“O.K OVERNIGHT'S STAY”

Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for one night, which seemed to correspond with the stay of many uni students, as I understand that there was a delay in the completion of their Uni dorms. Nevertheless, check in was efficient and firendly.
The bedroom was adequate and the bed was comfortable.
Apart from vending m/c or takeaways, there was no lunch/dinner available. There were 4 restaurants within walking distance and as such, the lack of available food at the hotel is not too much of an issue.
Breakfast was as per usual holiday inn fare, boring and predictable.
Check out was a joke. The elderly, eastern european male receptionist was insisting that I enter my bank pin number, but was failing to tell me how much I was expected to sign off! Finally, a fellow colleague sorted it out. The saturation of eastern europe staff at many hotels has caused endless misunderstandings and as such, the Holiday Inn should ensure that there is at least one British born and bred staff on hand at the reception counter, especially at check in/out times.

Room Tip: Flick a coin
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Cmason, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were disppointed with the check out experience. I am responsible for recruitment at the hotel. I offer employment to people who based on enthusiam, integrity hard work etc. To discriminate against non English staff would be against the law. We advertise & recruit locally. The "Eastern European" chap is French. He speaks French, German, Italian, Portuguese and English. Many of our guests are not English, so having the ability to speak other languages is good for many of our guests.
General manager

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nice hotel with a big free parking option. 5/7 mins drive to city centre. Staff were quite nice and room was clean and tidy. We stayed for a night and liked their breakfast, too.
It was on 30th December- so hotel wasn't that busy. We enjoyed the place and stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were visiting in Oxford so stayed at the Holiday Inn express. It isn't near the city center, but it is right next to a park and ride bus stop where you can catch the green line 300 bus to and from the city, which I did and was very handy. The hotel room was nice. It has screens that pull shut instead of curtains, so a nice touch and really kept the room dark. The bathroom could use some updating and as a warning, I was taking a shower and went to turn it off and instead the water got super hot and was burning my feet. The shower spray was such that I had to jump out of the tub (and it had steep sides) in order to prevent scalding my feet - my husband figured out how to turn the water off, so you might want to try it out BEFORE you get in and be careful because water is SUPER hot! They also charge for wifi, and snacks in room which was disappointing- Holiday Inn didn't use to charge for these things.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eatsleeptour

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am very concerned about the very hot water, when you used the shower. All our showers are fitted with anti scald guards so clearly one must have failed?
Upon reading the review I would like to double check whether it could be about the Holiday Inn Peartree Oxford? That hotel is served by bus 300, and they have bath/showers with bath tub sides. We only have showers with flat shower trays. Also our wi fi is complimentary. I would kindly ask if you could e mail me directly on cmason@expressoxford.com so that I can identify the room number with the scalding shower. I would forward the details to the other hotel if it is not us.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed for one night whilst working in Oxford. No restaurant on site & nothing nearby. Fortunately, I'd already eaten in Oxford itself. Room was clean but too warm & bed felt too hard - not a good nights sleep. Breakfast was poor, limited choice of warm food & pretty bland & tasteless. Also, free wifi was inadequate - kept losing connection.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I would like to add that although we don't have a restaurant in the hotel that there are:
three restaurants 4 minutes walk from the hotel
King Arms a nice pub at Sandford Lock is only one mile from the hotel
We have a free-phone for take away restaurants so that guests can order food into the hotel.
Our breakfast unlike most of our competitors is complimentary. We offer a Continental buffet breakfast with sausage, beans & scrambled eggs. The vast majority of our guests when asked would you like more choice and pay extra or keep the selection as it is, answer with keep as it is.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights here and found the staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was adequate. We did experience noisy neighbours but the manager was very apologetic and gave us a refund for the night, which we were very impressed with as the hotel staff seem to care that you have a good night's sleep. It was easy and cheap to get a taxi into the entre of Oxford where we spent one day and the staff were very informative about places to visit and eat round and about. We would go there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I am sorry that you were disturbed one night by some selfish people. We try our best to ensure that there is no noise at night with corridor patrols and credit card pre authorisation for guests on arrival. It is very unfortunate that on this occasion that people in another room were badly behaved
I am pleased to read that you were pleased with the other aspects of your stay

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Bright and clean, with friendly service. Parking is free. Breakfast is just adequate. Cheap ingredients and limited choice. Not very convenient for city centre but cheaper than most city centre hotels and plenty of rooms available for a very last minute booking.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cmason, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your comments. I would agree with your comments that the City Centre hotels tend to be more expensive, they also charge extra for parking. The are several transport options from our hotel to the City Centre:
Taxis; we have a fixed price arrangement of £10
Buses: numbers One and Five run every 6 minutes to the City Centre
The Park & ride is also veryu popular and this is not far from the hotel.
General Mmanager

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel was fine just to put your head down for one night. There is no catering at the hotel in the evening. Everything round about was closed by the time we arrived after 11pm. If you were single you wouldn't walk around the area anyway. The receptionist was rude and arrogant when we checked in but our room was clean but our daughters' room wasn't. We requested a twin room for our daughters but by the time we arrived all the twin rooms had gone and so a sofa bed had to be made up. Perhaps it would be advisable to let the hotel know that you are going to check in late but in reality I don't think that this should be necessary. The bar was open but it was expensive and lacked atmosphere. I had to ask for the air conditioning to be turned down as it was freezing in the bar/breakfast area. Gin and tonic was a drink too far as they didn't know how to make it! However the 'man in charge' after making up the sofa bed came to the rescue. The breakfast was bog standard but it is included in the price and there is no parking charge so an upside to being slightly out of Oxford. This hotel is suitable for just a sleeping base but if I was wanting to experience Oxford and its surrounding area I would avoid it.

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate which type of room you want and don't accept alternatives.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for for sending in your comments. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced with the sofa bed not being ready. We prefer to set the sofa beds up early in the day if we know that they are wanted in a room, but we receive a lot of on line bookings where a double or twin is booked. For these types of bookings we prepare the sofa beds once the guests arrive. I would also like to apologise about the gin & tonic. The chap behind reception at that time was one of our Night security team