“Average food - good location for pre film coffee”
Review of Rick's Cafe

Rick's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 45 Coffee & Tea in Oxford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We visited this place before taking in a film at the art house cinema in Cowley. The cinema is located within a hundred metres on the opposite side of the road.

On a Saturday afternoon the place was pretty busy, mostly with students working at their laptops. The food options were fairly limited - all we saw were a list of paninis. A chicken and cheese panini was OK but the filling was barely warm. The cafe latte was good.

You have to queue at the counter to order, and any hot food items are brought to your table. The service was friendly and quick, with the tables kept reasonably clean for a venue of this type.

I'd say that the place is adequate but with a huge variety of other cafes in the area there is nothing that special to draw me back.

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Ok, all I had was a cherry macaroon and a chocolate and banana milkshake, but both were excellent. And the service, from an Italian gentleman, was warm and friendly.

A very casual atmosphere, interesting music being played in the background (REM, circa 1984!), mostly a student clientele, but not exclusively.

Seemed ok to plug in your laptop into their electricity supply too, which you get elsewhere - but not Everywhere.

Yep, I was won over.

1  Thank pedrov_dog
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My friends and I were really looking forward to this place, having read various reviews and having looked at the mouth-watering website (currently being updated, I think). We trekked across town to get to it and we were quite surprised to find quite a shabby little caff.

All that was on offer (Saturday lunchtime) were two trays of brightly coloured French macaroons and a couple of nice looking eclairs. The rest of the cabinets were empty and there was also an empty cabined shoved to the back of the cafe - nothing in the window to show what they serve. Nothing, from the outside, to make it stand out from the average greasy caff. We decided we would have nine macaroons between the three of us. The lady behind the counter was telling everyone there was no change, and she was rather flustered. I started to tell her what we wanted - there were no descriptions in the trays to say what the flavours were, but there was one small written list on top of the counter. Once I had pointed out the obvious ones - chocolate, pistachio, etc, I glanced at the menu and selected something exotic like, Mango and papaya. The girl shrugged and looked confused, so she called someone else over, who also shrugged and looked at me as though I had made up the flavour myself! I had to point out that it was actually on the menu, but I didn't know if it was the orange one or the yellow or what since there was no indication! I gave her a £20 for £12.50, and she scooped all the small change out of the till, so I had to carry a sack of coins around for the rest of the morning!

The coffee was very average, the macaroons very delicious, but that was really all there was in the way of patisserie. I don't know about the sandwiches and so on, but the website suggests that patisserie/confection is 'their thing'. The seating is rather cramped and preppy. The place is nothing to write home about really. It was busy, but when we were there it was mostly students and young families with babies and children. I would say it's not worth the trek (if you are the other side of town) just for great macaroons. Ricks certainly doesn't match up to its website description at the moment. Maybe the students and locals like it because it seems casual and scatty, but my recommendation for the weekend visitor who might be expecting the 'wow' factor is: only go if you are desperate for french macaroons (they are good)! My recommendation for Ricks is: fill up the counters with more of the yummy cakes and perhaps put a display cabinet in the window if you don't want people who have based their trip to your cafe on the beautiful website, to be disappointed.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a real neighbourhood cafe for people who want to avoid the coffee and ice cream chains further up the road. At Rick's, you will be remembered on your second visit and meet lots of other local coffee addicts (like myself). Great for a chat about what's going on in The Plain or just checking e-mails after work.

As other people here mentioned, Rick's is also know for its pastries. Sebastian, the guy who makes them, is a French patissier and recently opened Chateau Gateux one block down on St. Clements. Personally, I prefer the simple croissants, but most people seem to be crazy about the macaroons. I can only comment on the espresso (because that's what I usually have), but that's just perfect.

2  Thank arthur_kipps
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The cakes here are the best I've ever had. There are many traditional and innovative cakes on display, made skilfully by an extremely talented French chef. I recommend the salted caramel macarons, creme brulee tart and avocado tart. Less than a fiver for a coffee and tart. Absolute bargain!

1  Thank ddonovans