“Great service, fantastic food”
Review of Le Kesh

Le Kesh
Ranked #57 of 640 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Le Kesh takes you on a Mediterranean culinary voyage from Beirut to Marrakesh. It hosts a range of traditional dishes such as the famous Moroccan Tagines with its very own twist, which can be accompanied by a range of wines from different part of the globe. The warm, welcoming décor and the soft fusion of music echoing in the background will leaving you wishing to bottle the ambience to take away with you. Our chef arranges a daily special for those who dare to want more at weekends! For those who want to escape the city try out our garden which will take you to the atlas mountains decor... We cater for all sizes of parties with party menus available. Please enquire for more information on any upcoming event or bookings.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

A group of us had the mixed menu at £15 a head for a selection of starters, mains and dessert. The food was outstanding, all of it was very tasty and we got to try a variety of different dishes for a fantastic price.
What's more, they were always happy to bring us anything else we asked for and even offered to bring us more when we'd finished what we had.
The service was so friendly, prompt and nothing was too much trouble.
Will definitely be eating here again!

1  Thank Mr_Connecticut_111
There are newer reviews for Le Kesh

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stumbled into Le Kesh in the hope of some authentic Arabic fusion food and a romantic atmosphere, but what we got was rude staff and distinctly average food. The glasses and plates were grubby. I wanted to check the hygiene rating (wish I'd done it beforehand!) before writing this review in case it was a one-off. However, Oxford's food hygiene 'Scores on the doors' ratings confirm the inadequacy of the establishment. It rates 2/5 (improvement necessary) with 'poor' structural compliance, and only 'some' confidence in management. Since my local kebab van rates a 5 for excellent hygiene etc, this is rather damning. This info is publically available and it seems on this occasion my experience matches that of the inspectors.

1  Thank Yidder J
Reviewed June 26, 2013

we had one of the best meals I ever had followed by the amazing shisha. The staff was really helpful and courteous. Location is very nice and the money value for the provided service is great. I strongly recommend it

1  Thank Zoro2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I thought we would try somewhere different on a Monday evening and headed down Cowley Road.
Le Kesh looked like a good option after having a look at their menu.

After heading inside we were abruptly seated after the waiter (who looked like the manager/owner) muttered something about us 'not bothering to book' and were shoved into the far corner near the kitchen. There was absolutely no customer service and we felt quite unwelcome but decided to stay and hoped things would improve!
We ordered the mixed grill and chicken risotto. Both were quite tasty but unfortunately sitting right next to the kitchen I had full view of the chef who was filthy, eating whilst cooking and who microwaved our meat before putting it on the grill to make it appear fresh....

A few bites into his meal my partner starting choking on a large piece of fat that had been mixed up with the meat on his plate, it was really distressing and the manager had to peform the heimlich manoeuvre under the instructions of another customer. Fortunately he was fine after a few minutes and the waiter took away his food and asked if he would like a fresh plate. I had been completely put off my dinner and so we declined and he ate mine, we had only just started so he was happy to eat my risotto instead.

When we came to pay the bill came, the mixed grill, which had been taken away after about 3 bites was still on the bill, I asked the waitress to correct the mistake and her manager came over to say rather abruptly that it wasn't his fault we couldn't eat the food and we still needed to pay... I was amazed that he thought we should still need to pay for the meal he had taken away and not replaced because the meat had contained such a large piece of fat it almost choked my boyfriend to death -- with no apology!

In the end I refused to pay the full amount, paid for our drinks and my meal and have learnt my lesson. I will never be returning to Le Kesh to eat microwaved meat served by miserable staff. Such a shame as their menu, in the right hands could be a real winner.

4  Thank Amy M
Reviewed June 21, 2013

What really impressed us when trying this restaurant for the first time was the chef's obvious skill in subtly blending the various herbs and spices in all the dishes we tried. We started with a traditional soup containing chickpeas (amongst other ingredients), which was so tasty it was finished to the last drop by both of us. I then tried some excellent lamb meatballs, which had a number of different flavours throughout the dish, all of which were superb. My husband had a beautiful chicken dish for his main course, which again was superbly enhanced with various herbs and spices.
The entire meal, including the home-made bread and the wine, was excellent, and the service was very good, with just the right level of attentiveness.
We look forward to visiting it again!

1  Thank CarolB057