“Fabulous - gorgeous setting, ideal romantic location.”
Review of Middle Aston House

Middle Aston House
Ranked #33 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Middle Aston House is situated about a 10-15 min drive from Oxford city centre, it is located in the lush oxfordshire countryside and I have to say has a fabulous outlook and location.
We stayed here when we attended our friends wedding, who had their ceremony at the house.
Staff are very friendly and helpful and the house itself is very well looked after and stunning.
There is plenty of parking at the hotel, and there is also a bar and restaurant - that serves very good food, this is reflected in the price.
Our room was in purpose built accommodation just to the side of the main house. We paid £59 for a twin room (this included breakfast) and we were very happy with this. The bedrooms have plenty of room in them, a TV with all of the freeview channels and a large bathroom with bath and shower - there is also complimentary soap and shower gel dispensers. All in all from my experience of staying in hotels I would say that you do get good value for money and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can book your accommodation in the main house.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pigletlw

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here as a stop off to the cheltenham festival.. When we arrived the staff were very friendly and gave us a warm welcome... We got to the room and was very happy with it... We even did the dust test.. The only thing we found was a really dusty lamp.. The bed was snugly we had a good nights sleep.. We woke up to amazing views and the grounds were lovely...The evening meal was strange as there was not much choice.. The food was good but needed more choice... When we got up for breakfast we were very disappointed as there was nothing left so we had the scraps... They seemed surprised when we turned up.! When we got to the breakfast we knew why! Overall I suggest you get up early for the breakfast.. Even tho there was half hour left of breakfast when we turned up! When we came to pay.. We payed £10 less then we booked on the Internet :s

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I did the reading and research on this place and it sounded like the perfect friendly stop over......It is far from that. Upon arrival at reception we were made to feel like we were second class visitors and it was clear that the 'Delegates' were priority. We were give a key to the room in the cottage and told that we should drive there as it was at the other end of the estate from the main building. I enquired about any evening meal and was told that once chef is finished with the delegates he could make something up if there was anything left but it would not be until the delegates were finished at 9PM. We were told breakfast was at 7.30-8.45 (hardly accommodating).

The room was in a stone building at the end of a car park. The room was more like a hospital room that a guest room. The bed was not at all comfortable and the room was dated and very basic. The bathroom was cold bleak and unwelcoming.

You could hear the other guest/delegates banging around due to the poor acoustics.

I was so disappointed with a placed that promised so much.

Defiantly one to avoid!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Paul J
Reviewed July 18, 2012

A conference centre hotel overlooking the Cherwell valley, quite a long way from Oxford, but a couple of miles from Heyford Station.
A late c19 manor house supplemented by various annexes to hold the conference delegates. Extensive grounds, a bit unkempt in parts.We were in a cottage room, spacious and very well equipped, with welcoming reception. The big problem -- the room (with a big double bed!) had been set up for one, and we were two. So only one set of towels, cup, etc. Reception said this would be dealt with. It wasn't. Reminded them again -- still nothing. Not the sort of service you expect from a quite stylish establishment in2012...
So no bath, which on a wet day, was most unwelcome.
Good value and in a very pleasant quiet location.
Breakfast OK, though a bit chaotic in organisation; we didn't eat in the hotel as thge menu was very thin with few choices (pub, Red Lion, in Steeple Aston a mile or so away).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Loughtonian1
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great location within easy reach of Oxford and Finmere, which were the locations I needed for my two night stay. Loads of parking, beautiful surroundings and very clean. Rooms in the Cherwell block are quite small, and I found them a little cramped sometimes. The bathrooms are especially tight and while clean, could do with ventilation. The worst part about the accom is the sound insulation between rooms, which seemed to be lacking. When someone is on the phone next door, you can hear them. When they flush the toilet, you can hear them. When they're re-arranging their hangers, you can hear them. The noise isn't a huge deal, but if you're sensitive to ambient noise, it might bug you. The main house is very charming, and staff are attentive and very friendly. I enjoyed a delicious breakfast both mornings and would be very likely to stay here again. I'm not sure if there are any rooms in the main block, though I did notice some buildings that looked like stable conversions that I'd love to opt for the next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank rocksteady77
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here while attending an international medical conference in Oxford. Forced to stay here as rooms were sold out at most of the hotels & based on the high rating on tripadvisor, I thought it would be fine. However, this was a painful experience:
1. Room extremely small, bed linen was STAINED, cobwebs in bathroom,"sticky bath";yes shower was good,but I felt squeamish being in a filthy bath. The room smelt musty and the bed was so uncomfortable...really not what you need after being in an intense meeting all day!
2. I must add that the price was a rip off! I paid 140 pounds a night!!! ...if I'd paid 50 pounds, as most of the the reviewers did, I would be a bit more tolerant, but at the price I piad, this was a total rip off! I suspect the prices were inflated cos it was the Silverstone formula one races on over the weekend, which brings me to my next grievance!
3. I read from other reviewers that breakfast ends quite early at 845am,so was there for 830am on Saturday morning, only to be told that breakfast finished at 730am!!!! "cos of the Formula 1.!!!!!! This was outrageous as I tried to explain to the staff that I was NOT there for formula 1!!! To be fair,they did do their best to rustle up coffee,cereal & toast,but having paid over the odds anyway, this was totally unacceptable!!!...and without warning!!!!
4. The best thing about this place in the lovely surroundings, but really, unless you intend to sleep OUTSIDE,,,,what's the point????

The only good thing I have to say is that on the whole, the staff were friendly, but the whole experience was awful fro me...couldn't wait to get home to have a decent sleep!

Room Tip: Don't pay over the odds!!...NOT worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My Wife and I recently got married at Middle Aston house and all I can say is the whole event was perect, the food was excellent along with the service from all of the staff at Middle Aston, the rooms were clean bright and airy, I don't think that I have ever been to a venue where every single member of the staff wore genuine smiles throughout the whole day, They along with our guests made our special day just perfect,

Room Tip: Any room will be good they were all very good,
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple