“Very nice hole in the wall” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Turf

The Turf
Ranked #13 of 53 Nightlife in Oxford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very nice hole in the wall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I loved this little pub hidden right in the heart of Oxford. They host a great selection of Lagers, Ales and pub grub. I found the history regarding Bill Clinton and ex-Australian PM quite entertaining. The service was friendly and the atmosphere was great.

Visited November 2012

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Mind the low ceiling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I remember going in here a few years back, cracking my head on the low ceiling, nearly knocking me to the floor, only to be told I wasn't being served as I obviously have had enough already - it would have been my first pint! If you do safely get through the door - top pub.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank David S S
Atlanta, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Turf Tavern is for Everyone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've frequented the Turf a number of times when in Oxford and never felt out of place. It's full of students and tutors and a few tourists. We usually sit outside which means you need a jacket in October.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank stotz89
Bristol, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Featured in Morse series.Food was excellent.Some very good beers were available-local brewed bitters.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank LordDudley
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Traditional Hobbit Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Turf is a really nice/quaint pub with a cool patio/garden area where you can drink beers and meet some interesting people. They have a fairly wide selection of lagers (tap beers), ales (british beers), and (hard) ciders all for a decent price. Someone told me it's the oldest pub in Oxford, but I'm not sure about the validity of that statement. It most certainly was originally owned by Hobbits, however, because the ceilings in the actual pub are a little under 2 metres (6 feet) tall. I hit my head more than once, but the service and the atmosphere more than made up for my pounding headache in the mornings (which probably also had more than a few pints to blame).

Be warned, pubs in Oxford, including the Turf, close at 11:00 PM for the most part, so start boozing early.

Visited July 2012