“Had better”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Oxford
“Had better”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had a meal at the Aziz courtesy of a Groupon voucher; consequently it was fairly good value for money, although had we paid full price, I would have been disappointed.

The food wasn’t bad, but not brilliant. The poppadums weren’t crisp, but the naan bread was, so I guess that made up for it! The choice of food was good and I enjoyed the starters. The main course was okay but certainly not the best I have tasted and some of it looked quite unappetizing due to the fact that a skin had formed on top most of the dishes. The naan bread ran out quickly, which wasn’t a bad thing as it was worst I had ever tasted. I observed that the food was topped up by someone bringing a large bowl out of the kitchen and pouring it on top of the food already on display, which I thought hygienically, was a bit worrying.

The desserts were also quite unappetizing and the fruit salad comprised mostly of apple, with no juice. I wasn’t brave enough to try any of the other things on offer.

The “as much as you can eat” regime is obviously popular with some larger diners and if you wanted a quick meal before or after going to the cinema and are not too fussy, it’s a suitable alternative to the other dining options at the Ozone complex.

The restaurant itself was clean and tidy and the staff friendly, although it was unusual to have English staff serving in an Indian restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank TheWickers

Oxford, UK
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our first visit to this restaurant. Very good choice of food, which was hot and constantly refreshed. Food was very tasty. Restaurant was very tidy and good lighting, with a buzz to the place. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. The only downside was that drinks were a little expensive. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited September 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Two hour wait for takeaway, portions tiny”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We ordered our takeaway from this restaurant at 18.05, and it wasn't delivered until 20.00, despite an advertised delivery time of 45-55 minutes. We phoned twice to find out where it was, but they just told us it was on its way and didn't seem bothered that we had been waiting more than an hour over the stated delivery time. When the food came it was lukewarm, and my portion of Tandoori King Prawns was pathetic: £10.95 for THREE prawns (and they weren't even that big). If I hadn't known, I'd have guessed that was the cheaper starter size. I've never been hungry at the end of a takeaway before! My wife had a very upset stomach about an hour after eating her food; it might not have been the takeaway, but after reading other reviews on here, I suspect it was. We've given this takeaway a couple of chances now (they previously got our order wrong and we had to wait again for the right food to be delivered) but we won't be using it any more; they just don't care about customer service.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Beatrice186361
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Avoid, avoid, avoid.”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Husband and I decided to try lunch here as we arrived to early for cinema. How I wished we'd gone to Frankie & Benny's across the way. We arrived at 12.20pm, shown to a table in the almost empty restaurant and left, with no explanation of what was available and no drinks order taken.

The buffet selection was very, very small. Vegetarian samosas and spring rolls looked as if they'd been there for a week and weren't replenished despite our request. There were three vats of gloop which allegedly had chicken in their depths. The Bombay potatoes were the best of a very small and very bad bunch. No naan bread on offer and the chicken wings were raw in the middle. All of the food was luke warm and only the chicken wings were topped up when we were there.

The dessert selection was no better. Jelly (and not a children's birthday party in sight), squishy lumps of bread and butter pudding (not really in keeping with the restaurant theme), tinned peaches and also "fresh" fruit available, which I would have tried expect the pineapple was so dry as to be dessicated and the melon and other fruits were taking on the bruised look of being past their best.

We finished in record time and went to the bar to pay. At no point were we asked if the food was ok, or if we had enjoyed the experience (usually a sign that the manager/waiter knows there was a problem).

I would suggest that this "restaurant" is avoided at all costs, especially as we are now experiencing the after effects of the food, which raises questions as to the hygiene practices of the restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank NotAtWorkToday
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth The Groupon & The Visit!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Didn't know about this restaurant here, let alone a cinema complex on Oxford! We were well received and as the food was ready and waiting the smell when entering was a draw in its self. Good choice, and service.

Visited July 2012