“Disgustin”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
sarah118
“Disgustin”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We booked 1 night at Days Inn with Thomas Cook. It was a one night stopover on the drive back from our fortnight in France.

We arrived at the hotel at 9.30 and the first thing I saw was a rat running across the doorway. I realise now, it was probably leaving in disgust!

We got into our room and immediately I spotted two big stains on the bed-sofa where one of the children was supposed to sleep. The room smelt musty and the other mattress for second pull out bed was missing. I instantly checked the bedding as I suspected it may be dirty. It was not but then we got the bedding out for the pull out bed and found the duvet has somebodys blood on it!

My partner then went to reception and asked the staff to come and have a look at the state of the room. He told us that the room had been vacuumed! I don't dispute this but I would not have let a dog sleep on the bed with the stains on it, never mind the children.

To their credit, they moved us to the "executive room" next door. I don't know what was executive about it, it was the same as the one we were in but it had a fridge with a bottle of water in it.

I have stayed in many hotels and have never been concerned about staying the night but I did not want to sleep there, I felt dirty!

I appreciate that this hotel is very cheap but if they advertised as "very cheap but very dirty" would anyone book? I don't think so.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Location: This hotel is located in a "Welcome Back Services" Center. Just of the English version of an Interstate Highway 'rest stop'. It has fast food, some facilities and lodging. Plenty of cars, buses and trucks too (this is not a problem, just be aware of it). The location is approximately 10 miles outside of Oxford. A 45 minute bus ride one-way. Round trip on the bus was 4 pounds per person. At first we were wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. Concerns were not valid. Yes, it is out of Oxford. But the cost differential (savings) verus being in Oxford (if anything was available) was substantial. We arrived by train to Oxford. Many of the people in the train station had no idea where this Days Inn was. The internet instructions advised taking City Bus 280. We found bus 280. Even the driver didn't know as first. A thought, and he said yes. SO, remember bus 280. We rode that bus everyday. No complaints. Was enjoyable. We stayed at the Days Inn for 4-nights. Saved a lot of money.
The room was large and comfortable and clean. Staff was very helpful. Really, other than the 'shock' of the location this place was fine for sleeping. And, the 'shock' of the location wore off quickly.
If you have a car this might be a great choice. Decent room, place to park the car, bus ride to Oxford and save some money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple