christ church knowledge interests life stories
Reviewed November 28, 2014

I have lived in Oxford for ten years and have learned a lot about its history during this time. I love my adopted home town and enjoy showing visitors around. However, I recently had a very special visit from some dear friends and their 9 and 11-year old daughters. The girls are serious Harry Potter fans and I wanted to give them a special experience in Oxford so I arranged a private tour with Oxford City Walk.

Heidi was our guide and she immediately engaged with the girls, asking them lots of questions and stoking their curiosity about Oxford. Heidi took us into Christ Church College and pointed out all of the Harry Potter connections. She even brought along a sorting hat for the girls to pose in for pictures.

We continued on to Oxford's other major points of interest, stopping occasionally for Heidi to give us a bit of history or point out something amusing for the girls. The pace of the tour was perfect and Heidi made sure to keep it interesting for the children and for the grown ups. My friends really enjoyed it and I even learned some new things about Oxford! It was worth paying the extra for a private tour, I think the girls really appreciated Heidi's interest and attention to them. It also made it a lot easier to navigate the crowds and allowed us to cover more ground in two hours. I can highly recommend Oxford City Walk!

Reviewed November 22, 2014

I found this tour through the internet, and am I glad I did. My son and I had an afternoon free in Oxford, and the literary tour we wanted was a different day. I splurged on this tour, and was so glad I did. David was an excellent, generous guide, with lots of information on our interests (Tolkien, CS Lewis, Harry Potter) and lots more. He told us the natural history museum across from the college dorm where we were staying was excellent, so we went. That museum ended up being one of the highlights of our 16 day trip to England! The tour was just for my 16 yo son and me, and was a reasonable price and totally (more than!) worth it.

Reviewed November 20, 2014

I accompanied a small part of German university lecturers on an afternoon's tour of the medieval heart of Oxford and St John's college and library. Our guide, David, was hugely engaging and extremely knowledgeable and informative. He was also a charming companion for the duration of the tour and very deft at judging just the right mix of information, anecdote and story to make for a very engaging afternoon.

I heartily recommend this tour guide to future visitiors!

Reviewed November 16, 2014

We have enjoyed the pleasure of David's company and been the recipients of his encyclopaedic knowledge of Oxford on three occasions in the past. This latest meeting was a complete surprise after a birthday dinner the night before, David appeared with some of my friends and relatives on a perfect October day.

David's tours are always tailor made for each group and knowing us he put together four hours of sights and stories all of which were new to us. David has excellent relationships with many of the College staff and so is able to illuminate a side of the city which standard tours know nothing of. Quirks of architecture above our heads and below our feet, easily missed, are pointed out in a fun and informative way.

David's style is relaxed and informal, he is a delight and very generous with his time and knowledge. Thank you David for making my birthday so special. Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 11, 2014

An Oxford experience with a difference, courtesy of David, despite almost continuous rain. Having met us at the junction of Keble Road with Banbury Road, he escorted us to the ultra-modern building that houses the Mathematical Institute, where we enjoyed a most interesting tour. This is not a building to be underestimated. From there we walked to Jericho and the Anglo-Catholic parish church of Saint Barnabas with its square Italianate tower – another revelation thanks to David’s thorough research. Our third and final destination was a pleasant lunch at The Perch at Binsey, after which we went our separate ways.
As before, David’s preparation and knowledge made fascinating what could so easily been quite mundane.