The Westwood Hotel
$105
  • Pool
$294
$250
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$101
$84
  • Pool
$142
$134
All reviewswedding plannerlovely hoteltaxi ridethe general managershort drivebreakfast was excellentafternoon teacomfortable roomoxford city centreboarsdisco
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed two nights for the occasion of our son and daughter in law's wedding. We took over the whole hotel for the wedding and everything went very well. The staff were very attentive and helpful especially Gaby who was on duty for the complete duration of our stay. We had a large comfortable room, ideal for dressing for the wedding. Everything was spotlessly clean although the pressure of the shower needs to be improved. The only additional thing that would have been useful was a shower cap as I forgot to bring one! We had a family meal the evening before the wedding which was excellent. All the catering for the wedding was of a high quality and much enjoyed. Special mention should be made of Merilyn, the wedding coordinator, who I know has been bombarded with emails from my daughter in law and brought together our perfect day. The sunny weather was a bonus and meant that we could enjoy the terrace and the garden. I have noted the other comments re lack of staff and these were a bit thin on some occasions eg behind the bar in the evening and on reception at times.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden is preferential and the premium rooms are far more spacious
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had a one night stay here with my girlfriend in April. First impressions on arrival was that it looked a bit dated, certainly didn't give the impression of a luxury hotel. Nobody at reception to check us in, wondered around aimlessly until I found a member of staff.

Considering I paid a small supplement for what was supposed to be a nicer room with a better view, the room was small, basic and overlooked a gravel car park, not great. The mattress was poor, very soft, lumpy and uncomfortable. The shower was possibly the worst shower I've used in a 'hotel', virtually no water pressure what-so-ever. Only plus point was the room was clean.

Went out to Oxford in the evening so didn't eat in the hotel (thankfully) but when we got back to our room in the evening all you could hear was doors slamming everytime anyone entered / left their room, you can't shut the doors quietly.

Went down for breakfast the next day and again no staff to be seen. Finally found someone who always seemed very nervous and uncomfortable. We had scrambled egg with smoked salmon (again paying a supplemnt) and it was average at best, not much smoked salmon and slightly rubbery egg.

Before we left I asked for a bottle of water for the journey home (assuming it would be complimentary) and got charged £2 for a tiny glass bottle. When I checked out I raised my dis-satisfaction with the bed and shower in particular - the member of staff looked surprised yet clearly after reading other reviews on here these problems should be known issues that should have been fixed by the hotel.

All in all, this trip was below average and very poor value for money. I certainly wouldn't return again and I would strongly urge anyone considering to use this hotel to go elsewhere!!

Room Tip: Don't bother, choose a different hotel all together.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Where do I start...

My partner and I were looking for a relaxing weekend away for a cultural and romantic experience in Oxford for an overnight stay. Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to expectations. Our room was tidy and to be fair to the management the hotel was very up together. What the hotel did lack was staff and a good management system.

We found ourselves struggling to get served at reception, the bar and the restaraunt as they had a wedding the night previous and when we asked where the other members of staff were we were told by the 1 employee working that night that they were all resting. We decided to eat at the restaraunt and have a few drinks to then retire to our room. The food was of average quality but arrived late and the drinks were over priced and we struggled to get served on many occasions. We felt like we couldn't blame the man working as he was trying his best but instead we put it down to a severe management issue that could have been so easily corrected.

We cut our losses and retired to the room for a good nights sleep but found ourselves in a rather spooky situation. I had been awake for several hours unable to sleep due to noises of foot steps shuffling on the carpet and a cold feeling over my body which couldn't be explained. Petrafied with fear I turned to my partner for solace and found him to be awake also. We then saw the light flicker on and off as if someone had pulled the lamp switch but not all the way. I then refused to sleep as I was frozen with disbelief. After a terrible nights sleep, my partner and I left ASAP the next morning with no energy to even argue with the manager.

As far as I'm concerned the Hotel should be advertised as a B&B or wedding venue NOT a luxury hotel set in woodland surroundings as it did not reach to the standards I was hoping for. It cost my partner and I £143.00 for a restless night with no sleep and a dinner that tasted average but was let down by inadequate service. The drinks we managed to get at the bar were not cheap and looking back on our experience I would have rather spent a few extra pounds to stay in a city centre hotel that may have provided a better quality experience.

The best part of the trip was getting back onto the M4 and heading home. With bags under our eyes and a lighter wallet I would genuinely say I would never stay there again. I advise others to think carefully before booking this hotel. Although no stories of ghosts and hauntings can be found on the internet there is definitely something spooky about the room we were in. I have done much research and turns out we were not the only ones to have made similar complaints. This is not an ideal hotel to stay in and as for booking my wedding there I couldn't think of a worse place.

Room Tip: We stayed in room no.5 and thats where we experienced our ghostly encounter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaigeR158
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We checked in quite late, went to sleep and checked out early so our experiences were limited to the check-in and the room. Check-in was efficient but not overly friendly. The room was clean and well furnished. The real problem was the shower which was cold or scalding with no medium level. When we checked out we mentioned it and the people behind us in the queue said "That sounds familiar" and we all had a chat about how bad the water-flow was...

Otherwise a beautiful and convenient location and the room was great. Just a bad shower and rather efficient and not-quite-unfriendly service at check-in.

Room Tip: Room 23 and at least one other had a terrible shower!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Set off the beaten track, it's basically a large extended house, set up as a hotel. Very professional, attentive staff, clean, and well maintained. Breakfast was lovely, with fresh eggs from their own chickens, and the evening meal very well cooked, albeit a little on the expensive side. Free wifi is a bonus as I stayed there for work. Will be back next time I stay in Oxford for work, would highly recomend. The TV lounge is a nice touch, even though you have a large flat screen TV in your room.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business