“A poor experience without actually staying”
Review of The Westwood Hotel

The Westwood Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I booked to stay 1 night on saturday 21st May . I was called today to tell me they have a wedding booked and that I would be placed at the rear of the hotel so that I could not hear the party and be disturbed in anyway . Ok I thought but was then told I would not be allowed to have a drink in the bar or to have an evening meal in the restaurant because of the wedding . I cancelled my booking and complained but not even an apology for my wasted time and the hassle of re booking at short notice. Instead a patronizing email confirming my cancellation .... NEVER STAYED THEIR AND NEVER WILL

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Barclay42
There are newer reviews for The Westwood Hotel

Reviewed May 18, 2011

I stayed here recently while visiting family in Oxford. I was pleasantly surprised to be put into a triple room, having booked a double for myself and my other half, who decided not to come along after all. The room was simply furnished, but clean and pleasant. The bathroom was a good size.

Breakfast was reasonable, and while the choice wasn't extensive, everything was of a good quality. The soft-boiled egg was perfect, and the coffee surprisingly good. The dining room is spacious and looks out onto the gardens, which back onto woods.

There were some niggles, such as the wardrobe door not closing properly. The lack of a second chair was not a problem as I was the sole occupant of the room and out most of the time, but I can see that it might be rather awkward for two or three guests. On the plus side, there was a garden bench just outside the external door, though its use would be limited.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and I would have given the hotel a 'Very Good' instead of an 'Average' rating if there hadn't been a problem with the hot water supply (there was none). Fortunately one of the staff arranged for me to use the shower in a neighbouring room.

The hotel is located just outside Oxford, and there is a Park & Ride nearby for those who wish to go into the city.

I would definitely come back to the Westwood, but next time I would check the hot water taps before unpacking.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Nyonya
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Had a wonderful trip, location, quality, service was amazing. Frequent traveller but this was spectacular.
Recommend to anyone

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank macleith
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Booked this hotel on the spur of the moment. We had arrived in Oxford a few hours earlier and were having such a lovely day we decided to stay. The Westwood was lovely, so nice in fact that we didnt go out into Oxford and instead chose to eat at the hotel restaurant after a bottle of wine in the beautiful gardens. The hotel was really quiet and peaceful. The room was large with plenty of space. The only drawback was that the shower did not attach to the wall which made washing my hair difficult but not the end of the world. The food was lovely as was our breakfast and the staff could not be more helpful. Would certainly book this hotel again if we revisit Oxford.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank L3Manager
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed in the Westwood for one night on a Saturday. We paid £115.00 for a double room and were placed in Room 1. We could have no complaints on the cleanliness of the room but then again the size of the room bed / furniture / bathroom suite etc were all distinctley average which would be fine if we were paying around the £70-80 mark but for £100+ I think you should expect that little extra quality in the room. The bar and breakfast area are ok and the back terrace is lovely for breakfast on a warm morning. Staff helpful no complaints there. My review title sums it up - dont book your room, turn up and expect to get blown away because you wont - but then again all-round service is fine and you wont come away disgruntled either.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank topcat039
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Have stayed here a number of times in the past year or so, and i have to say it really is the most wonderfull hotel. Peacefull and relaxed setting, not far from Oxford Centre. The staff have always been exceptionally helpfull and accommodating. Can certainly see all the various improvements happening with each visit. The newly decorated rooms are stunning, but i would be equally happy to stay in some of the older rooms. All are very comfortable and spotlessly clean which is above all the most important thing. I plan to return with my partner in the near future for a long weekend as i mostly have stayed here on business so far. Cant wait to relax on the terrace with an afternoon tea or a cocktail on a weekend day, chill out and read the papers. Bliss.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We arrived around 10 pm and informed we were getting the last room available. The room had stained ceilings and the wallpaper was peeling. When we got to the room, we discovered that there was no heat. Reception was aware of this but failed to inform us in advance. We were then given a space heater. However, the space heater blew the electrical fuse and thus there was no electricity. This happened twice. Once the electricity was restored the second time, we went to sleep, only to be awakened by the TV popping on in the middle of the night. We surmise that this was due to the fact that others in nearby rooms must have blown the fuse with their space heaters and when the electricity was turned back on, the TV automatically went on. This also happened twice. Fast forward to morning - after one short shower, there was no more hot water. The only minor redemption, we got a 40+% discount in what was already a ridiculous price for the quality of hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2011