“A Wonderful Place”

Ranked #9 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Grand Cayman
“A Wonderful Place”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend at the end of January 2013 to attend a family party which was being held in the restaurant on the Sunday. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff and our room (number 4) was spotlessly clean, very cozy and charming and had the best selection of Twinnings tea we have ever been provided with!

The food in the restaurant was delicious and the restaurant staff did a superb job on the day of the party catering to over 30 of us. The cooked full English was probably the best I have ever eaten and well worth flying back from the Cayman Islands for.

Would not hesitate in recommending this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Newcastle
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a real treat to visit,situated 15mins from the park and ride on the west side of Oxford; the grade 2 listed property boasts a brilliant restaurant with some great rooms, . We stayed in room 9, classed as a luxury double. The room was a 'cosy' size but had plenty of character, beams, flat screen TV, radio and multi positioned speakers. A great room, bathroom was huge with free standing bath and rainforest shower, tv in the bathroom too! The room had plenty of attention to detail touches such as fresh milk, home made flapjacks, local superfoods and a great selection of teas. Comfortable and very relaxing.

The pub downstairs has some log fire rooms next to a more 'restaurant' feel areas. For food we were able to create our own sharing platter from a large selection to make up our first course. We had ham hock terrine, smoked mackerel pate, smoked salmon and hummus. For main my girlfriend had liver and I had lamb served with a range of accompaniments. Some great dessert choices too with delicious sorbet and a great take on a honeycomb cheesecake.

Breakfast the next morning had a large continental selection of lovely fresh fruit (which was fantastic), cereals, pastries etc with some good choices for hot breakfast. A tasty and well portioned full English breakfast finished me off. The staff were all excellent and very attentive at both dinner and breakfast.

I would definitely go back and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Oxford area.

Room Tip: Room 9 - Fantastic, large bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at The Bear & Ragged Staff last November (6.11.2012) staying overnight and enjoying a meal in the restaurant.

From the moment we arrived we were welcomed, made to feel comfortable and at ease.

The room, which was spacious, beautifully equipped and furnished, facilities - parking was plentiful, restaurant was superb and location (20 mins out of Oxford) were all fantastic and without fault, all members of staff we encountered were polite and friendly and a credit to the Inn.

Congratulations, I originally come from a background of running a 50 bed hotel in Kent and know how hard it is to please everyone so it was lovely to have such a nice time on this special occasion.

Room Tip: We had an end room in what I assume was originally a barn, there are 4 rooms (although I believe a n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last night and it was a Devine experience, as a business traveller I stay in many hotels and this one stands out. This is a lovely old pub in a really quite area but very accessible for doing business in Oxford. The staff were welcoming and friendly and I knew it was going to be good as I was shown up a rickety very old wooden staircase to my room at the top. It was a deluxe double and the bathroom was even bigger than the bedroom with a freestanding bath and awesome shower. All the old beams are exposed and you need to duck a lot but its charming and not annoying. The rooms were immaculate, extraordinarily clean with lovely thick warm carpet and a splendid bed. Flat screen TCs were in the bedroom and the bathroom although its better to be downstairs eating their excellent food and drinking their excellent beer! I will be returning here on every trip I make to Oxford.

• Stayed February 2013
Caerphilly
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great location within 20 mins drive of town. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was very comfortable clean and well appointed.
Food very good and selection of drinks with excellent dessert wines, continental beers and a few ales.
A grand breakfast with local produce saw us on our way.
Good lighting and a cosy atmosphere.
A full car park demonstrates how deservedly popular this is.

I'm giving the scoring as four not five. Reasons:-
Unfinished decor with a multiplicity of different screws holding up fittings. Detracted from the otherwise rustic appeal.
A pint of beer that was off but was changed without any issue.
Low door headroom. My fault for being 6'1". And the main house stair was difficult to negotiate with bags. It's an original feature so it's to be expected.

Losing a point doesn't mean we didn't love it.
Well done.
C

Room Tip: Room six. Lovely bed. Pillows too soft for me. Fab carpet. Double shower. Loo a bit too close to the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A beautiful BandB near Oxford.
The room was very comfortable and really pleasant. Very good breakfast.
The staff was always helpful and kind.
To eat at the restaurant was a Gourmet experience!
Big parking and fast Internet.
It was and excellent stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Middlesex
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My colleague and I had the pleasure of a night's stay at the Bear and Ragged Staff this week. We received a very warm welcome and were shown to fantastic rooms in the main house. Although above the bar, we couldn't hear anything from the rooms. The attention to detail in the design and fittings in the room is excellent with nice touches such as home made cookies and a healthy snack. The breakfast was fabulous and freshly cooked to order. Such a welcome change from the usual chain hotels. I look forward to working in the Oxford again soon so that I can stay at the Bear and Ragged Staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business