“Receptionist training required!”

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Receptionist training required!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed here last week on business having had a comfortable stay here before. On arriving (as a Platinum IHG Member) I was promptly informed by 'James' on reception that I was booked in to a twin room and not a double room as there 'no doubles left'. Having informed James that I had booked a double not a twin, he informed me 'It's first come first served'. There was no hint of an apology or compensation. I wasn't welcomed as a Platinum member or offered a free drink, which is now standard at all HIE. On asking for my free drink voucher I was told 'oh yeh I forgot' and then when I asked for an extra bag of complimentary peanuts, the affable James informed me ' I suppose so, the cost of them isn't coming out of my pocket' !!!! The room was cold, even with heating on and the single duvet cover didn't help keep me warm. Everything else including breakfast was standard HIE, clean and fairly well presented. I feel that given the basic offering of HIE, a helpful and courteous reception staff is mandatory and I certainly didn't get it on this visit!

Room Tip: Arrive early if you want a double room rather than a twin, even if you book a double!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments. I am very sorry about the way your whole check in was handled. I would apprecaite it if you would contact me via email on: cmason@expressoxford.com, so that I can investigate this further.
I certainly agree that reception training is required in this situation. I would also like to assure you that if you book with the hotel, we always sell the exact room required either a double or a twin. If we have fully sold our doubles we would therefore offer and sell twins. Some sites accept the bookings and forward them as double/twins which I think is wrong. I would like the opportunity to find out how this happened. It certainly is not the case of when a guest actually arrives that they could receive a double or a twin. These are booked when the booking is made
Chris Mason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

OK – let’s see what type of hotel this is, it’s a Holiday Inn Express, therefore not IC or Crowne Plaza, so let’s rate it accordingly, as a HIE. Does it come up to standard. Yes. Staff were bang on, attentive and considerate. Room was fine for the price and a one nighter away from home visiting my daughter at Uni.

Bedding was fine as was shower facilities. Breakfast I gave a miss as I went out running the needed to head to Birmingham. However, I grabbed a tea, and other guests seemed to be enjoying the sausages, beans and scrambled eggs, etc. I had a couple of slurps of tea, when was good and hot.

Only slight downside. Our room backed onto the football car park, and Sunday morning is car boot day. The locals started arriving before 7am, and boy were they noisy. I was up anyhow for y run, but other guests may have been annoyed, so ask for a room on the front.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I also would like to thank you for the comment about the car boot sale. I have spoken to them previously to keep their visitors away from the hotel. I will speak to them again because we do not want our guests to be disturbed.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel was convenient for Oxford City, Blenheim Palace, Oxford City Football Club, Bicester. Shopping Village, cinema, bowling and local eateries. The hotel was very clean and well maintained, the breakfast was lovely. The price of the hotel is very reasonable, parking and full wifi are included in the price. The staff were extremely accommodating. We had a very pleasant stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: Did not use room service so unable to comment on this
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review. It is always very pleasing to read such positive comments. We hope that you are able to return soon.
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I thought the hotel was as you should expect with holiday inn express..clean, hot showers, polite staff, perfectly good breakfast and free papers...but if you stay and go into Oxford and come back late....do not catch the 1 or 5 back...as we got off the bus driver said' keep walking...don't stop'...very dodgy area to walk back through....we felt quite unsafe...very very very luckily we found a taxi just sat outside someones house and although he was a ring up taxi only he took us saying ' I don't normally pick people up on this area......it's not the best...'...I was very relieved to get back. I would stay again...but I would use the park and ride...which is cheaper ..£4.50 for 2 return and you get straight back in your car. The hotel do offer another option of £10 each way by taxi. So don't be put off...but don't use 1 and 5 bus....use park and ride....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julievickerman
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very pleased to read that you were pleased with the hotel. I am sorry that you were concerned about the return journey at night to the hotel.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the Oxford Spires Four Pillars Hotel when my friend who was also visiting Oxford convinced me to join him at the Holiday Inn Express.The hotel is just by the Kassam Stadium and it is a bit out of town after the Oxford Science Park. The neighbourhood is quiet and has a lot of greenery. The hotel is clean and the staff are quite professional and prompt. The room comes with breakfast but they do not serve lunch and dinner. However the reception told me there are some restaurants behind the stadium about five minutes walk from the hotel. It costs about £10 by cab to the city. Don't forget to collect the taxi company phone number to pick you from town because the black cab from town will charge about £16 to get you back to the hotel. The room rate I got was the same as the Four Pillars where I came from. The room I stayed in was clean though a bit cramped up.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your comments. I am pleased that you decided to come and stay in our hotel.
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Nice one night stay at this holiday inn. No major problems to report. Room was clean and well laid out. Bed was lovely and comfy. Bar was ok but the seats are not the most comfortable in the world.
Breakfast was below par. If they spent a little extra on decent fruit juice and decent coffee the breakfast would be very much improved.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thankyou for posting your comments. I am pleased to read that you had a nice stay
Oswestry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Easy to find with good sized car park. The room (& whole hotel) was clean & quiet - even with a coach tour booking in. There is a small entertainment complex just round the corner with cinema & couple of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments. I am pleased that the hotel suited your needs.