“Friendly staff and tasty food”
Review of Le Kesh

Le Kesh
Ranked #53 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Oxford, UK
“Friendly staff and tasty food”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We visited the restaurant yesterday with a Groupon voucher. The restaurant was empty as it was early but the waitress was very pleasant and our food arrived quickly. The salad starter was huge and I could not finish it. We both enjoyed our different main courses and we were given a free portion of fragrant rice that was not included in the deal. Definitely a good place to choose in a street crammed with eating houses. Lovely to sit in the window and watch the Cowley Rd world go by too!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable experience enhanced by sharing”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We visited as a group of 3 with a Groupon meal deal for two of us with my mother eating from the main menu. We had the falafel and fatoush respectively and my mother had fried broad beans. They were all tasty and plentiful and worked very well together as we shared. The mains from the meal deal were quite imaginative not just limited to tagines, good though I gather they are from other reviews. I had the Morrocan chicken risotto, a great fusion with a creamy pestotype risotto with olives, a little shredded chicken and a feta garnish. My partner had okra in a spicy tomato sauce with Lebanese rice which was also good. It was called something like 'bamieh biziet'. My mother had the kafta which were plentiful and lightly spiced which for her taste was good though some might have found them a little bland. They came with just a very small salad which would have been a problem if we hadn't been sharing but again eaten together it all worked very well to create a varied and balanced meal. The meal deal included a glass of win each and the red was soft and mellow and most acceptable. Service was attentive without being annoying and the ambience was pleasant with music and decor to compliment the food. It is worth checking what is coming with the main dish especially if you are eating alome or don't want to share! I didn't notice anything tasting excessively salty but did order water with the meal and certainly wanted plenty afterwards.
Overall a pleasant evening and we are likely to return when visiting Oxford.

Alton, United Kingdom
“A thirst inducing experience!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Whilst visiting our daughter in Oxford, we decided to go to Le Kesh for lunch after reading all the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. There was virtually nobody else in the restaurant when we were there that Saturday afternoon. We were served by a smiley waitress who was very helpful when we asked her some menu related questions. We started with a mixed meze, most of which tasted good except for the broad beans which were far too salty. The chicken tagine I had was also thirst inducing and did not come with any rice or cous-cous or bread which had to be ordered separately. My daughter's lamb tagine did not have enough spices to give it depth of flavour but it did come with rice! The service was prompt and courteous but overall we were disappointed with the food. We all had to slake our thirst with litres of water afterwards!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Acetastebuddy
Oxford, United Kingdom
“GROUPON EXPERIMENT”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The experience of Le Kesh on a Groupon deal was a good experience. The atmosphere was good, the food was fresh, well cooked and tasty and the staff were very attentive without being over bearing. A small glitch, I had asked to see the main menu with a view to returning again to Le Kesh. When a starter we asked for from the deal menu was not available I suggested a starter from the main menu and said I will be pleased to pay any difference, which I thought was fair and reasonable. I was advised that any main menu items had to be paid for in full. It was a small thing, maybe I was being unreasonable, and it did not affect what was a good dining experience. An additional glass a decent red wine at £2.50 completed a good evening and I would recommend trying this restaurant and will return.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Tasty Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cooking on the Cowley Road”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I don't know why this restaurant has been put into the African category, its food covers the whole of the Mediterranean, from Italy round to Morocco via the Lebanon, which wasn't in Africa the last time I looked. When I visited a couple of weeks ago at lunchtime the chef was preparing what promised to be a delicious scallop risotto for the evening menu.

I went back a few days later for an evening meal. Normally in a Middle Eastern restaurant I stick to the mezes, main dishes tend to be more of the same without the variety. But this time I ordered a Moroccan lamb tajine too, and I'm glad I did - it was rich and tasty, mutton rather than lamb, but that makes it better in my book.

Le Kesh is friendly, clean, good food at reasonable prices. What more could one want ?

• Visited June 2012